Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Body painting tips?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Body painting tips?
CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just picked up a new bumper cover and am wondering about painting it. It's plastic, so does it need to be sanded and/or primed? I've got some single stage paint that someone donated last week. I've also got an old Devilbiss paint gun that I have no idea how to use. I'd prefer to rattlecan this job but I don't see that as an option with this free can of paint that I've got.

While we're on the subject, any tips for someone wanting to re-spray a metal front fender that's been beaten and banged, and has several places where the old paint is either cracked or flaking off? Every dent I bang out results in cracked paint and too many decals all over the nose looks lame.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You really should add some flex stuff to the paint for the bumper cover. It is called flex additive, and it keeps the paint from cracking every time the rubber flexes. You can find it at any good auto parts outlet that sells paint supplies. NAPA may carry it.

wheel

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are painting it on the car, you don't need the additive. It only helps for the first few days anyhow. When the paint fully cures the additive is gone.

The real purpose is to avoid cracking a freshly painted part while handling it.

If the old bumper paint is not flaky, scuff it with a pad, then primer and paint.

If anything is flaky (like the fender) then there is some sanding to do. Get rid of anything flaky, or nearly flaky, scuff the rest then primer and paint.

We do 10 to 20 bumper jobs a week this way with no cracking.

kneedragger302

Region: Milwaukee
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kneedragger302     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Scuff and Spray it if the new bumper has the factory applied primer/sealer. Most decent paints expecially single stages have a flex agent in them already.

--------------------
Nic Piekarski
Sheboygan Falls WI
Newbie to SCCA/MC and SM

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The bumper cover is brand new and appears to be plastic only...no coating, paint or anything. I can let it sit for 3-4 days after painting, as the car isn't off the frame machine yet. Do I need to prime it?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

kneedragger302

Icon 1 posted  Profile for kneedragger302     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, you really should use a primer/sealer to help with adhesion. Letting the paint sit after your spray it is always the best to make sure you have a good full cure.

--------------------
Nic Piekarski
Sheboygan Falls WI
Newbie to SCCA/MC and SM

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had good luck with PPG's K36 Urethane Primer it has good adhesion properties over the bumpers

kneedragger302

Or if you wanna go a bit cheaper the Omni epoxy Primer works good and mates well with the PPG/Omni line paint. Omni is just a cheaper PPG line product.

--------------------
Nic Piekarski
Sheboygan Falls WI
Newbie to SCCA/MC and SM

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If that cover is bare plastic it is going to need to be cleaned with soap and water than washed repeatedly with a product such as dx103 alchol based cleaner by PPG to get the mold release agents out of the cover. then scuffed with a white or grey scuff pad then sprayed with a plastic prep such as bulldog just be sure not to apply it to heavy usually 2 light coats will suffice. you can then either seal it or paint over top of it at this point.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by oem steve:
If that cover is bare plastic it is going to need to be cleaned with soap and water than washed repeatedly with a product such as dx103 alchol based cleaner by PPG to get the mold release agents out of the cover. then scuffed with a white or grey scuff pad then sprayed with a plastic prep such as bulldog just be sure not to apply it to heavy usually 2 light coats will suffice. you can then either seal it or paint over top of it at this point.

Most OEM and aftermarket bumper covers come pre-primed except for Toyota and Mazda.The advice above is what you need to do otherwise it will come off in sheets.

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you know I forgot about PPG's latest bumper product which is SU-4901 sponge scuff pad and SU-4902 prep wipe. The sponge scuff pad is used to clean and scuff the bumper at the same time it actually comes in a pouch with a cleaner in it. And the wipes need to applied in one direction only after you have washed off the bumper. then it is ready to apply either sealer or paint. I too also use the omni epoxy sealer mp171 (white) or 172 (black) mixed together or just buy the grey

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here are some "tips". There are even some painted bumper covers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009_swimsuit/painting/

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: