Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Best Torque Wrench

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best Torque Wrench
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a choice to make about purchasing a replacement torque wrench and thought I should consult my fellow racers.
What I have is a Craftsman torque wrench but the adjustment handle slip in and out but does not seem to be changing the torque setting even though the marking on the handle show I am. I tried taking it back to a local Sears to be told the Lifetime replacement does not include torque wrenches as they are only replaced for 1 year. After all of that I am trying to decide what torque wrench to purchase as a replacement, so what is your torque wrench of choice?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What do you do with it? If you do a lot of car work, then get a Snap-On. If you are just using it to tighten lug nuts, then get another Craftsman, Husky or even Harbor Freight unit.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just make sure that when you're done using it, always loosen it to the lowest torque setting (or lower) to take tension off the spring. That will improve the life of whatever torque wrench you buy.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My Harbor Freight unit failed me the last time I used it. I'd set it for like 28 pounds. I kept torquing a flywheel bolt thinking, "Geez, that feels like a lot more than 28 pounds?" Snap goes the bolt.

Never heard about releasing the tension. Good tip.

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I never thought about releasing the tension either. VERY good tip.
I bought it as I was using it to rebuild a motor and then once I was done I started using it a 80ftlbs to torque lug nuts.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i have 4 snap on torque wrenches.
i would only get a quality one that does not have a plastic handle.
the sears ones are a dissapointment, and i would never get any precision tool from harbor freight.
i got mine used on ebay for good deals, and then had them calibrated.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After two Craftsman wrenches with broken handles I bought a Snap-on. It was $250 or so but it's already outlasted the two others.

Ken

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought Craftsman tools had a lifetime warranty until I broke mine. Screwdrivers and sockets might. Torque wrenches it's a year. Their socket wrenches have really gone down hill too. I keep trading in my 3/8" wrenches for new ones and they keep throwing the old ones in a big bin of broken ones.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys who don't release tension, you may want to calibrate to another known good unit. I left mine tight over a winter and it was toast.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Spence Gatrell

Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The answer to all your problems..

Snap-On tech wrench.
-its digital, so no relieving pressure
-works in lbs. ft. and N m
-also does degrees. I still don't know how but it does.. even if you let up for a new swing

I should get a truck with tools for this.

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New Huskey unit head failed after only 5 race weekends. Good thing it is guaranteed for life

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Spence Gatrell:
The answer to all your problems..

Snap-On tech wrench.
-its digital, so no relieving pressure
-works in lbs. ft. and N m
-also does degrees. I still don't know how but it does.. even if you let up for a new swing

I should get a truck with tools for this.

I've got 2 Snap-On clickers, an inch-pounder and a 1/2" drive Big Boy. I need to replace my Kobalt 3/8" drive as the plastic handle is getting a little lose feeling. I like the Techwrench, but will probably go with another Snap-on clicker, as I know the Race-car will will demand that money for something else.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

SCCA_Racer

Here is a funny part to the story I left out as I thought it was not relevant. I originally bought a HF special 1/2 drive to replace my Dads old torque wrench, which used a pointer, and degree band to tell how much torque was applied. Anyway, the HF unit was working great for torquing on all sorts of stuff, but then I decided to rebuild an engine and thought I should buy a new torque wrench as quality and calibration should be better. I figured since Craftsman had a lifetime warranty (not knowing torque wrenches were exempt) their torque wrench would be the best for the price. I got the Craftsman torque wrench and it worked great until last month when I noticed the plastic handle slipping in and out but does not come off. Since the Craftsman wrench is iffy as to whether it works or not I dug around and found my old HF wrench and guess what it still works. Yeah I know the calibration is probably off but hey at least it works.
I am still deciding what to do as the Snap-On sound like the best choice. It also sounds like the Snap-On digital torque wrenches us a strain gauge to calculate torque so no springs are used. Oh if only I had the money:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&too...ID=985&store=&dir=catalog
Hmmm so, spend a whole lot on a Snap-On or buy a Craftsman and return it a year for a replacement to get another new one. Choices choices?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: