Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Cordless Impact Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cordless Impact Question
Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi,

I have two cordless impacts: a small DeWalt, which is very nice for a variety of uses, and a 1/2" 300ft.lb. from Milwaukee, which is very nice for changing wheels without having to break the lug nuts loose by hand (as well as for breaking other things loose).

The Milwaukee tool is wonderful, but its batteries, whether NiCad or Lithium Ion, suck. Horribly. They don't hold a charge long, and they die permanently very quickly. And they cost a lot of money.

I'm considering just replacing the Milwaukee, rather than buying yet another battery. Do any of you have recommendations for a good, powerful impact, whose batteries have decent life?

Thanks.

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.jcwhitney.com/24-volt-cordless-impact-w...s=21&zmac=141&zmap=540111

Goodyear 24 volt for the win. Will break loose 80 ft lbs with a battery charge over 50%, and most importantly won't overtorque if you go the wrong way by accident. Give it 4 clicks when tightening, then go for the torque wrench and do the last 15 degrees.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently bought a 24V from Northern Tool for $99 (free shipping) that comes with a rapid charger, 2 batteries, and a case for everything. I love it. They say 210 ft lbs max. I went around the garage for an hour unscrewing stuff just to see if I could find something that it wouldn't budge. [Smile]

Crank bolt and flywheel bolts came off pretty easily and the battery lasts pretty well for lug nut use. If it starts to give me trouble on a bolt, I just pop on the other battery.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

!! Keith's impact looks identical to mine other than a different color scheme. His comes with 2 batteries. Buy his!

--------------------

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you already have other Craftsman 19.2V tools look at their new 19.2V 1/2" impact. Breaks lug nuts loose without problem. Good no-load speed. Choice of regular or lithium ion batteries. Very happy with mine.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just bought a Sears impact that breaks lug nuts. It's small but powerful.

Craftsman 19.2V C3 Impact Wrench

Got mine for $90 and 2 batteries for $70.

Love it so far.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

jmchin Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 83
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmchin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also bought the same Craftsman recently from the recommendation of the forum and it has worked great.

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Goodyear unit here. Breaks loose lug nuts easily and lasts for several tire set changes.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I recently bought a 24V from Northern Tool for $99 (free shipping) that comes with a rapid charger, 2 batteries, and a case for everything. I love it.

+1

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Goodyear unit I bought from PepBoys almost 3 years ago for $80. I keep waiting for it to die so I can buy something cooler, but it won't die. Still running strong.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:

Goodyear 24 volt for the win. Will break loose 80 ft lbs with a battery charge over 50%, and most importantly won't overtorque if you go the wrong way by accident. Give it 4 clicks when tightening, then go for the torque wrench and do the last 15 degrees.

Link for spare battery, which you definitely want:
Goodyear 24 volt battery [thumbsup]

Pete Maerz
Post edited to correct mix up.

tLinder

Region: SW
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JimEli:
quote:
I recently bought a 24V from Northern Tool for $99 (free shipping) that comes with a rapid charger, 2 batteries, and a case for everything. I love it.

+1
Looks like the NT one is on b/o [Frown]
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342878_200342878

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got a used longacre one off of ebay.
it lasts a long time on a charge, and has been flawless.
i would not hestitate to recommend it.
Josh

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I went around the garage for an hour unscrewing stuff just to see if I could find something that it wouldn't budge. [Smile]

I don't know you Keith (nor have I met you) but that statement I think I'm going to print out and save. Perhaps it's my dirty mind but the first thought I had was "Good thing his wife wasn't in the garage..." [rolling on floor laughin]
[duck]

Thanks for the laugh...
Brandon

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got my Goodyear at Pep Boys a few years ago. Still going strong. Went to get a few more for pitstops at this year's 25 and they no longer had the Goodyear, but they did have a Great Neck 24V impact gun which looked almost identical to the Goodyear. Batteries are slightly different though.

Long story short (too late) I like the Great Necks more than the Goodyear. My Goodyear's trigger is either off or on. The GNs have a variable speed trigger. Although I note in the product specs on JCWhitney that they say the Goodyear is variable speed. If that's true, I'm guessing the current Goodyear available at JCW is the same impact as the Great Neck at Pep Boys, just with different packaging.

quote:
Originally posted by breathesfire:
quote:

I like this one better:
Goodyear 24 volt impact gun - nice guy price [thumbsup]

Pete Maerz

When you click to buy the "nice guy price" $39.99 impact gun, the next screen lists it as just the battery. The impact gun is still $99.99.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

My GY is variable speed.

--------------------

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had the craftsman 19.2v for a few months. I like it so far. I am using the NiCd's for the impact wrench; I save the LiIon's for the drill/driver.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
My GY is variable speed.

Mine too. And I bought it at PepBoys a few years ago too about the same time as Rob.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Replaced a Milwaukee with a Great Neck from pep boys. Awesome gun especially at the Christmas sale price of $59.99.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TR6:
quote:
My GY is variable speed.

Mine too. And I bought it at PepBoys a few years ago too about the same time as Rob.
Weird. I just checked it again. No variable speed for my GY. Maybe its about to take a dive.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have used a 18Volt Dewalt for the past 4 years with great success. It will break anything free and the charge will last a weekend. I have only distroyed 2 batteries which I also use with my sawzall and screwgun. So I don't know what actually made them go bad. The down side was that it was pricey, but considering I can use the same system for 3 tools, it may be worth the money.
jmo

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just picked up a Great Neck one at PepBoys this weekend: $89.99; so there has been a bit of inflation on the price.

Haven't used it yet but will put it to work this weekend at NHMS for my second drivers school.

Anyone found a source for the battery if you wanted an extra one?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sear's just had the Craftsman impact on sale for 84.95 (battery not included). I've used it several times in the past week. I like it a lot.

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone using the Milwalkee? I need a gun that can take off 20 sets of wheels without recharging!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:
Just picked up a Great Neck one at PepBoys this weekend: $89.99; so there has been a bit of inflation on the price.

Haven't used it yet but will put it to work this weekend at NHMS for my second drivers school.

Anyone found a source for the battery if you wanted an extra one?

Look on the shelf just below where you picked up the impact gun. IIRC the battery itself isn't much cheaper than the gun/battery (when Pep Boys does their rebate).

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Still can't beat the deal at Northern Tool, gun with charger and 2 batteries for $99.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used my Pep Boys gun to change wheels after every session this weekend and loaned it to other drivers who used it and it still didn't need a charge.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Anyone using the Milwalkee? I need a gun that can take off 20 sets of wheels without recharging!

yep 24v works fantastic. 3 yrs now, no issues.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had the Milwaukee gun for 5 years and its been great, kept its charge for a long time till last month and now last only a couple days just sitting at rest. I have not tried to see how continually it will work since then. I have not tried 20 sets but I would guess you would need 2 batteries.

My friends Milwaukee has 2 batteries and they have both died. Price the replacement batteries!!!

--------------------
Paul McLester

cintibob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got my towns mixed up its a chicago electric batterys 65 dollars.

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 98
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i have the craftsman one, as I already had a couple of batteries, and drills, and a small impact driver, and a flashlight...

I bought it about 7-9 months ago and have used it a bunch! I really like it, and would say it's about the best tool purchase I've made for "At the track"

make sure you get two batteries

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think one of the secrets to maintaining long battery life is to wait to re-charge till it's done. At least that's what I do and it semms to work.. Also don't keep the batteries in the heat.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The pep boys gun has plenty of power and a battery last a long time, but be warned, after a while they seem to get some play in the shaft, and then when using it the "wiggle" starts to damage the studs.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Dewalt 18V 1/2 drive kit: Impact, charger and 2 battries. And it kicks butt... Even though I have trouble keeping track of the batteries and charger (Thanks to my fellow racers for returning my wayward stuff).

I bought it on E-Bay - this is the same kit I have: Current bid on e-bay: $191...
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-18-VOLT-1...ain_0&hash=item4ceee6a06d

MZ

[ 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Z-MAN ]

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^^I've got the same Dewalt gun and it works great. It was my wedding gift from my wife [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

cintibob

Home Depot just put on sale a ryobi 1+ for 69 dollars, lithium batteries $89 for 2 $59 for 2 nicd the gun has 850 in/lbs torque. I do not know if that is powerful enough or not.

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

850 / 12 = 70.8 ft-lbs.

cintibob

Does not look strong enough.

Randy Thieme

When doing my own shopping for impact wrenches I noticed a pattern where if the manufacturer lists the torque by in-lbs rather than ft-lbs they're usually trying to hide the fact it's a lower-powered wrench.

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I decided to buy a 200 ft.-lb. Craftsman impact, with two batteries and a charger, for $169. That's two more batteries for my Milwaukee; seems like an easy decision.

It should be able to break loose lug nuts easily. For real heavy duty tasks, I have air.

Field report of the Pep Boys model:

Fantastic! The wife was able to break loose all the lugs when we did the pair of tire changes this past weekend during my school.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Brandon

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DAL_MOBILE:
quote:
Originally posted by JimEli:
quote:

+1
Looks like the NT one is on b/o [Frown]
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342878_200342878

This one is in stock again, and on sale for $84.99. Get it while it lasts [Smile]

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: