Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Which Pyrometer?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Which Pyrometer?
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I need some help choosing a pyrometer.

The simple longacre pyrometers don't actually seem to store the temp if I read the description correctly:

http://www.longacreracing.com/instru...xt/50640PI.pdf

It seems that only the larger more expensive units save actual temps:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=193&catid=7

What do you guys use and how do you use these things? A newbie wants to know.

Thanks!

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you can afford the one that stores the temps it would be extremely helpful and make things easier if you're doing it all yourself. If you have someone to help, any pyro will work, even an infrared one, although the probe type will yield the most accurate results. Sounds like you're starting out on the right path, tire temps are the key to setting up your car properly. Good luck!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a "Joe's" pyrometer. It's a handy shape and the needle tip lets you stick it into the rubber instead of getting just the surface temp.

To get good temps requires someone to write them down for you if it doesn't record. Same with pressure though. I can go around the car and record pressures, then go around a 2nd time and they're all lower. I don't like the IR ones. It seems to take too long to register and the temps can fluctuate quite a bit.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

KeithSE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KeithSE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the economy model I think around $100.00. It has a hold feature that I don't remember how to use. As far as I know it will not hold 12 different temps. I just use the pencil and paper method. I have had good luck with Longacre stuff in general. My [twocents]

--------------------
Keith Andrews

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have both, and the IR one sits in the tool box. It is just too inaccurate to give you the info you need. The probe is a bit more expensive, but a lot more accurate.

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

get the longacre recording unit with stopwatch.
it forces you to get the temps in order, records them and beeps when the reading is stable. as for the stopwatch, it is one less thing to carry for whoever does your laptiming and tire temps.

another trick is to put tape on the back of the pressure gauge and write down the pressures as you take the temps. when back in pits move tape to session sheet.

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

tLinder

Region: SW
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some good info here in case you didn't see it:
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?artid=9
(Basically for accurate tires temps use a probe, for other apps infrared).

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Toby,
Good article, and accurate, as far as my experience goes. I do use the IR when checking rotors and calipers.
wheel

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the probe non memory type and sold it for the unit with the memory because it was a pain in the ass to write everything down(when i am alone).
its so much easier for me to use.
my unit will store 10 sessions of all 12 readings, so comparing is easy also.
look on http://www.racingjunk.com or on ebay for a used one. they come up all the time. i think i paid $150 or $175 for mine.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for confirming what I had thought. I'd probably get the memory one.

I actually saw a bunch of these on Amazon.com yesterday. I have many credit card points earned from my build that I can use on Amazon - so "free" stuff for me if I find anything worthwhile to "buy".

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: