Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Electrical or Fuel?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Electrical or Fuel?
ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay, tell me what this problem sounds like. Run the car up to 7000-rpm and shift and every thing feels fine. Run the car up 6500-6800-rpm and hold it there and the car bucks. Kind-of feels like you're either hitting the rev-limiter or fuel is being cut. This is a '99 and they are known for trouble-some coil packs. Fuel filter was just replaced; pump is original w/80k on it. Injectors?

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pull the pump out of the tank and look at the screen on the bottom, also see if the tank is pressurizing and check the overflow from or to I believe the charcoal canister (under the hood close to the TB) If it is filling with fuel there is an issue with the recurlation of fuel back to the tank.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No charcoal canister, etc. All emissions equipment have been removed. Tank is vented via the rollover valve. Taking a look at the pump sock might be a good idea.

--------------------
Chris

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the emissions stuff is removed, you may have lots of worms in that can.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

ChrisA

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
If the emissions stuff is removed, you may have lots of worms in that can.

Well, this could be true, but the car has been this way for a few years now without any issues. Last Sept I had a similar thing happen, but it happened more frequently/regularly as the revs got high. I replaced the coil pack with a "used unit" and it was fine after that. I do have another new coil pack on hand if needed. The thing that made me think it could be fuel related was that it only occurred in two areas. Both were after fairly long carousels that required feathering the throttle at high-rpm before slowing for another corner.

--------------------
Chris

ChrisA

I borrowed a friends code reader today. I didn't pull any code referencing a misfire, which I would think you would get if the coil was going bad. Correct?

So, I guess that would point more toward a fuel supply issue, unless there is something else the could cause this. Grrr...

--------------------
Chris

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: