Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Water Temp Sender

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Water Temp Sender
Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm putting in my gauges, OP/WT Saferacer/longacre sent me a 230. I was thinking 205~210

I seached and found this but it's 200 (maybe 205)
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=180

And this looks like it would work.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQFordQQTempoQQ4-...5c7ab9e&apwidpRIBYe9#desc

Anybody else have a better mousetrap?
J~

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wired a warning light up to the fan so it lights up when the fan is activated- no need for another sensor. My fan comes on at around 210 degrees.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Hot Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gale, Way too easy.
Thanks,
J~

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Gale, Way too easy.
Thanks,
J~

That's what I was hinting at in the PM's Johnny! [Smile]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Hot Member

The brain trust, I'd should of known.
Thanks guys,
J~

Hot Member

quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
I wired a warning light up to the fan so it lights up when the fan is activated- no need for another sensor. My fan comes on at around 210 degrees.

How often does your light come on?
I have a SD Rad. in mine.
J~

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Now if my fan worked....

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
quote:

How often does your light come on?
I have a SD Rad. in mine.
J~

Depends on how hot it is outside. It will come on in a draft when it's hot enough outside. Or it will come on often when it's 107 degrees like it was at Hallett 2 weeks ago [Eek!]

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You might consider a cooling system pressure sensor.

If you get a hole in the rad you may drain the coolant out so fast that the temp wont go up fast enough to light the light - no coolant = no measurement.

A few years ago my co-driver in an enduro got a hole in the rad and missed all the signs and melted down the best motor I ever had...

Looking at the Traqmate data there was only about 5 seconds of temps above 200 and it never got above 210... In fact after it peaked the sensor measured around 180 until the engine died.

After that damage I installed this kit - I used a small 12VDC light from Radio Shack and mounted in the cluster right above the tach.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1094&catid=11

Works great

Good luck,

MZ

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

z-man... we've tried to get that to work and find we never make enough pressure to turn off the light. What's your trick?

--------------------

Newt Watson Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 41
Car #: 95
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Newt Watson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kent,

Where did you mount the pressure sensor?

Newt

Future Never Has Been

Heater hose loop.

--------------------

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put mine in the top hose.
3" piece of 1 1/4 steel tube and a bung, bought the switch (3lb) from Summit. Works great.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Longacre kit 20141 has a sensor that will close the switch when the pressure is below 3 PSI.

I plumbed it into the top radiator hose and I run a 16 PSI cap. If I remember right the wiring was no big deal - just make sure the connections are secure.

Here is a link to a source for sensor mounting adapters:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=ELECADAPT

If it doesn't work, use an ohm meter and check the switch cold with the cap open and then measure it hot and pressurized to make sure you see the switch working and that it does not have a high resistance in the closed position.

MZ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: