Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Transmission bolt size, thread and length

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Transmission bolt size, thread and length
Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can anyone confirm that the thread size is M12x1.5?

Anyone have lengths for both the long and short bolts?

Thanks in advance.

The reason behind this question is the last few tranny bolts I got from MazdaComp all seem much more prone to stretching than the original bolts on the car (even when torquing to the lower end of the spec, and its not my torque wrench). So I'm going to get some Class 8.8 and 10.9 from McMaster to see if they work better.

Anyone else experience this with the newer bolts?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob:
I've had the transmissions out of my 1.6 at least five times and I've never had a loose bolt, or a distorted thread. (Alternativly, I've never replaced the circa 1990 fasteners either.)

Are you saying that you are seeing stretched bolts? Given thier cross section mass and torque values, that seems very odd.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You bought new bolts..... wow!

Seriously, I would give you dimensions, but I would have to take the bolts out and I have never had a loose bolt on the tranny, and I would say my torque wrench IS likely wrong!

Have you considered a junkyard tranny/motor?

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Rob:
I've had the transmissions out of my 1.6 at least five times and I've never had a loose bolt, or a distorted thread. (Alternativly, I've never replaced the circa 1990 fasteners either.)

Are you saying that you are seeing stretched bolts? Given thier cross section mass and torque values, that seems very odd.
Rick

The original bolts haven't stretched, but some of the new bolts have. So I'm not surprised that your original bolts haven't stretched.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: