Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » MAM Who's Fast?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: MAM Who's Fast?
Chris James Verified Driver

Region: NEOKLA
Car #: #1
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will post results tomorrow after the regional. Looks like its a good turn out, Should make or brake alot of people for the runoffs in the midiv!

Saferacer Racing
Chris James #1

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results from regional
Sam Henry
Charlie James
Rich Weise
Peter Lehr
Chris James

Sorry, Thats all I know. Congrats on the win Sammy!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

skl

Region: DMVR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good racing- weather held out, didn't sprinkle until the next group went out... tomorrow should be interesting as well!

--------------------
stu- DMVR
#48 Gulf blue/orange

Scott Moore Verified Driver

Region: Midwest
Car #: 57
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Moore   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

congratulations Sam. Looked like some real close racing in the top 3 finishers on Mylaps. Good luck to everyone on Sunday. I know there are some drivers that really need good finishes to secure a runoffs spot so good luck, drive hard, and be safe.

--------------------
www.saferacer.com

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice job Dyno Boy!
Go for two in a row tomorrow.

Oh BTW, How was Friday night for you boys?
Reports coming down the line had some of our esteemed racers having a bad case of "woodhead" for qualfying! [tipsy]

Mac

Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Travis too. Way to stay ahead of that Krautmobile (BMW).

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats in order for Sammy! First National win! You deserved it, as I said a few months ago, it was coming. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

All I know is from texts...
Sam Henry
Rich Weise
Chris James
Charlie James

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good run Sam!

What car did Weise end up driving?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

his own car with new Sunbelt, think Rich is in good shape now..He'll be real tough from here forward.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Sam Henry for his national win today at MAM. That was some kind of race.
wheel

Dyno Boy brings it home! Good guys do finish first. [thumbsup] I heard it was a heck of a race. Travis doubled up just like Sam this weekend, Kansas & MO were well represented.

Mac

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Sam!

Must have been wet for qualifying and dry for the race ... http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=234172

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

EV Worker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for EV Worker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The SM and IT races were the best two both days of the weekend. They were great and had the crowd yelling from the grandstand.

It was hot and humid, not fun sitting in the EV truck in the pit lane with no shade and Nomex on all weekend though. Thank god the air works in the truck with out overheating it. That helped some.

Congrats to Sam and all my DMVR buds.

Thanks again to the MIDIV SM drivers for a great dinner Friday night. I missed out on most of the keg as I went up to watch (and start a few) of the drags. The workers love you guys.

Kris Mandt - EV

--------------------
Kris Mandt - DMVR EV, F&C and Tech

MegaModerator

Well Runoffs battle is heating up headed to Gateway!
Points so far to date:
Drago 60
Charlie James 53
Sam Henry 48
Jim Daniels 27
Rich Weise 22
Mike Asselta 21
Chris James 17
Jarrod Igou 11
Ray Yergler 10
Steve Johnson 10

Outside looking in...

Kraft 9, Zwoelle 9, Samis, Reynolds,Volante and the rest of the gang...

Not sure who is going to St Louis, but looks like they are still 3 spots open, I think Chris James and higher are pretty safe at this point...
Jim

[ 07-30-2007, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Jim Drago ]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Easily two of my favorite races of my career. Great racing Saturday and Sunday with Sam and everyone else. If someone has to be in front of me I'm glad it was Sam. That wet qualifying session was a blast too. Too tired to post more, just got home, but I'm sure everyone will agree that Kinetic/Sunbelt did a great job on the motor. [Wink]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think it is even closer then Drago has calculated:

Drago 60
Charlie James 53
Sam Henry 48
Jim Daniels 27
Rich Weise 22
Mike Asselta 21
Chris James 15

Jarrod Igou 11
Ray Yergler 10
Steve Johnson 10
Mark Zwolle 9
Tom Kraft 9
And a bunch of guys that are fast at St. Louis between 4 and 6 points.

So I'd say there are 10 guys fighting for the last three spots...

I'm Looking forward to it...

Z-Man

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jimmy,

You can leave my name out of the "outside looking in".My plans were to not attend the Run-Offs this year from the very beginning.And with my dumb luck this year its a good thing.
Saturdays race had me running in 6th with 2 laps to go when someone dumped a truckload of dirt in T7-8 and around I went.I slowed down so much I had to downshift into 2nd gear,still didn't matter.
On Sunday I started 9th only to find myself in 3rd after the start.Chris J. took that from me after a couple corners with Sammy on my bumper for a few laps.He was faster and I was holding him up in a few areas so I did not race him that hard when he went around me. Charlie got dinked up at the start so he had to make up some ground and slowly caught up to me with about 5-6 laps to go.When he went around me I thought great I'll try to keep up and follow him around the last 5-6 laps and take home a solid 5th place.
Going into T-1 I clipped the inside rumble strip just like always.There is a small bump in there and when I hit that I popped the number 4 spark plug wire off the coil pack.I pulled off and fixed it...but.

--------------------
volante

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And yes Jim it was the same one that we thought might have been giving us a small problem at the Sprints.And yes I will wire tie them down now,just a tad late do ya think?

--------------------
volante

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the tightest finish I've ever had (0.023 seconds at start/finish, is that a MiDiv SM record?) with Charlie on Saturday, must have been maybe 4-6" difference between us. I thought all hope was lost when we started catching lappers but he bobbled in the dirt on the last lap and I drew up to him on the pit straight, then he went a little wide coming on to the front straight and I stuck my nose in and we had a drag race to the finish. I was laughing out loud the whole way to the checkered flag.

Sam told me he was going hard the whole time Sunday and I was pretty much the same. I moved my braking points back about 10 feet for about 5 laps after the start but that was the only time I relaxed even a little bit and he caught me when I did that. It was a really close hard fought race even if we weren't exchanging positions very much. It seemed like we each had our strong corners and every time Sam was able to get close enough to draft either I put my head down or he slowed up a little and gapped him just enough to keep him out of the tow. When we caught a pair of those 10-foot tall SSC cars, Sam stuck himself to the bumper of one of them from about 5-6 cars back coming on to the front straight, when he popped out he had made up probably 3 carlenghts. Aw crap. Then I boob-led on lap 17 or so in the carousel and he got by, going on to make me look like a rookie picking his way through traffic and driving away from me while I continued to make a few mistakes until I settled down and worked on catching him. I threw down a scary do-or-die lap and caught back up to a few lengths back in more traffic, but got held up bad on the last trip through T8-9 by a lapped SM. I don't think I would have had anything for him in the last 3 corners anyway. My quick lap of the race was set on lap 20! That 1:47.0 can't touch the big JPD on Hoosiers but I wish I had had a chance to try kill mode with a good draft earlier in the race, my rears had had enough of the beating I was giving them when Sam got by me and they needed to be coaxed back to life after that.

Good to see everyone again, hope there's a good turnout at Gateway. Bring sunblock...

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

Dave
I still love you... and I won't even say it! [Razz]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver

Actually, Ray picked up 5 points out of division somewhere so I think he's got 15 total now too, so it should look like this:

Drago 60
Charlie James 53
Sam Henry 48
Jim Daniels 27
Rich Wiese 22
Mike Asselta 21
Chris James 15
Ray Yergler 15

Jarrod Igou 11
Steve Johnson 10
Mark Zwolle 9
Tom Kraft 9

By the way, "i" before "e" except after "c". [shame] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had a blast on sat and a big blast on sun! I finally beat my old man. Got a good start on sun running with Rich was great after seeing him run on sat, until I see Sammy running up on my back bumper, I wanted that 2nd place points but I knew that Sam was faster than me so I gave it all I had until lap 6 or so when he got a run on me down the straight so we went into T1 together then let him have knowing that he was faster I figured he could pull me around a little bit. Got my first National podium. Gladly taking 3rd. Congrats to Rich and Sam, good job guys. Hope to see all at St. Louis!!

Saferacer Racing
Chris James #1

MegaModerator

Chris
Congrats! Very strong drive with lots of pressure on you, needing points the points and all.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

KLehr

Car #: 48 or 49...depending on the day
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KLehr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Heard it was a fun weekend...wish I wouldnt have missed it. Would be interesting if Peter didn't have his bone stock from the factory Miata motor...

Rich Verified Driver

Somebody put up a nice writeup of the National races on the scca.com homepage.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a great weekend... I always enjoy the trips to MAM! It's a great group of people... My weekend had a lot of ups and downs, but luckily, the "ups" all came at the right times...

Arriving for test day was the first "down" a recently contracted head cold had me carrying shop towels around as klennex (sp?). All the on track sessions were great... scrubbing our spec tires etc...

Saturday my head cold was moving into my chest. It didn't bother me on the track, but sure made the rest of the day less pleasant. getting the pole and regional win saturday were some nice "ups". Early to bed and lots of cold meds sat night...

Sunday morning I felt reeeeeal bad (I guess two days of track time and 1 iowa night is not what the Dr. ordered). That was a pretty big "down" until I walked outside for the bigger "down" called rain. No rain tires and poor rain skills put me 10th on the grid... I had high hopes for the national, but just accepted that my 1st SM National win would have to come at a later date. Car was great, but didn't know if I could work my way up through the top 5-6 guys much less those in the top 3... I got some luck on the start when the other lane got jammed up and my lane was able to pass several of the fast guys... I drove 100%, 100% of the time... I remember the race just as Rich and others described it... I forgot about the cold until I was back in Springfield!

Thanks to SafeRacer guys... It makes me feel confident to discuss plans with Charlie/Mike/Chris/Derek and the guys... they're such a big help for me and my program (they even feed me [Wink] ). Thanks to Travis N. for the help on the radios... He always has the right info and I say the dumbest things... Thanks to steve johnson for being unable to get his radios working so travis could be my radio guy [Wink] Thanks to all the Iowa guys for the wonderful friday night party(s) and great companionship... I remember 3 different events friday night alone...

For some reason, this event was more important to me than the runoffs... I told several people that too... I think it had the perfect ending for me... I could finish 63rd at this years show, and I'll still consider 2007 a great year...

See ya in Topeka!

Sam

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratuations to Sam Henry on an awesome weekend, which has been coming his way and is overdue. Even when not in the lead, he kept his head and drove a couple of great races. Awesome Sunbelt power and even better driving talent. You earned it, glad you're still enjoying it.

Rich has always been good at MAM and now with more than competitive Sunbelt power, he showed what he was capable of doing. Great runs both days and your time is coming soon.

My son Chris finally got what he deserved, a great podium run and to put dad in his place!!! I am a proud dad and not just because of his racing. About time you backed up all of that smack talk [Big Grin]

Thanks to everyone as I was coming back up through the field after the start, it was fun.

Derek and Chris are great on the cars, you guys make the races fun and a whole lot easier.

Hopefully we'll have Mikes' new hot rod completed by Topeka, holy cow batman, that thing is gonna be fast.

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome prep, drive and attitude Sam...I'm predicting another "move of the race" for you at the run-offs.

Can I have your data?

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Rich Verified Driver

Chris or anyone else, any chance of getting some video up from this weekend?

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Johnson and Lehr have some cell phone video from friday night. [tipsy]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by kcspec:

Can I have your data?

show me yours (saferacers) and I'll show you mine [Wink]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Its a deal Sam we can somehow figure out how to exchange data. Why dont you come down to the shop and show us what we did wrong! Rich yes I got footage from sat and sun I will have to send it to Asselta and let him post it on specmiata videos if he dont mind. When do you want me to send it Asselta? Thanks for the comment dad, I dont know if it was better to get on the podium or to finally beat you old man. Had a blast

Saferacer Racing
Chris James #1

I'm learning from you guys... I'm still trying to figure out how you do turn 3...

I'd love to figure out how Charlie does HPT... I May have to add that national just for the track time and data sharing...

sam

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Bryon Prokopf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bryon Prokopf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys sure know how to put one one great show after another. Great drive Sam. I was the corner worker you gave your checkered flag to [thumbsup] I am still bragging about that. Hope to see another great race at Gateway (although I will have to watch this one from T&S so not quite as exciting). If you are running the regional race make sure to sign up for the DASH. It is a free race and you have a chance to win $$$$.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
STL Region Race Committee Chairperson
T&S, F&C

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sam was impressive, really so!

Chris kept his head, also impressive.

Fun guys, real fun weekend!

RHarris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Wichita
Car #: 8
Year : 1992 FP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RHarris   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some good pictures can be found here

http://ronleiferman.smugmug.com/MAM%20July%2029%202007

Way to go Sam!

--------------------
Rick Harris
F Production - A place for 1.6 Miata's

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

http://jesseprathermotorsports.com/
http://www.wbrgraphics.com/
http://haremotorsports.blogspot.com/
2008 F Production National Champion

quote:
Originally posted by Bryon Prokopf:
Great drive Sam. I was the corner worker you gave your checkered flag to [thumbsup] I am still bragging about that.

Cool! I had to meet the guy who reminded me of Boris Said! [thumbsup] My Mazda expects dirt and grass so I figured the victory lap would be the perfect time to pull up to your station to say Hi and thanks for the effort all the workers put forth... and I didn't want to do the big nascar burnout down the front straight [Big Grin]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

KelleyHux

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KelleyHux     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks again guys for a great weekend! It's watching a show like the ones you put on that makes all the work worthwhile.

Don't forget about the Enduro on Labor Day weekend. [Smile]

Kelley

EV Worker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for EV Worker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Along with the racing on Labor Day weekend at MAM, there will be a band --- 38 Special--- no I'm not kidding it's gonna happen! Now all we need is to get my buddy Dorsey there to sing along like he did when they played at the DMGP.

KBM - DMVR EV

--------------------
Kris Mandt - DMVR EV, F&C and Tech

skl

Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kelley- there is a regional race as well as the enduro isn't there? And it's all on the weekend with Monday free?

--------------------
stu- DMVR
#48 Gulf blue/orange

KelleyHux

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KelleyHux     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, Drivers School on Saturday. Enduro on Saturday, and Regional on Sunday.

I'm hoping on have on-line Registration up by Sunday. As always, enter early and often! [Smile]

Monday is available for other non-racing activities.

Kelley

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for being sooo nice Kelley!! We really appreciate your hard work so we can race!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: