Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Won't start, no spark 99'

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Won't start, no spark 99'
cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a 99' stock 120k motor. It's been running flawlessly since I bought the car. Over the weekend, I changed the oil and replaced the motor mounts.
#1 I replaced the motor mounts by jacking the front of the engine using the crank pulley as my lift point. Did not disconnect the battery while doing this.
Engine turns over, but won't fire. Checked spark in one cylinder and no spark. Could I have crushed something on the way up, all help and suggestions appreciated.
#2 Unrelated, I replaced the starter with a new Mazdacomp starter a month ago because it would take many key hits(not hammer to starter) before turning over. Once it turned over it would fire immediately. I've checked for killswitch wiring problems, but nothing obvious.
Thanks for the help in advance.
CP Denis

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could have damaged the connectors to your coil pack near the firewall when you jacked up the engine. Check by taking a look and make sure they are connected properly.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Gale, I'll take a look tonight, I hope I didn't break anything and just disconnected as you suggested.
CP

E-Speed Motorsports Verified Driver

Region: CCR/NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for E-Speed Motorsports     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cpdenis:
#1 I replaced the motor mounts by jacking the front of the engine using the crank pulley as my lift point.

Check the timing wheel for damage and check the timing pick-up coil on the left side of the oil pump for damage or wire damage. Check the pick-up to timing wheel gap. It should just miss the teeth on the timing wheel when it lines up with the pick-up coil. FYI, I would not recommend the front pulley as a jacking point.

Coil pack wires are also a good check.

--------------------
everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

E-Speed Motorsports
Race Engineering

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Noted, and now scared that I may have done some serious damage. Thanks

cpdenis
Good Life Member

[/qb][/QUOTE]Check the timing wheel for damage and check the timing pick-up coil on the left side of the oil pump for damage or wire damage. Check the pick-up to timing wheel gap. It should just miss the teeth on the timing wheel when it lines up with the pick-up coil.

The timing pick up coil had shifted up, so the wheel gap increased to over 2cms. Loosened, repositioned and started right away.
Thanks for the help, lesson learned. [Smile]

E-Speed Motorsports Verified Driver

Region: CCR/NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for E-Speed Motorsports     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

--------------------
everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

E-Speed Motorsports
Race Engineering

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Estus ypo are THE MAN!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: