Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » Is a Green Race Car Unlucky?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Is a Green Race Car Unlucky?
Rodney Verified Driver
too little time, too many Miata projects

Region: KC / MidDiv
Car #: ?? 66
Year : 1991
Icon 5 posted  Profile for Rodney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Long time ago, I helped out on dirt track roundy-rounder Camaro.

The "common knowledge" in the pits was that there were many things considered unlucky and to be avoided at any cost:

1. Green race cars
2. Eating peanuts in the pits
3. Number 13

etc.

Since (most) everyone has red, white, or blue race cars, and my wife saw the picture of the start at Topeka and said "Look at all those red cars!" I'm thinking green paint, so she'll be able to see me.

But will you guys avoid helping me because I've got a green car? [yep]

Or, should I put number 13 on it, so the bad lucks will offset each other and I'll have good luck? (Seriously, back in the "old days" the only green car on the dirt oval was number 13!!!)

apexL8 Verified Driver
underfunded and overdriven

Region: MiDiv
Car #: 38
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for apexL8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

they're not unlucky, just ugly. [Razz]

--------------------
Travis Nordwald
#38 Red - powered by VISA
Kansas City Region

Rodney Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rodney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL!

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I plan on going green over the off season... I like it. Mark had a green car this weekend.

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My car has green wheels and green trim. So far I have had my fair share of bad luck(most I make for myself! [Big Grin] ) Green is not ugly either Travis!
long live green!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Different is good - I'm getting some paint this winter for that reason (going yellow / orange, though). I don't know about Green, though. See the video of the last race I was in with Juan P. in this thread:

http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/26/106.html

The green car is all over the place, off track several times, and eventually blows a diff 1/3rd of the way through the race. A couple times I thought he was going to take me out when we were side by side (I'm in the white and red car). I'll let you decide for yourself...

fastoldman Verified Driver

Region: NE Region
Car #: #51
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastoldman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reasons not to have a green car:

1. If you do alot of agricultural racing you might go off the track , get high centered in the weeds, and no one would find you till fall when the grass went dormant.
2. If you ran off the track into a water hazard, you could get wet and wait a long time for assistance, since most would think you were just a very large frog , in a very small pond.
3. People think you are green with envy, so you would have to take Prozac to adjust your mood swings , knowing that everyone else thought you were envious of them, consequently causing you even more loss of confidence, and .....well, you get the drift.
4. If you do British Racing Green, your car could mysteriously develop electrical gremlins, and of course you would find oil spots on all areas of the pavement you parked at.
5.If you were a redneck it would make it very difficult to find your car in the parking lot - your overgrown front yard,of course.

Just a few simple thoughts to ponder, and then...
just don't paint it purple.

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Purple. Hmmm.....

I was thinking about painting mine the color of my old Acura....which was accused by several folks of resembling something sorta purple....

The name said "blue", but....

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

apexL8 Verified Driver
underfunded and overdriven

Region: MiDiv
Car #: 38
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for apexL8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

race cars should be red.

--------------------
Travis Nordwald
#38 Red - powered by VISA
Kansas City Region

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sick to damn death of red Miatas, and mine is red.

I'd repaint it but it's bad luck to make a racecar too pretty.

-Denny

hawke Verified Driver

Region: steel cities
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hawke     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey just ask Greg S. about green cars and luck. He put his "green" car in the wall at RoadAmerica last year. He went red this year

Gee thanks for telling me NOW Denny, after I prettied up my "cute" little ORANGE miata. IF I had known I would have left it (and the first one)ugly old red!!

jstod Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Nebraska
Car #: 64
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jstod     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Travis...I am with you on this one.... Is Lindseys car going to be red too?

Jim

--------------------
Jim Stoddard
Nebraska Region Competition Chair
MVRG Board Member

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jigou:
Purple. Hmmm.....

Mopar Plum Crazy. Ohhhhh yeeeaaahhh...

-

C'mon, somebody's gotta do this on their SM. Bonus points for painting the Miata hood bulge flat black... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Double secret bonus points for glueing black vinyl onto your hardtop. And some chrome, Miatas need some chrome. Don't even start with the pistol grip shifter.

Rodney Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rodney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And a beep-beep horn from a RoadRunner.

fastoldman Verified Driver

Region: NE Region
Car #: #51
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastoldman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is what I love about the Mid-Div, we are serious about our racing. We spend alot of time,helping our fellow racers decide what color to paint their chariots, and we give only helpful suggestions.

Like:

Go ahead , paint it purple, I will love passing the " BarneyMobile."

Great, Green is lots of fun if you want to go around a track looking like a pickle on roller skates!

sevnbears Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 3
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sevnbears     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd consider contacting the JOHN DEER folks for sponsorship.....
3SM

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John Deere is more my speed anyway [Wink]

I tried to dyno my John Deere last winter... the 11 mph top speed wasn't working too well...

You could contact vlasic pickle for sponsorship, or the muppets.

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: