Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Soda Blasting

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Soda Blasting
Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, it may be time to break down and repaint the old chick-mobile. Maybe even do some body work.

Searched and didn't find anything on this, so....

Anyone know about having the car soda blasted to remove the paint down to the metal/plastic? I've done some quick research and it looks like a no down side way to do the job.

Eastbrook(?) sells a home quality unit for a few hundred bucks but I'm thinking that having a pro do it is preferable.

Any reliable shops in the South Jersey/Phiily area?

Any reasons not to go this way?

Thanks.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a commercial sand/soda/bead blaster, and it works great for parts. I would hate to try and do a whole car, however. I imagine it would cost a fortune to have the whole car done.
You will also find the media in every nook can cranny after it is done. You will be finding it five years from now.
Again, like everything else I post, I could be wrong.
wheel

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had an industrial media blasting company media blast my last build. The results were awesome. The entire car was brought down to bare metal and the cost was around 650.00. They used plastic media on the body panels to avoid warping and more aggressive media in other areas. The bare tub made it really easy to paint. They plugged all the holes before blasting but a little still made it into some of the nooks and crannys but no big deal really.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the eastwood blaster, You need a monster sized compressor or you consistantly have to wait while it builds pressure. Its good for little parts.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

May be time for plan-B.

I've got a call in to a company up in North Jersey with a mobile commercial unit who say they do whole cars all the time. I'm waiting to see what their price is.

Thanks guys for the input.

[ 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Richard Pressman ]

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you may also want to look at having the car dipped to strip it. There is a place locally that dips them and then e-coats everything when they are done. Their process strips all the paint and rust off the entire car. very messy on their end but when you get it back its like a new BIW.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Veteran Member

Dipping would be nice but way too much effort, time and money.

fleming Made Donation to Website

Region: northeast
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fleming     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I looked into having my beloved "monkey" miata stripped, honestly I have hated that paint since day one. There is a company called Chespeake Soda blasters, they said about $320.00 (160.00 an hour) on a miata to blast it. However, if you call them tell Mike its a racecar that you are wanting them to blast. They will not do a regular everyday driver, seems that the soda goes everywhere including the air box, air vents and the insides of the car.
Eastwood Automotive offers a lot of solutions for car repair. I have used the USB liquid lead and its not bad for body panels

--------------------
"where one ends, one shall begin".

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good you are looking into jobbing it out. I use a media blaster and I wouldn't want to do an entire car in a home garage. You will need a big compressor and be willing to clean up the mess from the media and old coating. Anything bigger than an a-arm I send out.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the company I used last time charged $600.00 for a large 60's hot rod with a hard top but would do 2 cars at $500.00 each. Just FYI for $$ reference

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

While you are dipping it, you might as well acid dip it. Then you can add about 150# to the floor boards. Of course, the weight may fall through the now very thin floor boards.
wheel

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had several cars professionally blasted the cost was around $800 to do the entire car inside and out and in my opinion it is worth it.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Veteran Member

Again, thanks for your input!

Still waiting for a couple shops to get back to me.

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Richard there is a guy right here in Oaklyn that used to have a mobile unit. Lakeview Custom Coach. Not sure if he still does, but he did the bottom of my boat, and the job was amazing. I will give him a call tomorrow for you.

Veteran Member

[thumbsup]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: