Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » closing holes below package tray

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: closing holes below package tray
Ray Meister Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Car #: 38
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Meister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I need to close two holes below the package tray. They are about 4 inches by 6 inches and there is one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The main hoop of my roll cage is directly in front of these holes which lead into the trunk. I cut some pieces of cardboard which fit pretty well and was going to have some sheet metal cut to size but I thought someone might have a better/easier way to do this. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Ray

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ray:
This is where you get to learn some metalworking skills! Seriously, just cut out two pieces that fit the openings and either screw or pop rivet them into place. Unfortunately the main hoop typically makes for pretty close quarters.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Meister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
Ray

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cut paper card stock and make a template to fill the holes. A lot eaiser to work with the paper for fitting. The transfer it to sheet metal.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you're not into fabrication, I know that one of the SM shops that's well known to this forum sells a set of "Rear Bulkhead Block Off Plates" for a reasonable price. Just Google the phrase.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

miata cage sells these.

http://www.miatacage.com/fire-plates-p-90.html?osC...c1ac6599f8366e689176b1db4

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

miata cage fire plates and good qulaity aluminum tape for sealing a/c ducts.

Thanks to Ralph, Richard, Motor City Hamilton, & Mitch for your input. Much appreciated.
Ray

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: