Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Stripping / Repainting Wheels - TD Pro Race 2

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Stripping / Repainting Wheels - TD Pro Race 2
Camaro67racer

Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Camaro67racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone here refinished or repainted a set of Team Dynamics wheels? I searched and couldn't find a post on it, but I've got a set of Pro Race 2 in white that really need to be refinished. I'm planning to change the color to black, but just looking for advice or tips on stripping and refinishing aluminum alloy from someone who has done it.

I'm sure I could have them blasted, but was looking to strip them at home over the winter.

Thanks,
Jon

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty sure they're powder-coated. I don't think you can chemically 'strip' them. I'm sure someone will inform me that I'm wrong.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best to just scuff the finish that is there and paint over it.

The existing finish has very good adhesion, and your paint will stick to it very well.

Get rid of if and you make a bunch of work for yourself without a garauntee of good results.

Camaro67racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Camaro67racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, so sounds like a Brillo pad scrubbing would do the trick?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same question for Kosei's. Are the old silver ones that The tire rack discontinued a couple of years back powder coated?
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

red scotch-brite, and spray 'em. Mathched a set to my car's color, now it looks even meaner. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Scotch-Brite and shoot. They're gonna look boogered up in nothing flat anyway.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Camaro67racer

Did you guys primer after scuffing them? Also, did you shoot them with a paint gun or rattle can? Wondering if you used a can what brand/type worked best.

Thanks.

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Rob said. Scuff with a green pad and Krylon away. I've never used primer but then I've never scuffed down to bare metal either. Surprisingly, the paint seems to last forever. A shiny (or flat) new finish is just a rattle can away anyway.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a red scotchbrite pad #7447 by 3m along with some purple stuff (reduced down) and needless to say some rubber gloves. there is no need to prime them if they are already painted white you would be just adding more material to them. If you cant get in the corners to sand then at least try and clean them the best you can. Also if you are using a spray can I would paint the back side first let them dry a little while then flip them over to do the outside, Rims can be a pain to paint....

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Bill Cullen Verified Driver

Region: 61
Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Cullen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I turn my hand truck on it's side so the wheel is facing up. Cut two 2x4's the width of the rim and place them on the wheel. Put the rim on the boards and you can rotate it like a roulette wheel. Spray the inside and back first and then the front. My hand truck looks like a rainbow. [Big Grin]

Camaro67racer

Great tips, guys. Thanks!!

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good thread! I needed a new set of wheels, and all Joe had available were in white... needless to say not a good color for brake dust.

I'm thinking of either red or black, but I may try in on my old set of 1's first.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Same question for Kosei's. Are the old silver ones that The tire rack discontinued a couple of years back powder coated?
Rick

Not powder coated Rick. I repainted mine some years ago using Valspar berry red in a rattle can after a light rub down with an acetone rag.
Finished the job with Wheelshield and they still look good.

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hoop, white isn't that bad so far as the brake dust issue is concerned (says the man who has 16 white rims). It cleans up just the same as any other colour, and really doesn't get too ratty from brake dust during a typical weekend. It's also easier to spot damage/problems with.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Wreckerboy:
Hoop, white isn't that bad so far as the brake dust issue is concerned (says the man who has 16 white rims). It cleans up just the same as any other colour , and really doesn't get too ratty from brake dust during a typical weekend. It's also easier to spot damage/problems with.

I'm too lazy to clean my wheels. That's why black is beautiful! [Smile]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: