Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Clutch wiring

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Clutch wiring
Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I must not be using the right words to search on how to disable the wiring at the clutch which requires the clutch to be depressed in order to start a '99.
Can anyone help?

--------------------
Ken

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Crawl under the dash, find the switch on the pedal that controls the clutch (not the brake lights), cut both wires, hook them together, done.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
Crawl under the dash, find the switch on the pedal that controls the clutch (not the brake lights), cut both wires, hook them together, done.

If memory serves, there may be two sets of wires attached to the switches on the clutch pedal. The small gauge ones go to the cruise control. The large ones are in the starter circuit.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
The small gauge ones go to the LAUNCH control. The large ones are in the starter circuit.

Fixed it for you... [Big Grin]

Thanks, I was wondering what the smaller clutch sensor was for actually. My donor car didn't have cruise control but I guess they put the switch in regardless.

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Viet-Tam Luu:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
The small gauge ones go to the LAUNCH control. The large ones are in the starter circuit.

Fixed it for you... [Big Grin]

Thanks, I was wondering what the smaller clutch sensor was for actually. My donor car didn't have cruise control but I guess they put the switch in regardless.

Kent is close they (on the 1.6) go to the ECU (if I remember correctly it is for idle control)

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On my '99, there are 2 sets of wires...1 set - small guage, connects to a plunger on the clutch arm. When disconnected from the plunger, the car starts with the clutch depressed.
The other set, larger guage (12ga.?, black w/green strip) connect to a unit near the top of the clutch against the firewall. When this is disconnected from it's harness, the car will not start at all.
So am I correct to cut the larger second set of wires and connect them together to disable the system?

--------------------
Ken

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't cut the wires. Make a small jumper instead and retain the connector. Much cleaner and reversible.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is the benefit of disconnecting this interlock?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

I just finished...crimp a male spade connector on each end of a 3" piece of 14ga wire and plug it into the female wire harness of the wire that comes from the switch high under the dash and right up against the firewall.
I did it because when I am working on the engine and need to start the car it is a lot easier to just reach my hand in and turn the key then to have to get my fat butt in the car and depress the clutch...but then I am old, lazy, and try to work smarter, not harder!
Thanks to everyone for their input.

--------------------
Ken

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Instead of climbing in, just stick my right leg in and depress the clutch to start it. I can't think of too many things I like to do less on the car than anything involving being upside down in the foot well. I'd stick my leg in 100x to avoid that.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Keith, you are absolutely right but then you are probably taller and more limber than my short old frame.
Also, since I already had the top off, the seat out and other things to work on in the cockpit, it wasn't too bad.
I have also heard that with the clutch override disconnected, it is possible to use the starter to move the car during an on-track emergency.

--------------------
Ken

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
Kent is close they (on the 1.6) go to the ECU (if I remember correctly it is for idle control)

Correctamundo. Miata.net is stuffed silly with questions regarding idle quality issues that occur only when the clutch is depressed. The cause is that switch fails and the computer does not compensate correctly.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Alan Fudge Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 21
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alan Fudge     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not only idle quality. After changing two starters, one battery, one ignition switch, and one master power switch did I bypass the clutch switch and fix my intermittent starting problem which of course always happened at the worst times like sitting on grid.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I did it because when I am working on the engine and need to start the car it is a lot easier to just reach my hand in and turn the key then to have to get my fat butt in the car and depress the clutch...but then I am old, lazy, and try to work smarter, not harder!
Note to self: make sure car is in neutral.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys are overlooking that the starter can be used to move a disabled car out of a bad spot on track, but only if the interlock is defeated.

I haven't had to do it in the SM, but my Jeep could make almost 25 MPH on the starter in 5th gear. The coordination was tricky with alternating my right hand between shifting and working the starter switch.

It only made it about a half mile, but that was enough to get to the gas station....

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AAA and a cellphone work too. [Wink]

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My 911 and my old TR6 both do not have a starter safety interlock on the clutch pedal, so I am already used to double and triple checking that the gear lever is in neutral. But I still hear stories of others who forget to check for neutral and accidently stuff their car into a garage wall, another car, their wife, etc... [Smile]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did this mod to my 2002 SM this weekend. Had the seat out anyway for harness replacement, so didn't mind crawling under the dash. On my car, the wires were soldered to the terminals on the switch for some reason. So I removed the switch and cut the two wires (leaving enough length on the switch in case for some reason I ever want to reinstall it). Then I connected them together using a butt connector and zip-tied it up out of the way. On my car, it was the larger gauge wires that I cut. Tested and working great.

What convinced me that this is a good modification was someone else's suggestion above that if the engine quits on the track, I can use the starter to get the car out of the way.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
AAA and a cellphone work too. [Wink]

Its a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.

UCFBrett

Region: NASA SoCal
Car #: 255
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for UCFBrett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the interest of helping others identify which is the neutral safety switch:

It's the one mounted forward of the pedal, closest to the firewall. The switch rod is pushed in with the pedal. It is not the one behind the pedal with the rod that releases when the clutch is depressed.

I know because I made a jumper for the one behind the clutch pedal, and the car still wouldn't start unless the clutch pedal was depressed. Duh.

Also, on my 95, I tried to pull the wires out of the switch, thinking that's where the connector was, but the wires are attached permanently. The connector is farther up the harness.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: