Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Spot the diff

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Spot the diff
Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am looking at buying this diff tomorrow, http://zachwiens.blogspot.com/

Told its a torsen limited slip.

Question is...is it? I have nothing to compare it too, and the diff spotting guide http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/index.html

leads me to think its a VLSD not a Torsen LSD.

Does anyone have a educated opinion?

Thanks

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I it is a 1.8 for sure and the 1.8 never had the VLSD. the guide only show one pic of the typeII torsen (a shot on the axle hole). me guess is that is what you are looking at.

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy. Take a good look through the holes in the carrier to see if you see the helical gears. That's how Greg ID'd mine as a torson. It looks a lot like that but seeing the actual gears is the real proof.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No carier, no axles, just the diff. But I have a spare carrier.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What I mean by the carrier is actually the steel housing that encloses the gears themselves and is surrounded by the ring gear, not the big aluminum part. It's a fine point of diff terminology if I have that right. I can see the carrier in the pics and the holes to peer through and eyeball the gears. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

My mistake, now you see why I need the help....

--------------------
....drive your own line

Pack Fodder

My understanding is when you look through the axle holes, if you see a big shaft sticking through the middle, it's an open. Some NBs came with a different diff alltogether that has great big springs visible and doesn't look anything like that.

Peering through the holes in the carrier (the big cylindrical part) what you're looking for is those gears shown in photo 2 of the spotters guide that are cylindrical and have the teeth going diaganally like the stripes on a barber pole.

I'm almost positive it's a T2 torson though

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy,
the part you're looking to buy is called the pumpkin.
Don't ask me why.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

More diff pics. I'm fairly confident that this is a Torsen Type II. Am I wrong?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=258332&id=696407437&l=8ed8be8c69

Thanks

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not wrong, Type 2

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Excellent! Thanks one and all for the help. Much appreciated. I think I got a good deal on this, Hoping so....

Next question(s).

To install this I know I need to change out the axles, I'm assuming the hubs too? What year? Anything else I need to find for the swap?

It's going in a 1990.

Thanks again

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a rookie question. Is this unit a 99+ or a 94-97? If the later can you run a 4.1 in a 90 car?

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Pack Fodder

Andy, you'll need the axles, and the drive shaft. The hubs you have on the car will work fine (provided they worked fine before.) I'd change the seals on the aluminum housing, and the spring clips on the axles while you're at it.

Ron, It's a 99+ The earlier ones are really easy to spot. There's a big gaping hole where you can see the internal gears.

The 90-93 Miatas may convert to the 94-05 differential assembly and must retain the 4.3 differential gear ratio from the 99-05 model years.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
This is a rookie question. Is this unit a 99+ or a 94-97? If the later can you run a 4.1 in a 90 car?

I believe in the specs above 94-97 are suppose to run 4.1 but note on right says you can use 4.3 .
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

This is such a dumb question, but for the sake of clarity; I need 99+ axles and drive shaft, but the NA 1.6 rear hubs will work?

Given that it's a 99+ then it has the SM legal 4.3 rear?

Thanks again

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Pack Fodder

You can use any 94+ axles and driveshaft and the 1.6 hubs don't care which axle it is 90+.

The 99+ diff did come with the 4.3 although the automatics I think came with a 3.9. The sure fire way to tell is count the ring gear teeth and divide by the pinion teeth.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pack Fodder

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
quote:

I believe in the specs above 94-97 are suppose to run 4.1 but note on right says you can use 4.3 .
J~

Starting this year, ALL cars must use a 4.3.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drago has the kit in the classifieds if that's easier.

http://classifieds.specmiata.com/detail.php?id=2867

J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
quote:

J~

Starting this year, ALL cars must use a 4.3.
We have a 95 with original 4.1 Torsen. Are you saying Keith we have to go to the 4.3 ratio or is it now just an option if we want to?

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Pack Fodder

No, I think it was around July/Aug that it became optional per Fastrack, but it goes to mandatory at the beginning of the year.

Others correct me if I'm wrong here.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a question, if all cars go to 4.3 gears does this open up the diff to use a T1 Torsen in any car?

J

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Spence Gatrell

Region: Oregon
Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dont forget to get new rear nuts.

The 1.8 outer has the same spline count and size but the shaft uses a larger nut than the 1.6 does.

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This has been discussed before, but why not do it again.

To convert a 1.6 to the larger 1.8 diff and Torsen differential, you will need the pig/pumkin assembly (as pictured in the first post above. 2 axle shaft assemblies. 1.6 and 1.8 have different lengths and inner spline diameter (94-95 axles where a 2 piece design like a 1.6, while 95+ is a one piece assembly. They are intechangeable). The drive shaft for a 1.6 is longer than a 1.8 and uses a differant bolt pattern in the rear, so you need any year 1.8 driveshaft. The alluminum housing must also be used from any year 1.8.

Rear hubs are the same. The subframe mounts are the same.

The easiest way to do a 1.6-1.8 conversion is to buy a kit from one of the usuall used suppliers.

To change a 4.10 to a 4.3 torsen in a 94-97 car, the easiest way is to but a 4.3 torsen pig and just swap out. If you have a 4.1 open, this is the only logical/cost effective method.

If you have a 4.10 torsen, you can look for a 4.3 open and just swap the torsen unit. This does require some special tools and knowledge.

Which version of the 1.8 torsen really makes no difference. Put in what you can find in good condition at a reasonable price.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The diff in the picture is not a 99+ it is a T1 Torsen. Unless it has been swapped it is a 4.1.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: