Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Need help with shifter issue!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Need help with shifter issue!
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am wanting to replace the various plastic washers along with the small rubber boot at the very base of the shifter (mine is torn). I have removed the entire unit from the reservoir, purchased the aforementioned items, but can not seem to figure out how to get the old parts up the shifter.

It seems to me that the black metal shifter upon which the knob threads onto must in some way be removeable so that the round metal piece with the 3 screw holes and the accompaning black gasket and boot can be removed upward. There appears to be a very small hole on the side of the shifter which can be depressed leading me to think that this depressing allows the black tapered shifter to slide up and off in some way. Not sure if that is the key or not.

Can't find anything in archives, my shop manual or anything. Would like to get this done prior to this weeks racing. Thanks much.....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The shifter doesn't come apart. Cut the old one off, the new one will stretch over the shifter with a little lube.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remove as much of the rubber bellows as possible. I just use a pair of side cutters. The metal piece will then slide over the shift handle. When you reinstall the boot, a little lube makes it go on easier. WD40, silicone spray, just about anything will work

dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the comments Dave and Steven, but I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to replace. It is the very small rubber boot and gasket which sits atop the round metal cap just above the nicely polished round ball which goes into the reservoir. I do not see how cutting away anything can allow me to install the new reservoice cap with accompanying black boot. The metal round cap, rubber gasket and rubber bootie thing are one unit and must be able to be slid up the polished core shaft which is underneath the black tapered shifter.

My car is a '91 but doubt that matters. Thanks...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

W. Bonsell

I am re-thinking your comments guys...are you saying that the opening of the metal cap which is about 3" wide or so has an opening under all that rubber which will allow it to slide up the shifter shaft? And with a little lube, can be slid back down the shaft. (geez, this stuff sounds weird).

I also bought the little plastic washers and little metal curvy things that drop down upon the polished round ball. These will only go on, once the infamous cap with torn rubber is removed, correct??

I am not much of a wrencher so please be patient..thanks again...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now you got it.

Cut away the rubber and the metal flange just barely slids up the shaft.

A liitle lube and the new one goes down on the shaft (pun intended)

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

W. Bonsell

Thanks Dave...
Will give it a go tonight and see how she likes it.
(The car I mean)...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A little lube for the car, LOTS of lube for her...

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

W. Bonsell

Problem fixed. Just slid that little thing up the shaft and then slid the new one down and hooked her up with new fluid. Working like a charm I think...will know for sure this weekend..

Thanks everyone...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: