Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Need to replace warped rotors - replace pads to?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Need to replace warped rotors - replace pads to?
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

During a test session last week, I started getting a brake rotor vibration in the front left. I am going to replace the front rotors but my XP10 pads are in real good shape. Can I change rotors and keep the pads?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, you can just replace the rotors. You probably didn't warp the rotors, you likely have pad deposit issues. XP10s do this, that is why I don't use them anymore.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone ever successfully evened out uneven pad deposits left by XP10s, and if so, how? I had the same problem at my last race, and the deposits on my rotors are now visibly uneven. Feels like a waste to throw out otherwise perfectly good rotors.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve, FWIW, I've just ignored the effects of pad deposits, and they generally go away fairly quickly. If they don't, I'll change rotors, but that hasn't been necessary in a long time.

Popped seals in the brake calipers, on the other hand, don't seem to fix themselves....

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I brought mine to a local machine shop. For $8 each they turned the rotors just enough to get the deposits off. Worked great.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting, thanks! Wish I didn't have another new set of XP10s in the truck if they cause these issues. Any idea why they do this?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Short version? They get above their designed operating temperature.

I was never happy with the feel of the carbos, and am going to go try the hawk dtc60. if that doesn't work, lamb seems to do alright(!) with the cobalts and they'll be next.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
Interesting, thanks! Wish I didn't have another new set of XP10s in the truck if they cause these issues. Any idea why they do this?

Well the Carbotech fans will tell you that you must not have bedded them in properly. I believe it's really an issue of rotor temps & pad compound. Tracks with a lot of hard braking and little cool down time are the ones that did it to me. It happened to me 4 times, so I dropped them and sold my backup pair. Sure is disconcerting to enter the braking zone and feel like the wheels may fly off, isn't it.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If there are any other disenchanted XP 10/8 fans out there who what to sell thier back up's
cheap PM ME! Been on them for five years. Never had an issue.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

An abrasive disk mounted on a drill does a nice job of removing excess pad deposits. Also, depending on the pad, driving slowly around the paddock dragging the brake (with cold brakes) will sometimes grind off the excess deposits.

I've seen excess pad deposits form when the pads are overheated AND when they never get up to the proper temp.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know what's changed, but after using Carbotechs successfully for two years, I went through my last set (the set that left the uneven deposits) in just two race weekends.

I'm thinking about switching to a pad that has similar friction characteristics (i.e. not super grabby), but lasts longer and has a higher temperature range. Does this Holy Grail of pads exist?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: