next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Clutch Noise

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Clutch Noise
Howard

Region: NORTHEAST
Car #: 66
SMIM: SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Howard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I start up from stopped I get a quick screech (almost like a tire chirp - maybe it is) when I let the clutch out. Sometims a little shudder also. Car supposedly has an ATC clutch. Shifting once moving is fine. No sign of slippage. Is this normal for this clutch or is getting time for a new one?

Howard

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Clutch's usually don't make noise when they are slipping they just slip.You have to find out what clutch is in your car,if it's a 4 puck disc it will shutter a little bit when you take off at a start.The throw out bearing will make noise,but usually when your foot is off the clutch pedal.

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Greg Arsenault Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 54
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Arsenault     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pilot bearing?

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Two possibilities that come to my mind are:
a) Throw-out bearing - which may or may not be bad, sometimes they just make a little noise with light contact on the Pressure Plate fingers.
b) You need to grease the contact point of the Slave Cylinder piston on the clutch fork.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Howard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Howard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys. The noise comes just as my foot comes off the clutch pedal and only when starting up. It would seem that the throw out bearing would make noise when I have the pedal depressed and there is pressure on it. Am I missing something? Is there a way to lube the pilot bearing without tearing the whole thing apart?

Howard

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW, mine makes the same noise: screech and a bit of judder when moving off. Obviously my friends assume I can't manage a clutch [blush] but seems like I'm not the only one - interested in any ideas on the cause!

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Thanks guys. The noise comes just as my foot comes off the clutch pedal and only when starting up. It would seem that the throw out bearing would make noise when I have the pedal depressed and there is pressure on it. Am I missing something? Is there a way to lube the pilot bearing without tearing the whole thing apart?

Howard

Yes the throw out bearing can make noise when your foot is off the clutch pedal.The reason why it makes noise when your foot is off the pedal is,the fork that push's the throw out bearing only grabs the outside of the bearing.When there is no pressure on the bearing(foot off clutch)it free spins and you can hear the bearing outer ring binding (chirping).When you push the clutch down the pressure keeps the bearing (outer bearing ring)from wobbling around,and thats why the noise goes away.These throw out bearings are diff.then wheel bearing's.Wheel bearings usually make more noise when you put pressure on them!

Usually when the pilot bearing goes bad you should be able to hear it all the time (usually).That doesn't mean it's not bad.

For what it's worth,mine makes the same noise and that's because I have a three year old clutch in my car.I will change it once it starts to slip.

I hope this helps you out a little!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Howard

Thanks Bob - helps with peace of mind. I was kind of worried that something was going to let go in a big way. If the chirp lasted longer people might think I had enough power under the hood to lay down some rubber!

Howard

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: