Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Water temp gauge question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Water temp gauge question
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wanting to order a water temp gauge for my '91. Probably an autometer. Question I have is whether best to get an electric or a mechanical one. Will install in the nearest center console air vent.

And if anyone has best source let me know. Thanks

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mechanical gauges must be installed in the upper radiator hose, due to the large size of their sender. Electrics can go in either the hetare hose or the radiator hose.

I have adapters for both applications

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Dave!

I was planning on doing a similar upgrade to my car this winter.....which location do you think is more accurate to pull the temperature from?

-Vick

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yes another thanks dave, i have a guage in my car but its not hooked up. i will contact you for the adapter.
Josh

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used the electric and hooked it into the hose coming out of the rear of the head before in went into the heater core. Seams to work just fine.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Astro Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Astro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the AEM digital water gauge installed in the small water hose on the back of the head to the heater core (adapter from http://advanced-autosports.com/)

--------------------
David Spencer
1990 Miata - #87 SM

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought the radiator hose adapter from Advanced Autosports which allowed both a guage and warning light. Nice piece, works/looks great. Electric is low maintenance, make sure you match the guage to the sender(s).

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just ordered the hose adapter from Advanced for an electric gauge after a bit more checking.

Hope I got the right one. Anyone with the best place to purchase an Auto-Meter gauge?

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the same setup as Frank. Electric, measures off the heater hose coming from the back of the head. Advanced Autosports adapter with an Autometer gauge.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Astro Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Astro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a nice AEM gauge that shows a numerical readout so a quick glance is all that is needed.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/gauges-26/digital-gauges-27/water-oil-trans-temp-47/

Amazon has for $140.

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4402-100-300F-Transmission-Temperature/dp/B001DX9KJK

--------------------
David Spencer
1990 Miata - #87 SM

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would use a mechanical for reliabity purposes. I have had the electrical sending units fail. I also like being able to monitor the cooling of my motor without turning on the power.

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by W. Bonsell:
Anyone with the best place to purchase an Auto-Meter gauge?

Got mine at Baxter Auto Parts.

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think to do it all over again I'd go mechanical too. I've put in elec gauges twice now and it can be a real pita. Unless you want to run the signal into data acquisition.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Even with data aquisition, this winter I'm sticking in a set of backup gauges. Paying attention to gauges has saved my motor more than once. I've had my digital dash die mid race and had to just cross my fingers that I wouldn't need those warning lights for the next 20 mins. If my dash konks out again, I want to know that the engine isn't going with it.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh...and if you go to the Longacre site, they usually have really good deals on out of box stuff used for trade shows, previous years models, etc. I picked up a set of gauges with warning lights for something like $40.

Not sure how I'm going to do the oil P yet but the DAQ runs off the heater hose and the temp gauge and warning light will go in the radiator hose using one of Dave W's adapters.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: