Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Interior paint question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Interior paint question
Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm painting my interior. I want to do white but I'm concerned that painting the package shelf white will create bad glare on the rear window. Should I go with black there, or is that not a problem?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A little searching turned up my answer: flat black on the shelf it is!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds hot! I had a white car and a buffed out package shelf cover for years, and I did see a reflection from time to time, but never while racing.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a few cars with all white interiors, no problems with the package shelf glare here!

This is the best picture I could find, doesn't show the shelf completely, but you get the idea.

-

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the first rule of Italian racing, what is behind you is not important!!! transpose your best Italian accent there. Compliments of Cannonball run

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had glare when mine was new in the back window. I think because it wasn't flat white. I spay painted the walls black around the back window, but I think after I ran the car and it got a little dirty and the shine was gone it was fine.

White coolest (temp) Blacks hottest, Not good if you're in the paddock in the sun.
J~

Kyle Burkhardt

Def sticking with white for the rest. Maybe I'll do the shelf white. I can always redo it if the glare is a problem.

Thanks for the responses.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you're not going for the entire tub up type paint job like this:

-

may i suggest a GLOSS grey like this:

-

-

-

it is nice and uniform, hides smudges and dirt a little better than white yet is not as hot as black.

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Marc, what type of paint are you using for the gloss grey? This is my next step in my build. Have you had any lucky with Por-15?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree, we use gray as well. I got it from Mike Cottrell.
I have run lots of white cars and glare has never been an issue.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Kyle Burkhardt

Looks nice Marc. Already started with the white. Got the package shelf and cage done and so far taking my time is paying off. I should be able to finish with the floors and back wall this weekend!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Flath:
Marc, what type of paint are you using for the gloss grey? This is my next step in my build. Have you had any lucky with Por-15?

Krylon classic grey gloss.

upc code on can is 2450403551

it's not the cheapest but the more expensive the paint the better it will coat. expect to use 2-4 cans for the interior and add another 2-4 if your doing the engine bay and trunk.

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by oem steve:
the first rule of Italian racing, what is behind you is not important!!! transpose your best Italian accent there. Compliments of Cannonball run

I believe thats from the one that came before--The Gumball Rally

db

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by planet-miata.com:

upc code on can is 2450403551

it's not the cheapest but the more expensive the paint the better it will coat. expect to use 2-4 cans for the interior and add another 2-4 if your doing the engine bay and trunk.

Thanks Marc. FYI for everyone else, it is Krylon 3551. I just ordered 10 cans from acehardwareoutlet.com for $3.80 each. With shipping it came to like $45.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW: 1 gallon of paint weighs approx. 10 lbs, depending on type of paint.

Dave Metz

Car #: TBD
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Metz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

10 pounds is the weight of the can of a gallon, but as far as how much weight it will add, it will be less. Depending on the type of paint, about 1/3 will be solvent weight which will evaporate in the drying process. Plus an amount will be lost in overspray depending on how it is applied.

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by planet-miata.com:
If you're not going for the entire tub up type paint job like this:

-

may i suggest a GLOSS grey like this:

-

-

-

it is nice and uniform, hides smudges and dirt a little better than white yet is not as hot as black.

Marc the black car looks like Cannatti's I know it well.

I painted my shelf silver and had glare problems I bought black bed liner pain and it worked well.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jay,

Just a heads up the Por-15 you were asking about has no UV protection. You would have to clear coat it if it exposed to the sun. I prefer the look of a base coat, clear coat finish myself. Its a little more durable but costs more $$.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: