Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » What Model Year To Choose

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What Model Year To Choose
crash999

Icon 1 posted  Profile for crash999     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello everyone. We (my wife & I) come from circle track racing where we raced my step son. He has since moved on to have his own team, so we have been put out to pasture. We would like to spend our spare time at a race track instead of golf course.
We had to opportunity to go to the Auto Bahn in Joliet IL. last weekend for a NASA race with a friend who has a couple of road cars (Z06 and a Miata Spec). We had a ball, the people were awesome and the racing pretty intense. So the question is which model year do I look for to start a build. I've read about the different years and the pros and cons of such, but I would really appreciate some input from others.
After we find the car what about the Spec Miata in a box?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[twocents] This is just my half-assed opinion, but if I were to start from scratch today I'd find a clean 1999, have a custom cage installed, put on a pro head, add the spec suspension and go racing.

Too many 'patches' and potential rule changes with the 1st gen cars.

-Denny

crash999

Icon 1 posted  Profile for crash999     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks, Denny
What about the Miata in a Box form Advance Autosports?

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

crash99, starting on Sept. 20th the SCCA Runoffs will start at Road America. Testing for the Runoffs is going on this week. IIRC 64 Spec Miatas have been entered from across the United States. Approx 600 cars total. Qualifying runs from Mon. through Thur. with races from Fri. through Sun. The Spec Miata race is at 11:30 Friday.

If you were to Google "SCCA", then Club Racing, then Nation Championship races you would find a bunch of information on the Runoffs.

As you have found road racers are an open (to a degree [Wink] ) fun folks to hang with. If you find F production car #51 dark blue with no roof or windshield I would be happy to direct you to locations of the Spec Miata folks.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

crash999

David, We will be at ORP (O'Riley Raceway Park)in Indy For the Super Late Model Race at that time.
Don

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

crash999,

I can't speak for the "Miata in a Box" from Advanced Autosports, however I use several of his products on the cars I work on and race. His "Oil Relocation Kit", "Shut Off Switch Kit", "Brake Lines" and "Window Kits" quickly come to mind. Good stuff and his service is first rate.

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Crash,

If you care to come up to Blackhawk Farms Raceway north of Rockford this Sunday, there is a Midwest Council race going on, that at last count had 20 SM's going, and a good variety of them.

Best of all, Dave Wheeler will be there with his crew and more than a few of his cars...I bet he would LOVE to answer all your questions!

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Michael J

Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael J     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Crash,

I've been contemplating the same issue, my thoughts were, if you can find a nice pro built car cheap, then get it no matter the year. If you are going to start from scratch, then get a '99. They keep making changes to the other years to keep up with the '99 so you might as well start with it and save some agravation. Also if you are not a smaller guy, and since diets suck, you would be better with the '99

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Spec Miata in a Box is a great way to go, But I am Biased!!!!

I will be at Road America this weekend. The rest of my crew will be at Blackhawk for the Council race. 9 cars at Blackhawk and 3 at Road America is just too much fun ;-(

I have several cars for sale starting at $12,000 and going up. Feel free to give me a call after the Runoffs if you can not make it to Road America.

Dave

One more thing, buy the book!!!!!

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Gcat

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gcat     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. I purchased a 94 that I got a great deal on and will need to part out a lot of it since it is modded anyway, but decided it would be best just to sell it and get a 99 since adding in the 4.3 rear end and almost(not completely decided upon) the 99+ front suspension. Adding both of those to any car ths isn't a 99 is going to cost anywhere from 2000 to 3000. That money can be spent on getting a 99 already with less mileage, less wear and more than likely still come out ahead in price. For a new comer it almost seems like they are forcing the class to go this way. Pretty ridiculous and it has crossed my mind to go to spec944 instead due to some other things I dont agree with in Specmiata.

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Crash999,

Many factors will play a role in your car decision but the main one will be budget. If that isn't an issue then find a pro car in the classified section(any year) and start having fun! If you want to build your own and budget isn't an issue find a 99(donor cost is more up front). If budget is an issue then find a NA (cheap donor) and start ordering stuff!

If you expect to be at the pointy end of the field your 2nd race then rent until you realize this isn't going to happen redardless of what year you build. In our region the top 3 guys have all 3 cars covered(1.6,1.8,99)so I wouldn't get to hung up on a year until you have many hrs of seat time under your belt. Then you'll pass your car onto another newbie and then build your dream car! [twocents]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Find out what other people in your region are racing. If virtually everyone has the same car a) it's easy to find one used b) it will be easier for people to help you with the setup/prep, and c) when you're in a jam and need a part, someone will have it. If there's a huge mix then it doesn't really matter but if you're the odd man out, it can make things more difficult.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

crash999

First, I would like to thank everyone for the input.
Its been decided.
1999 Model
Stewart going to get the engine
Parts to be divided

Don

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
For a new comer it almost seems like they are forcing the class to go this way.
You noticed that too?!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: