Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Check those lower caliper locating pins too!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Check those lower caliper locating pins too!
Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw the topic on upper caliper bolts last weekend. Coincidentally, I had a lower caliper locating pin fail yesterday. The driver reported that he had long pedal a few times, but then it came back WITHOUT pumping on the subsequent turn. Inspection of the calipers revealed that the threads in the caliper for the lower locating pin were stripped. Presumably that would have cause strange knock back like behavior with the pin allowed to wobble.

The thing I'm really curious about this is that the 65 ft-lbs torque spec for this pin seems really high for the thread size. I religiously torque to this spec. I'm wondering if for racing purposes, where we are pulling this pin out frequently to change pads, whether that spec is perhaps too high. Probably many people torque by hand anyway and don't realize that the spec is actually higher than would be typical for that size bolt.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sounds like its time to drill some holes for safety wire on my car
thanks juan

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safety wire is the answer. You can never go wrong with safety wire. Safety wire has saved my life. Safety wire has save my race cars. Safety wire is way better than lock tight, and I love lock tight. I have never not tightened a bolt that requires safety wire.

wheel

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How would you safety wire the caliper slide pins? Just asking......

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have the bolt in front of me to see the size but here's a chart of recommended torque values...

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html

If the bolt is lubricated and you torque to 65, you could definately overtorque it. Those values are half the dry torque. If you don't return your torque wrench to zero after use, you could wind up with a bad wrench and overtorque it that way too.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've encountered this issue on my 1.8L. That caliper has a 17mm bottom bolt and a 14mm for the top bolt (I believe it's reversed for the 1.6L). The torque spec in the factory workshop manual for both is around 62 ft-lb. This seemed high for the 14mm, and after stripping it, this thought was confirmed.

So now I torque the 14mm bolt to 43 ft-lb (with loctite), and I torque the 17mm bolt to 62 ft-lb per the spec.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob,

Are the threads same size/pitch top and bottom?

-Juan

--------------------

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Veteran Member

Actually, the 1990 shop manual (PDF distributed through sm.com) shows 33-40 ft-lbs for top bolt and 58-65 for the bottom. But the drawings look strange, and the bottom bolt is shown with a head smaller than the shank, like the bottom pin on the rear caliper. So there would appear to be some confusion in the manual about which bolts are used where.

-Juan

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
Rob,

-Juan

No. The size of threads is smaller on the 14mm bolt. Without putting calipers on it, I'm guessing it's an M8 thread which would make the 17mm an M10.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

quote:
Rob,

-Juan

No. The size of threads is smaller on the 14mm bolt. Without putting calipers on it, I'm guessing it's an M8 thread which would make the 17mm an M10.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The thing I'm really curious about this is that the 65 ft-lbs torque spec for this pin seems really high for the thread size.

Not sure the exact origin of those high numbers but a few years ago there was a popular book on street performance tuning Miata's (book title and author withheld). That book cites 62-ft lbs for the lower pin on the rears. (I still have the book.) A few years back I unwittingly used that number and eventually stripped a bracket.

The 1993 Workshop Manual lists 25-29 ft-lbs for the lower pin on the rears (page P-28, paperback version). Nothing for the upper pin. But the illustration does not completely match the merchandise. The drawing shows what appears to be a flange bolt instead of a pin.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting. I just looked at the torque specs for grade 8 bolts, metric vs. SAE and was suprised to find that metric bolt torque specs are MUCH lower than SAE of roughly the same size. M8x1.25 is less than 20 ft lbs dry.

The threads in the bracket are longer than a normal bolt...which could account for higher torque allowables but still seems fishy.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

The torque also depends on the bolt grade (also thread pitch.) I'm guessing that locating pin is 12 grade because it is side loaded vs the typical fastener that doesn't experience significant side loading and can be grade 8.

-Juan

--------------------

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Interesting. I just looked at the torque specs for grade 8 bolts, metric vs. SAE and was suprised to find that metric bolt torque specs are MUCH lower than SAE of roughly the same size. M8x1.25 is less than 20 ft lbs dry.

The threads in the bracket are longer than a normal bolt...which could account for higher torque allowables but still seems fishy.

Keith - looking at 8.8 or 10.9? M10.9 is the metric equivalent to Grade 8. The rear-brake lower slider pins on the are one of the few odd-ducks in the NA Miata's. They're M9x1.25.

Pack Fodder

Freakin metric system!

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

[laughing] Don't get me started on JIS vs. DIN! (Or why the heck do I have to starting packing a 13mm wrench in my toolkit just cause I went to the hardware store?)

Pack Fodder

quote:
The torque also depends on the bolt grade (also thread pitch.) I'm guessing that locating pin is 12 grade because it is side loaded vs the typical fastener that doesn't experience significant side loading and can be grade 8.

-Juan

I don't know that I'd agree with the side loading and bolt grade part. I think the ability to slide and rotate freely on one end takes a lot of stress out of the whole system but not a discussion I'm going to get into in any depth in tonight. I'm pooped and if I'm not getting paid for it or a ride, find your own stress guy. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love it when engineers get pooped! [Smile]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is the above poster correct that this is not a problem on 99's? I'm running Road America next year and want to be prepared.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Gold Member

Who me? in the other thread? I was just being sarcastic/busting balls. Since the 99 guys keep saying our NA cars are old -- becuase 12 year old cars a WAY newer than 17 year old cars [Smile]

Be prepared! have some spares on hand, not a real big deal, but something to check at least once in a while.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: