Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Radiator weight

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Radiator weight
D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just compared the weight difference of my 1.6L first with a large Koyo radiator and then with the stock radiator. The overall difference was 15 lbs (Koyo heavier than stock).

With the new lower weight and the fact the I run in the Midwest, I'm wondering if there might be a lighter solution for me than the big Koyo.

Does anyone know of a "small Koyo" or other aluminum radiator which might make a better compromise for weight vs performance? I've looked on line but so far haven't seen a lot of good info on radiator volumes

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They do make a Koyo that's a 36mm instead of 52.

A nice economy solution is get eith a stock or an alumimum Koyo for an AT car. They're about 2x stock thickness due to the oil cooler (maybe about an inch thick) and pretty inexpensive. We used a stock AT one in 90+ heat during a 24hr chump car and it did very well.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run the stock A/T radiator in my protege down here in florida. with the oem 195 degree thermo my car never gets over 200. might be apples and oranges but might not. same engine as the 94-97 atleast.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: