Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » fuel transfer pump

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: fuel transfer pump
ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking for a pump to transfer fuel. Usually, I drain the old fuel from my car after it has been sitting during the off-season or long intervals between events (fresh gas is better). I've done this by attaching a hose to the fuel filter and jumping the fuel pump. Of course, messing with the filter always leads to an arm soaked in fuel, which I'd like to avoid. I have used a friends Flo-Fast pump on my 5-gal jugs at the track and it works really well. However, that sucker is $150 and I'd rather not spend that right now. Anybody have any suggestions that would work well and be cost effective?

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Umm... fuel test port?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Umm... fuel test port?

I USE TEST PORT AND HAVE A JUMPER WIRE AT DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Umm... fuel test port?

I USE TEST PORT AND HAVE A JUMPER WIRE AT DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR
Yep... sounds like the easiest/safest way to me.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My fuel test port is on the low pressure side and takes forever to empty the tank. Is this how/where it is supposed to be done?

--------------------
Paul McLester

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
My fuel test port is on the low pressure side and takes forever to empty the tank. Is this how/where it is supposed to be done?

If you were in a 99.. You would only have a high pressure side [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Think about that question for a minute Paul. Assuming the engine isn't running while you drain the tank, would you expect more fuel flowing into the rail, or out of the rail? [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

paul,

i've done both... High pressure side is much, much, much faster...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want a 99, but no $ from clients [Frown] Keith, I did and someone else told me it was a safety issue? I am going to switch to the high side. thanks Sam!

--------------------
Paul McLester

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dooh! Where has my brain been?

--------------------
Chris

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought a universal fuel pump from Autozone for $50. It looks like what you'd find mounted to an old truck frame from the 70's. Came with a fuel filter and wiring. I added aligator clips and run it off of 12 volts. Can use car battery or an external power supply. I attached a 3 foot length of hose to it and pump it out through the filler hole. Guessing that I'm leaving a half gallon in the tank???

It was right out in the center isles of the store in the accessories isles.

Maybe it was Murry's, now O'reilly's auto parts. Not the exact one, but looks alot like this.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ATN0/E8445....ectric&pt=N0515&ppt=C0128

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, If you're concerned about safety, put double hose clamps on the connections and use the fuel line type hose clamps instead of the cheap generic ones. I do. No way that connection will fail. I use double hose clamps on my water lines and when the motor blew it actually put so much pressure through the system it domed the top of my Koyo radiator. That's some serious pressure and the lines didn't burst and the hose connections didn't leak.

I don't know what type of test port you use, but I haven't heard of one fail. The weakest point is still probably the little fuel rail o-rings. One tiny little nick on those suckers and you have a major leak.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Good advice! The test port won't fail as it is solid brass tee with an AN fitting on the tee.

--------------------
Paul McLester

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The weakest point is still probably the little fuel rail o-rings. One tiny little nick on those suckers and you have a major leak.

agree, by far the most common fuel leak I've seen...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

ChrisA

So how do you guys with '99s splice in or replace the flex line for the test port? What with the plastic line not accepting the T fitting, and the GM quick release design to the hardlines not really providing a secure seating for rubber hose.

--------------------
Chris

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:
So how do you guys with '99s splice in or replace the flex line for the test port? What with the plastic line not accepting the T fitting, and the GM quick release design to the hardlines not really providing a secure seating for rubber hose.

We replace the short plastic hose with rubber fuel line

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

ChrisA

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:

We replace the short plastic hose with rubber fuel line
Do you shove it over the humps the quick release clips to, or clamp force enough to secure it to the smooth hardline? Also, is there a test-port for the T that folks have found best?

--------------------
Chris

MegaModerator

I have done both ways. My guys slide over the metal. I prefer to slice the hose off quick disconnect and then slid hose on and use small hose clamp. It looks neater, but a little more work.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Jim's way allows the FP to be adjusted easier! [Smash] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: