Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » rear wheel bearing problem

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: rear wheel bearing problem
SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So i'm still in the process of building the'94. The front and rear suspension is in but not the dif or axles. I have to move the car so i install rotors and wheels and move the car a total of 50 ft tops. it's in it's new home and today i get it back up on jack stands and there's alot of play in rear bearings that was not there before. is it possable that rolling the car around without the axles caused damage to the bearings? is this normal and with the axles installed the play will disappear?damn this car is fighting me every step of the way.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are the hub nuts on tight? if the bearing's were fine before the rebuild, and they aren't now, the only thing i could think would be the nut's aren't tight.

but someone here might tell me i'm wrong...

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the axles were out of the car, there were no hub nuts holding preload on the bearings, only the hubs. It's possible the hub slipped.
Personally, I'd replace the bearings doing a new build anyway, they're not very expensive.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

SAE113 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

unfortunately the bearings were just checked,packed and new seals installed by the shop that installed the new bushings.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a set of old outer cv joints with no axles, just for this purpose. Rolling a car around, or just setting it on its wheels with no bearing preload can damage the bearings.

Are the bearings damaged, MAYBE
Will they be OK when torqued, MAYBE
How long will the last, Who Knows

Only you should make that decision. I know what I would do. Replace the bearings and not worry about it.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

SAE113 Verified Driver

thanks guys.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Once again, Dave you are the answerman!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not to hijack, but a somewhat related question: how do the local parts house bearings compare to the OEM bearings? MazdaSpeed bearings are on backorder and I need one fairly quick.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
Not to hijack, but a somewhat related question: how do the local parts house bearings compare to the OEM bearings? MazdaSpeed bearings are on backorder and I need one fairly quick.

Lee,

According to one of the gentlemen at Mazdaspeed the rear bearings are most likely from the same manufacturer and the OEM bearing.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have bought aftermarket hubs and bearing that have the Mazda part number on the boxes. Go figure???

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Stay away from the cheaper line of parts house bearings. I have had lots of those get loose in only a weekend or two. the premium line seems to be fine.

I would also stay away from Timken brand rear bearings. You would expect them to be premium parts, but they only last a session or two before they get loose.

dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh good! The spare I've been carrying is a Timken.
I'll have to get another.
Thanks Dave!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: