Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Did a dumb thing--brake bleed question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Did a dumb thing--brake bleed question
Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was bleeding with a Motiv and got to the FL corner. I let the resevoir get empty. I refilled and rebled that corner til no bubbles came out. Is that it, or will I have air throughout the system now?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Probably, will take a while for the air to get to the rears now.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You might have to bench bleed the brake MC. Little air bubbles love to hide there.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle

Feel your pain [banghead]

Wouldn't you be able to tell by pedal feel? Is the pedal "hard" or "mushy". If "mushy" you have your answer .....

Regardless, I would blow the $30 on brake fluid to try and flush all the lines.

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd bleed all 4 corners again to be sure. I've had this happen before thinking I was just doing a quick bleed and didn't want to put fluid in the Motive tank. It's easy to run the MC reservoir dry if you aren't constantly watching it.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yah, normally I fill the Motive, but I was being lazy.

Chris, we'll see friday how it feels.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup [Big Grin] See you Friday.

FWIW, I never fill the Motive - just too much hassle and waste of fluid, easier to fill reservoir on car and make sure to keep an eye on it - although, obviously this method has its risks .....

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle, bleed the whole system now.

I'm with Chris. Just use the Motive to pressurize the reservoir. Less mess.

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Motive shmotive. I have one and don't use it anymore. I've used the motive, mighty vac, speed bleeders, etc. Ended up going to the old tried and true method of using a bleed bottle and pumping the pedal. Just watch the reservoir. Fill it after each corner. It only takes about 4-5 pumps to get the fluid through any one of the lines. If you use the bottle right, you will never get bubbles in the system. BTW, a motive will not work with speed bleeders.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For "problem" bleeds I have resorted to gravity bleeding 10/15 minutes per corner. JUst open the bleeder and keep a hose in place. Driver QUIT complaining after!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

VanB

Car #: 93
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for VanB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had people tell me to get the left rear corner as high in the air as possible. Because of the bends in the line that goes to it air likes to get trapped there. Any one else subscribe to that belief?

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard that the right rear was actually the farthest away from the reservoir.

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
For "problem" bleeds I have resorted to gravity bleeding 10/15 minutes per corner. JUst open the bleeder and keep a hose in place. Driver QUIT complaining after!

I've got the bleeding thing down, but how do you get the driver to quit complaining? [banghead]

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

VanB

Car #: 93
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for VanB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
I heard that the right rear was actually the farthest away from the reservoir.

Measure the actual length of the rear brake lines and let me know what you find. With the junction block next to the right rear wheel it stands to reason there is more distance to the left rear than the front.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: