Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » ARRC

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: ARRC
Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hope everyone has a good time this weekend. Keep the pretty side up. Drink plenty of beer for me and good luck!

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

fastoldman Verified Driver

Region: NE Region
Car #: #51
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastoldman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Beer, there was beer there?Dang, if I had known that I would have gone --- actually , I am confused why you aren't there Steverino?!

Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Money and work. I have a lot of one and none of the other.

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The train departs Des Moines about 3:00 this afternoon.

For some reason I don't really feel like working right now.....

We'll all have one for our at-home friends in Midiv!

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jarrod,
Make us proud, draft up there with JD and make that slingshot down the back straight on the last lap going down the hill. I can picture it all in my mind!!! Have fun, be safe

Charlie

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jarrod,
Do you ever feel like working?

WANTED: a real motor for the ARRC
We will do our best for Midiv

--------------------
volante

volante Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And Charlie,
Congrats on the Midiv Championship--we think you got it,we have not heard for sure.

--------------------
volante

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hope to see some of you guys at the ARRC, leaving in the morning

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To all going to ARRC,
We have some highly capable cars and drivers going down south, it would be great to see your names at the top. Good Luck!!!
Charlie

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

77 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: ozark mountain
Car #: sm77
Icon 6 posted  Profile for 77     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck to all going to the ARRC -- and remember HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!
Look for Hugh Sutton driving a blue SM from Springfield -- he's from MidDiv but ran mostly just the Pro Series this year.
Congratulations to Charlie James -- he did great this year and was very fast and consistent!!
Dick and Cheryl Faxon [yep]

--------------------
dick faxon

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dick,
Don't sell your SM when you move to Texas. Leave it up here at MSR (Ft. Worth) and keep racing with us in Texas.
Mac

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good Luck to you guys from MWDIV. You guys have a helluva legacy to follow. No it ain't about JD winning. It is OL' #77, a guy from NH, and me going door to door three wide from just past the bridge to the start/finish. And the guy with the biggest CAJONES was Dick, he was on the outside!
BTW that was the first and last time for my participation in that manuver.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

good luck guys and keep us stuck at home informed...

I've changed gears on Faxon's SM. At first I was telling everyone about it... now I'm doing what I can to make sure he has to take it to texas [Wink]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ya know, it's amazing sometimes....you pull the car 1,000 miles, go on track with 52 other cars, and spend the entire race chasing (or being chased) by guys who live less than 20 miles from you.

That's pretty much the story of ARRC 2004 for me.

Great time was had by all, of course. A couple of us got a couple of minor dings (Volante a slightly wrinkled fender, me a chewed-up wheel), but overall it was really a trouble-free weekend.

We just need to find about 3 seconds each.

The report from ol' car 59:

I left off last year with a best time of 1:50.289 during qualifying, 1:50.383 during the race. This year was trip #2 to Road Atlanta for me; nothing new to the car, but I knew there was plenty left in driver development (aka "learning the freaking track") to find some time.

I picked right up at last year's time in practice on Thursday. I skipped the first two sessions because they were wet, leaving two 25-minute sessions in the afternoon. Of course, I tore the wheel up in the very first session I was out, but it's still straight enough that I raced on it the rest of the weekend.

Qualifying 1 on Friday morning I had quite a bit of open track, and was able to work down to a 1:48.832. That's the same session Bob Stretch put down a 1:44.xxx, along with a whole bunch of folks in the 1:46-47 range. Yikes.

The only solace I took in the results of qualifying was that I was faster than last year, I was faster than the other Iowa boys [Big Grin] , and there were a BUNCH of REALLY REALLY fast guys there.

Qualifying 2 was a completely worthless session for me. I was in the middle of guys who were dicing like it was the last lap of the last race of their lives, and only the winner would be allowed to live. At one point Yergler was stuck in the middle of them, going 4 wide into turn 10 at the end of the backstraight, under hard braking from about 115 mph.

After trying (unsuccessfully) to drive away from them for a few laps (kept catching other cars), I backed out and planned on getting one or two clean laps....but we ended up getting the checker at around minute 12 of the 15-minute qualifying session. Grrrr.

Volante moved up in the field with a 1:49.2, and ended up gridded right beside me for the race on Saturday. Yergler was about three spots behind us....and we were all "a ways" from the front: me 32, Volante 33, Yergler 37, Holden 48. Thus, it became a paddock-spot challenge: $25 in the pot from everyone, hard charger gets the cash.

The start of the race was a mess....no contact, but a mess. I know it's because we were waaaaay too far back in the pack, but there was nothing even close to side-by-side in our portion of the field.

Volante pulled in front of me heading down the hill for the green flag, and stayed there for a couple of laps. I closed in on him, and passed going up the hill after he bobbled coming out of 10b. I tried to set sail after that, but of course it didn't work - Yergler found his way around Volante as well, and was right on my tail.

Still struggling to find my consistent happy place at the track, I made plenty of mistakes and Yergler capitalized. A few laps later, I was able to close back up and take advantage of HIM bobbling, once again leaving me off-line down the hill to the start-finish stand, but passing Ray.

I led the way for a couple more laps, but screwed up again. There goes Yergler, plus another car. Dang.

It was pretty quiet for the rest of the race. I managed to close in on Yergler during the last lap, and a car went off in front of us coming into 10a-b. At the same time, Yergler got plenty loose, but I was unable to take advantage of it because of the afore-mentioned car coming back on the track.

(It may have had something to do with the fact that Jen had just been on the radio telling me that two guys tapped coming down the hill to the checker, and one of them was in the wall HARD just past the start stand. It wasn't worth it, to me anyway, to duplicate that performance for 23rd place. Oh, and that's why official results aren't posted yet - he took out the transponder loop connection on the wall.)

In our little Iowa vs Iowa vs Iowa vs Iowa contest, Holden walked away with the cash, improving his position by 11 places by the end of the race. Yergler picked up 10, I picked up less than that, and Volante.....well...he finished. [Smile]

My fast lap of the race was a 1:48.1, which was an improvement of more than 2 seconds from last year. I think I finished about the same overall, though. (Provisional results are still in the truck at home.)

Take-aways from the weekend? Well, I think all of us learned something about Miatas in the chatting we did with other Miata drivers. I know Volante and I have formulated our plans for our winter projects, in part based on what we talked about with other folks.

As far as other Midiv folks, it sounds like Daniels won following the DQ of on-track winner Bob Stretch; Hugh Sutton dropped out very early in the race (don't know why), and Jim Drago had an "eventful" race, ultimately finishing a few slots ahead of Yergler and me. Kickirillo finished....I think. (Hopefully final results will be posted soon...)

As I mentioned above, it was a great time overall. Chances are we'll be back for 2005, even after being frustrated with some of the "usual" ARRC BS (registration, cutting sessions short, etc).

Hopefully next year we'll have a few more Midiv folks down there with us!

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

JARROD
If "eventful" is a nice way of saying had a brain fart in three? Thanks! Yeah, I had been jumping the curb in three with right front and I guess I hit it with right rear as well that lap and it slung the rear around and I didn't get it corrected until the tire wall helped me out a bit, nothing but an easy tap and some scratches and a lot of lost positions. I was able to continue, Don't remember if I was around you guys or not, I lost bunch of spots and just tried getting back where I was. I had a top 15 car and through it away. Th start was a joke! I came over the hill to locked up tires and a big pile of smoke! I checked up and got bogged down big time! I think I like the competition level at our regionals a little better! hehe!I improved my times as well, thats all we can do I guess. Nice seeing you guys!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

RacerX Verified Driver

Region: Tennessee
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RacerX     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jarrod,

Yep, Kickirillo finished all right. This was my 3rd year at the ARRC - every year I get faster and still move toward the back of the pack. I think we must have been coming through turn 7 when the green flag was thrown! Seriously though - no radio, just had to guess when the green flag came out. I was just glad this year that there wasn't a double yellow by the time we got to the start/finish line.

As usual, a good time was had by all. I've got a little bodywork to do over the winter now, but not as much as some. Jeez, March is a long way off.

Oh yeah, best time for me was a 1:51.6 - which was good for 38th after a long battle for 35-39th place. What a ball!

Roman
SM #32

Hugh S. Sutton

Region: 107 OZMT
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hugh S. Sutton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys

I felt something funny in morning warm up but thought I had flat spotted a tire. A lower rear control arm bolt was comming lose and left on the first lap, it was real ugly and I just look for a way of the ride.

At least my Intake made it to third place on Tom Long's car.

The feild of cars at the ARRC was as good as I've seen at any race, lots of fast Miata's and a few good drivers even.

Best wishes for all next year, yell if you need me.

Hugh Sutton #71

volante Verified Driver

My plan for the winter? -YEA-----Spend MONEY on the car.
Actually,I am glad I put the car on the track like I did this year,it made me learn how to drive a rear drive car faster and better than if I had a more powerful car----and don't you guys give me crap about my lap times,I could qualify fine,but could not stay up with you for a whole race.
With all that being said, you'all best find some speed because I ain't dinken around next year!

--------------------
volante

fastoldman Verified Driver

Region: NE Region
Car #: #51
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastoldman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, great , Volante ain't dinkin around next year, so this probably means alot less meatballs for the rest of us! Come on, we all decided to dink around more next year, and we were counting on you fixing more dinners and bringing more beer ( actually I prefer a sutle red Cabernet ). Come on, dink around with the rest of us.

PS - If you do decide to spend more on your car, please send me an appropriate list to give to my wife when I tell her there will be no Christmas presents, as papa needs a new air intake,ha.

skl

Region: DMVR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not up to your speed guys, but I'm jumping in with both feet and hopefully won't get slower!! Isn't it almost April... [Smile] (from a slower oldman)

--------------------
stu- DMVR
#48 Gulf blue/orange

volante Verified Driver

Hey Slower old man-----welcome to the family.

--------------------
volante

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: