Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Garage Lift- question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Garage Lift- question
Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am finally building that garage I have wanted for the last 3 years. I have looked at the "backyard buddy" 4 post lift which appears to be good quality and a bit pricey. I also found a decent lift at about 1/2 the cost at Greg Smiths, its an Atlas Lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TPPRO-PARK8S&Show=TechSpecs

Anyone have any experience with this lift or know anyone who has one. Thanks Frank.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

RON BURGUNDY Verified Driver

Region: NEO
Car #: 48
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RON BURGUNDY     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would think that a 4 post lift limits the type of work you can do. I would think a 2 post makes more sense because you can do more work with wheels off, like suspension, and brake work. If you were looking for a 4 post for the stack option to maximize storage of vehicles you could do it with a 2 post lift, just raise the car to the height you need and then let it set back on the safety catches built into the lift so you dont have long term weight on the cables. JMHO

--------------------
"I Don't Know How To Put This.. But.. I Am Kind Of A big Deal.. People Know Me..I Have Many Leather Bound Books And My Apartment Smells of Rich Mahogany.."

Frank Todaro

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

they make rolling jacks for the 4 post lift so you can put the car up in the air. I do like the stability of the 4 post lift for the winter storage. I also want to do alignments on the 4 post. So trying to see if anyone has anything bad to say about this lift.

--------------------
Frank

Rory

Region: Atl
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rory     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank,

I have been toying with the idea of a lift for years. I am actually very close (again). I also discovered the Atlas lifts. I live in Atlanta so went to their showroom. The folks were very helpful and seemed knowledgeable. The lifts look good, but I'm not sure I'd know how to tell a bad one.

I've searched some other places and found only good opinions of them. When I bite the bullet, it will likely be one of the Atlas lifts (and perhaps tire machines). The consensus I've found is for the hobbiest/small volume shop, they are a good bang for the buck. Folks also seem to like Rotary.

Although my information is all at least second hand, I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

How big is your garage? Make it bigger and taller than you think you will ever need. Just my .02.

I also found on a Porsche site a reference to an accessory that is a pair of ramps that the car drives onto that are then lifted by the 2 post lift allowing it to act as a drive on/4 post lift.

Good Luck.
Rory

--------------------
ARTEO Graphics
arteo@earthlink.net

Seabee

Region: NER
Car #: 61
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Seabee     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank,

I have one of their 4 post lifts in service for about 6 years now. No issues.

Two other friends purchased the 4 post lift and also have no issues.

I made a set of stands for the front and rear so taking off all wheels can be done. Or if you are simply doing work on one corner the stock miata screw jack works great.

And I also do my alignments on it. Made level pads for my scales and roll-off platforms. Car sits and waist height for toe and camber checks and you can slide under the car and make adjustments.

--------------------
Steve

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use their four post lift. Works great. We also have their hydraulic jack option that allows us to lift the front or rear of the car off of the lift.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Frank Todaro

Have you all ever check out BackYard Buddy this is a much more solid lift,They use heavy duty steel to build this with rollers with grease fittings and so on, but more costly. I just wonder if for my 2500 lb Miata it is a bit of over kill?

http://www.backyard-buddy.com/backyardbuddy-7000lb-Lifts.html

--------------------
Frank

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a two post lift from Greg Smith, 9000 lbs. Great lift no problems. I have 5inches of cement, and 13 foot ceiling in my garage.

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:
I am finally building that garage I have wanted for the last 3 years. I have looked at the "backyard buddy" 4 post lift which appears to be good quality and a bit pricey. I also found a decent lift at about 1/2 the cost at Greg Smiths, its an Atlas Lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TPPRO-PARK8S&Show=TechSpecs

Anyone have any experience with this lift or know anyone who has one. Thanks Frank.

My brother and I bought inexpensive 4 posts from China, which is where most are made, even the atlas from greg smith. They are all very similar. Just make sure you get the 220v. The 110v is so slow, that after the novalty of having the lift wears off, you will be pissed you didn't spend the extra $100.

Frank Todaro

quote:
Originally posted by Mike888:
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:

My brother and I bought inexpensive 4 posts from China, which is where most are made, even the atlas from greg smith. They are all very similar. Just make sure you get the 220v. The 110v is so slow, that after the novalty of having the lift wears off, you will be pissed you didn't spend the extra $100.
So It has not collapsed on you yet? Thanks for the tip on the 220. any issues with repairs or parts, if they needed to be replaced.

--------------------
Frank

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: