Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Caster Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Caster Question
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone running split caster settings to help with predominantly right or left turn tracks? I assume I would want a little less positive caster on the right side for a predominantly right hand track?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee, I did some posts on this about a month ago. I can only get -2.5 front left camber. I came across some articles on car set up that were interesting about staggering caster. I have staggered my front caster about a half a degree more on the left front than the right. so far I like it. I am running 5.5 on the left front and 5 on the right. I am going to keep adding a 1/2 degree at a time.
See this article http://www.stockcarracing.com/tipstricks/camber_caster_toe_setup/index.html

adding more caster on the left front should allow the car to turn in better till mid corner when you straighten out the wheel then the effects of the added caster would be lost. If you go to far the car may want to pull to the right when going straight or be difficult to turn the wheel at turn in.

I am going to bump it up to one degree offset next time out.

It should be good for tight in, to mid corner condition.

You want more positive caster on the left front for better turn in on the right. the more caster on the left front will allow more left front camber

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Frank, I do remember your previous post now. As an old dirt tracker, I know the caster stagger works on a dirt mod, I was just toying with applying the same method to the SM. Of course in the dirt, I ran about 1.5 degree difference side to side.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have left the caster split trick to my circle track days. We were always trying to get the car to turn left only. Running caster split actually helps drop the nose of the car in one direction at turn in. It will do the opposite turning right.

First question I would ask is what are you trying to accomplish or overcome? Is the car not handling well in one direction? Or are you just looking for that last little bit of corner speed? In my opinion, wedge is a less intrusive finer adjustment tool (i.e., won't kill turn in as much one way while helping another).

Of course my opinion would change if I were racing on ROvals.

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
I have left the caster split trick to my circle track days. We were always trying to get the car to turn left only. Running caster split actually helps drop the nose of the car in one direction at turn in. It will do the opposite turning right.

First question I would ask is what are you trying to accomplish or overcome? Is the car not handling well in one direction? Or are you just looking for that last little bit of corner speed? In my opinion, wedge is a less intrusive finer adjustment tool (i.e., won't kill turn in as much one way while helping another).

Of course my opinion would change if I were racing on ROvals.

In my case, I could not increase the camber and I was trying to help my turn in to mid corner to fee up the car some. I am running 0 toe and did not want to go to toe out to help the turn in as I have a long straight at Mid Ohio that I thought would scrub speed. I plan on tinkering with cross wt next year, when I get some scales.

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
Thanks Frank, I do remember your previous post now. As an old dirt tracker, I know the caster stagger works on a dirt mod, I was just toying with applying the same method to the SM. Of course in the dirt, I ran about 1.5 degree difference side to side.

Lee, I used to "do it in the dirt" years ago. The Nascar guys play with it on Pavement too.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: