Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Fuel Smell

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Fuel Smell
SHOEDOG

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am getting a fuel smell in my 99 SM.It seems to be worse after the cars is run for 20 min or so but I might just notice it more then.

I can smell it outside the car after I come off track.Inside the cockpit on track.

I have noticed it at the back of the car also.

Thanks,
Shoedog

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check your gasket on top of the gas tank where you access the pump. Have you had the cover off recently?

If not that, start tracing out the fuel lines.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look carfully at the injectors where they connect to the fuel rail. I've had those little o-rings leak when nicked ever so slightly on install. It can be very difficult to see the leak. The fuel likes to dribble down into places you can't get your head.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Exhaust too close to the tank and its building pressure?

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You have probably filled the charcoal canister with fuel either at the under hood canister or at the canister near the fuel filter.

There are 2 small hoses that go from the fuel tank to the fuel filler neck. Loop one from the tank, back to the other tank nipple. Loop the filler neck hose the same way.

Looping the hoses will stop this from happening again. But, it will take a little running to purge the fuel from the canisters

This is legal per SMAC decision a couple months ago

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

SHOEDOG

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The charcoal canister might very well be the culprit.

For one thing it dosen't smell quite like raw fuel-so the cannister might be trying to do it's job.
Also when I removed the rear bulkhead cover to check the top of the fuel tank I got a big wiff.

Is this a common problem?

A friend with a garage has a device to "smoke" the fuel system.You hook the device up to the fuel filler and pump smoke into it and look for leaks.
I imagine the charcoal cannister must let out at least a little smoke as part of thier function??????????
Thanks,
Shoedog

SHOEDOG

Will cutting out the rollover valve and the fuel tank pressure sender cause any problems?????????
Thanks
Shoedog

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
You have probably filled the charcoal canister with fuel either at the under hood canister or at the canister near the fuel filter.

There are 2 small hoses that go from the fuel tank to the fuel filler neck. Loop one from the tank, back to the other tank nipple. Loop the filler neck hose the same way.

Looping the hoses will stop this from happening again. But, it will take a little running to purge the fuel from the canisters

This is legal per SMAC decision a couple months ago

Dave

Nothing in the GCR permits this.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SHOEDOG:
Will cutting out the rollover valve and the fuel tank pressure sender cause any problems?????????
Thanks
Shoedog

The answer is no, but I wouldn't recommend it given the fair chances of ending up on your lid some day. I've seen three SM's in the "turtle" position this season alone. Cutting out the flap okay .... cutting out the roll over ball not.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: