Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 99 shock hat install?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 99 shock hat install?
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok, I know it was late last night when I was trying to install my suspension on my 91 but I know I am missing something. I have 99 shock hats which I purchased from Mazdaspeed so I know they are correct, but it appears that the hole in the center where the shock shaft goes through is to big. Is there a special nut or spacer that I need? Do I need to have the MadCat bump stops. If I need to order something then please let me know as I need to get any parts here to ASAP so the car can be ready by the end of the year.
Thanks for the help.
I anyone would like to post picture it would be a great help.
(P.S. I did a search for Shock Hats and did not find anything on this topic.)

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do yourself a favor and get the Fat Cat kit before proceeding. Search more for the dreaded teepee failure mode and stop gap washer solution if you are brave...

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When you bought your suspension from Mazdaspeed did they offer you the fatcat bumpstops as Dion suggested? Call Tim at Mazda...he'll straighten you out.

Also go to fatcatmotorsports...they have pictures that should help you out...assuming you buy these.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joshua, following is the FatCat bumpstop installation address. IIRC it's about $215.00 for the FatCat bumpstops. DON'T go forward without the FatCat bumpstops. The thin washer Tee-Ping & the washer being blow through the 99 shock hat is an issue you don't want to have. More than one car crashed REAL BAD after blowing a washer through the shock hat. After viewing the FatCat installation instructions you will note that there is a rubber above & below the 99 shock hat so that the shock is mounted like the OEM shock & the shock shaft with the FatCat bumpstops has rubber between the shock shaft & the bump stop on both the top & the bottom creating free non metal axis play. The stuff you have from Mazda only has rubber on the top side & the shock metal to metal on the bottom side something WILL bend/fail.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_MT_KIT_SM_Instructions_3_12_10.pdf

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ahh good point!
I will get them on order ASAP!
Thanks again for the info.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: