Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Axle Bearing Interchangeability

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Axle Bearing Interchangeability
John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay. Last year I swapped a 4.3 torsen into my 1.6 & changed the Axle bearings to 99's (B455-33-047C & D) in the retained 1.6 uprights.

In prepping for the 25hr I am changing the Axle bearings again. The shop I'm using to press them in says the bore where the bearing seat is out of round, which will lead to premature failure. So, I want to get a new set of uprights from Mazdaspeed ($$$), they come complete with new axle bearings & seals.

My question is this: Since I cannot use a 99 upright will 99 axles work in a 1.6 Axle bearing (B455-33-047A & B)? The only difference in the part numbers is the A, B, C or D...

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Curious, out of round by how much?

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

joeythepants

Icon 1 posted  Profile for joeythepants     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All Miata axles fit in all Miata uprights 90-05 at least. So the answer would be yes

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
Curious, out of round by how much?

He did not tell me how much out-of-round they were but showed me the bearing after it was pressed out to illustrate the problem.

a. The outer surface of the bearing that meets the upright (bore) was shiny - this is where the bearing was contacting the upright.

b. There were areas on the bearing that have minor oxidation (light rust) - this is the area that is not in contact with the upright.

c. One of my bearings were not fully seated by 25%, the other by 40%

This car (which was born an automatic) had 140k mostly street miles on it, add 6yrs of racing to it. I'm not surprised, just never heard of this being an issue before.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: