Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Fire nozzle location

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Fire nozzle location
Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm installing a system with 6 nozzles. I installed the same system in my BMW. I want to put two nozzles on my lower torso and feet, two in the engine compartment, and two on the gas tank. Im my bimmer, the tank and pumps were right under where the rear seat used to be so I just aimed one nozzle at each pump cover. Where do you suggest I mount them on the Miata?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You definitely have me out nozzled. I use Halon and have one pointing at the fuel rail and the other into the foot well. Your plan sounds good to me.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yah, but where to put the nozzles for the fuel tank? One in the trunk aimed at the corner where the filler neck comes in. How about the other?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The shop (MER) that installed my system put the one in the trunk aimed at the fuel filler neck and the area where it meets the tank. I have a 3 nozzle system, so I have that one in the trunk, one facing my waist/torso, and one in the engine bay centered on the firewall aimed over the top of the engine.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Newt Watson Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 41
Car #: 95
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Newt Watson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have four nozzled, one going under the cover on the rear deck on top of the fuel tank, one in drivers foot well, one over drivers right shoulder aimed at torso, and final one over fuel rail in engine bay. With six I would also have one aimed at the filler hose as you suggest.

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would have one in the engine bay, one in the gas tank area and four pointed at me.

Kyle Burkhardt

Does anyone know the spray pattern for this SPA system? Do I have to have have the nozzles pointed pretty close to where I want the stuff to go (eg fuel rail), or will two nozzles in the engine compartment pretty much flood the compartment as long as they aren't pointed up at the windsheild?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have three under the hood.....one opposite the fuel rail, one on the firewall pointed at the fuel rail, and one to spray at the left side of the cyl head area, one mounted on the top right roll cage next to the windshield to spray across the car at me, one under the dash aimed at my waist area, and one near the roll bar on the driver side aimed at my feet. My system went off by accident and I can tell you that I was covered in foam as was my car. The idea is not to save your car, but to give you enough time to get out! I also kept my handheld in the event of an oil fire (blown motor) or grass fire under the car when you pull off. that one is for saving the car until the corner workers can get to me!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Kyle Burkhardt

Paul:

So precise aim isn't as important? Does that nozzle on pass side shoot you in the head? I had always heard to have them aimed at the torso/legs cause you don't want to be on fire AND blind!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it safe to say that any nozzles in the cockpit should not be aimed high enough where they might spray in your face? I could see that causing you a problem (visibility) when you are trying to exit with foam either all over your face shield or worse, in your eyes if your shield was open.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

omg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safe Craft uses a product that does not create foam. I was told it was what is used on Jet aircraft now. Does not leave foam residue. Gatoratty has the set up that I like. More the better.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At your feet

At the fuel rail

At the gas tank

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The passenger side nozzle is mounted to spray down and at the driver's side. I can tell you that when the system went off I could see perfectly (a little spray on my visor, but not enough to block vision). The idea is to have one of the nozzles that knocks down the flames that might be around you. I took a hose and washed the foam off the interior and the engine and went racing again the next day. Having the handheld also allows you to keep racing if your main system gets discharged. My driver suit was soaked from head to toe and my engine was covered with foam. SPA refilled the bottle for free due to my system having outdated brackets. regular refill is $70.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I work for a fire suppression company. While not the same as staying at a Holiday Inn, it does allow me access to some pretty knowlegeble guys. When I asked them the best way to approach this problem their solution was:

1. Stop it at the likely source(s).
2. Stop it from getting to driver along the most likely flame path.
3. Protect anything of lesser value after that.

Accordingly, my system (not installed yet), will have a nozzle on each side of the engine (likely sources of fuel and ignition), and nozzles in the footwell (the most likely direction flames will travel.

Last, I will aim a nozzle at the fuel tank. This is a compromise, but I feel that the likelyhood of a fuel tank induced fire being an issue is far less than the others. The reason is simple - given the location of the tank in a Miata, if I hit something hard enough to impinge on that well protected area I probably have a lot of other issues to worry about first.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Wreckerboy:
...I feel that the likelyhood of a fuel tank induced fire being an issue is far less than the others. The reason is simple - given the location of the tank in a Miata, if I hit something hard enough to impinge on that well protected area I probably have a lot of other issues to worry about first.

I would think the connection point and location of the Fuel Filter is in an area more susceptible to crash damage than the tank. Fill Tube and Filter are low protection points. Outside of a crash killing you, I don't think much rates above being severely burned. That said, I really need to get a good system.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In my LS1 miata, I've got EXACTLY what Gattoratty has described. Haven't had to use it (yet)!

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

omg

So a six nozzle system:

2 engine

1 gas tank

3 on me

Thats what I am doing.

There is probably less than a 1% chance I will need it, but if that time comes I will be so thankful.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: