Spec Miata Community
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Virtual Swap Meet removed (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Virtual Swap Meet removed
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 17 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Virtual Swap meet has been removed. We have received some reports and to be fair we must remove it as a violation of the "no advertising" clause of the user agreement. If we were to continue to allow this thread we would have to allow everyone to post "for sale" threads.

Please feel free to make use of the classifieds section to sell used equipment. Sorry for any inconvenience.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about a "wanted" thread? Sometimes local racers have a part that would help another in a pinch. Just a thought.

--------------------
Brian

David de Regt Verified Driver

Region: NWR
Car #: 47/479
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are there any other boards that allow sale/trade of miata parts? Both miata.net and specmiata.com charge for the privilege of selling things, which has boggled my mind, given that every other car board I've ever been on has allowed free posting of these things.

--------------------
My Spec Miata Build Sheet - Hope people find it useful
 -

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Somebody local with a web site could probably be persuaded to add some simple/free forum-like software for this purpose. I might do it, but it would be better if somebody like Bruce Wilson could add it to an existing SM-related site.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's a real shame, I for one had found this thread to be an incredibly useful tool for racing on a tight budget.

The fact that it was local to the PNW and was a way of reaching out to and offering support to local racers truly reflected what I have found to be the spirit of the racing community, maybe it's a NW thing helping out your fellow man?

Admittedly the very few wondered onto a grey edged area, but I would say that 99% of the posts on the swap meet thread were - "I need help/I can help" communications.

No way was anyone making a "profit" or systematically abusing the spirit of the thread. Somewhat of a Draconian decision Mr. Oyler - unfortunate.

However I think the solution already exists. Check out the NWspecmiata site - it already has an online swap meet.

http://nwspecmiata.com/classifieds.aspx

Hope that helps, and please Mr. Oyler - reconsider, the swap thread here was really the local folks helping each other out - is that not the true nature of amateur racing?

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Professional ballast

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Honestly, I think this is a little short sighted.
I'm an admin on another auto related site where we allow a local thread in addition to our regular classifieds section. The stipulation is that you must be from that specific region and not a vendor to participate in the local thread (also, no ebay links).

It's been successful for us, hasn't harmed the paid classifieds and seen little abuse.

But hey, this is not my sandbox..I'll play by the rules laid out for me. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Honestly, I think that this is really counter-productive.

Our thread caused no problems, and served a great purpose. Rather than shutting us down (which benefits nobody), why not put a rule in place that says each regional sub-forum can have one official "swap meet" thread? Seems like a much better solution than just killing ours, which serves such an excellent purpose.

Neil Made Donation to Website
Ugly Trailer Racing

Car #: 54 where are you?
Year : 89 rx7 GTUs
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[twocents]
Well one thing that might make it easier for our hosts to allow such a local mutual support group, would be if more from that region kicked in a few bucks every year to help support the site?

It shouldn't be used for commercial promotion, but I admit answering a couple requests for help with options from my shop, back then. It is a thin line between trying to be helpful and being promotional. I certainly apologize for any old posts I may have made, out of order. [blush]

Anyway, I think it worth considering if say over 60% of the locals, in that thread, have the little $ next to our pseudonym. This shows support of the folks supporting us. [yep]

--------------------
"I am master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unsaid." Abe Lincoln

Neil Made Donation to Website
Ugly Trailer Racing

Car #: 54 where are you?
Year : 89 rx7 GTUs
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

of course the other option is the local shops, that want to benifit, help pay for the regional thread and they get a "Swap meet brought to you by, Rusty trailer racing." (my tongue in cheek 'team name' next year.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unsaid." Abe Lincoln

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You may post in the Classifieds:Want To Buy category free of charge. There were posts that included items being posted on Craigslist as well so it was not confined to a few DIY'ers swapping parts to get on the track. The fact remains we received a report concerning a post and after consideration I felt the thread was deep enough into the gray area to remove it.

What is so terribly wrong with making a list of everything you have and paying $4.95 to the website to advertise it in the Classifieds?

Typically you can then come back here with a "I posted several things in the classifieds, let me know if you need any of them..." type of post to help out your fellow racers.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Again - unfortunate. The posts related to craigslist were if I recall FYI notes. "Hey guy's it ain't mine but some one posted this on Craigslist." Not, check out my craigslist posting...

Anyone with a big list typically did just as you suggest - and then posted in the swap meet as well.

The spirit of the list was very much an extension of the kind of help you see between racers, in the paddock on race weekends...

The great thing about the swap meet thread was that it was very locally focused, and mostly odds and ends type stuff.

Bruce tells me NWspecmiata.com - can accommodate this type of help thread so - no worries.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, it is your position that as long as it is within the same region, you should be able to sell a hard-top to someone by either advertising you have one or by replying to a post here? How exactly is that fair to everyone else that actually uses the classifieds? The very first reply in the thread was about a Hardtop... you think that was just given to him for a 12pack and some gas money?

The type of threads I've always allowed are the
OMFG! I just twisted all the bolts off on my rearend and it will take until Monday to get one.. anyone got one I can use or buy for this weekend!

Those are what this forum is about.. not helping people sell items, big or small... when all we ask is $4.95 to help offset bandwidth/hardware when money is exchanging hands.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, I'm guessing that my latest post is what caused the "report", due to me posting it last night, and the thread disappearing today.

*gets on soapbox*
The problem I have is that, for example, I have a chin lip which is now worthless to me, and has a limited market. To have to pay 5$ every few weeks and repost it on classifieds each time and hope someone picks it up for 50$ eventually just isn't even worth my time. I will throw it out rather than have to deal with that. I don't have the slightest bit of a problem if I'm selling something worth real money, like an engine or something, to chip 5$ into the specmiata.com bandwidth coffers. But when we're talking about a 10-30% tax on smaller items, that's well past ridiculous. It seems wrong that it costs the same to sell a pro motor as to sell a screwdriver. There's a reason ebay has a tiered payment structure.

*gets off soapbox*

--------------------
 -

You have the admin upper hand - I have no archive with respects to the thread, so no way to verify your hard top assertions.

I do recall a post for someone looking for or in need of a loaner hard top for a newly prepped car and someone stepped up to save that race weekend, or Mark's last post - I ordered the wrong part and painted it already, or several of mine, like the last looking for someone local with an intake manifold - I cracked the original during a rebuild, hardly high commerce.

As previously stated, this was very much local networking, local racers helping local racers.

Admittedly a few did stray, but not many, the vast majority were just local "in needs" and offers of help.

Still it seems that the local specmiata site will see the traffic and your servers can take a huge sigh of relief...

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Which leads us to another question - are we allowed to do something like post a sticky in the NW boards here linking to external NW classifieds?

The stated worry is bandwidth/hardware costs, so if we're taking that all offsite, then, as Andy says, we're relieving the servers of the burden. I can't find a copy of the forum rules anywhere here to check, though, so I have no idea.

--------------------
 -

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David, click on my profile and the review user agreement.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

It was not your post that was reported David. Actually your post would fit into the criteria I outlined above and would not draw any attention from me unless you started having those types of accidents every week.

As for our bandwidth and server burdens, not sure I appreciate the attitude, but any website can promote itself using the banners, classifieds or sponsor this or any other forum.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Ken Tubbs Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Tubbs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys,

I see very few dollar signs next to your names. Not that it would change the policy but it costs money to keep this site up and running.

Hey Mike I gave $50 a week or so ago. Can you change the color of my $?

Subdued Verified Driver
NCW

Region: NWR/OR
Car #: Was #11
Year : Was a '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Subdued     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Robottom:
looking for someone local with an intake manifold - I cracked the original during a rebuild,

Andy - In case you did not see the thread before it was removed, Carlo has that manifold for you.

Admin - I have not been keeping up with the socioeconomics of the website, but last year I was under the impression that purchasing from saferacer directly benefited this website. Now I understand that agreement has lapsed. Bummer, I was figuring on my Hans purchase to help support the site.

--------------------
Ed

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Purchasing from any vendor that advertises here, whether it's with banners or forum sponsorship does benefit the site as they will be more inclined to continue the campaign. Thank you for supporting a company that supports Specmiata.com.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys, this ain't a democracy. SpecMiata.com (the site and the brand) are owned by Mr. Daniels and administered by Mr. Oyler, and the site is run as they see fit. I don't think there's much heavy-handed moderation going on here. Frankly, I'm surprised the swap meet thread lasted as long as it did.

I joined this site five and a half years ago. In that time, I've gotten endless information, entertainment, occasional stress in the off season (PMS) but mostly great contacts through this site. Also in that time, Jim has probably spent several thousand dollars (and Mike several thousand labor hours) keeping the site going, and I've contributed... 20 bucks. Pretty measly, and I'll remedy that soon.

I bet we can find a solution to the problem at hand that benefits everyone. Meanwhile, as Ken said, those of you who haven't contributed, think about this- whether you agree with this thread deletion or not, how much benefit have you ALREADY gotten from this site? Keep that in mind and kick in a few bucks.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried contributing but the $ sign got put by my wife's name.

I guess its obvious who has all the money....

Pat is right, and $5 is not much for most listers to kick in.

Thinking about it as a percentage is a good point.

Mike, would you consider a new thread with a $50 limit, no actual shops or suppliers, and used or accidentally ordered new parts only? [Confused]

Otherwise, no biggie, thanks for everything so far and in the future too I'm sure....

Greg

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Mr. Daniels and I are meeting today and I will bring up this topic. Mr. Newton and I have been discussing some options that may satisfy both sides. Obviously we need to come up with something that we can administrate easy enough and allow in all the SCCA and NASA forums for it to be fair for everyone.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Guys, this ain't a democracy. SpecMiata.com (the site and the brand) are owned by Mr. Daniels and administered by Mr. Oyler, and the site is run as they see fit. I don't think there's much heavy-handed moderation going on here. Frankly, I'm surprised the swap meet thread lasted as long as it did.

I joined this site five and a half years ago. In that time, I've gotten endless information, entertainment, occasional stress in the off season (PMS) but mostly great contacts through this site. Also in that time, Jim has probably spent several thousand dollars (and Mike several thousand labor hours) keeping the site going, and I've contributed... 20 bucks. Pretty measly, and I'll remedy that soon.

I bet we can find a solution to the problem at hand that benefits everyone. Meanwhile, as Ken said, those of you who haven't contributed, think about this- whether you agree with this thread deletion or not, how much benefit have you ALREADY gotten from this site? Keep that in mind and kick in a few bucks.

+1 ... I am also suprised it lasted this long.

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

What we have decided to do is create a new Virtual Swap Forum. It will be private, with the requirements for entry being you must be a Silver or Gold Support Member. The forum would be for non-commercial "for sale by owner" and "want to buy" type posts. This should satisfy all parties concerned.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Professional ballast

Great idea Mike, that serves as a nice benefit for donating members and makes the sale of smaller ticket items more cost effective. Users wanting to reach a broader market will still benefit from the classifieds.

Bravo!

--------------------
Brian

... Never mind. I'm just going to say a little piece and then be done with this, I guess.

I've spent the last ~12 years of my life writing free software, starting and maintaining free sites and communities on the 'net, and similar things. Hence, I can say with a great deal of experience that users are much more happy to donate freely than when they are pressured into it.

I only joined this community a few months ago when I did my first SM race, and soon after decided to build my own car. Since then, on several different posts I've both been personally and seen other people guilt tripped about donating, and I'm not even half done building my car yet, much less actually raced in an SM race. The real problem is that there's a very big difference between providing side benefits as a thanks for donating, like several discounts to an assortment of vendors, to members who support the boards, and providing "membership benefits" for what's supposed to be an open-hearted "donation" gesture as thanks for providing a very useful service. Right now I've barely joined and I already feel like I'm supposed to be obligated to pay an entrance fee to be part of the "club".

The 10% carbotech discount is a good start, but the problem is that under the current atmosphere, I look at the member purchase page and think "for 50$, I get a 10% carbotech discount (maybe 20-25$ benefit), and access to this trading site, which I might use a few times (ostensibly saving 5$ each time)". The problem is that I'm not thinking "thanks for all the great service, I'll chip ya 50$, and ooh how nice I get this other stuff too."

--------------------
 -

Professional ballast

I wonder if this thread is contributing to that feeling? Going in cold, I bet you'd feel different.

--------------------
Brian

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bbenthin:
I wonder if this thread is contributing to that feeling? Going in cold, I bet you'd feel different.

Well, there's really no such thing, for most of us, as "going in cold." I've been an active member of S2ki.com since I bought my S2000 almost four years ago. Every year, I willingly contribute $50 to the site; in exchange, I get significant discounts on anything/everything I buy from site vendors. This is a win-win-win--Vendors sell more; the site gets more members; and I save money overall (a couple of sets of brake pads does it).

I would much rather have positive reasons to contribute, or just do so out of the goodness of my heart (as I already have), than feel like I was backed into it.

But it's their site, obviously, and they can run it as they see fit. I just think that there are ways to generate revenue for the site owner while making those who pay feel good about it, and this process isn't it.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good observation, David. Some sites are purely "community", and others are purely "commerce". You can't fault either one, but this one blurs the lines. I think it's just more commercial than you're expecting, and it takes a while to get used to that mindset.

Given the commercial focus, it's understandable that some may choose not to contribute to the "community" part.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think they are looking to MAKE money necessarily... just have money to go against the bandwidth bill.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Veteran Member

We understand that, Lance, but that's just a matter of "quantity" -- the "quality" (that is, the site attitude) still leans commercial in this area.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

If your plan is to exchange money by using the resources of this website, we feel obligated to some of that transaction. To that end we have done everything we can think of to allow that to work for everyone... but still people are unhappy.

Consider the fact many SM Shop owners and employees read these forums everyday looking for new clients, who are just one PM away. That cuts us out, which means either we come down hard on "WTB" and "Who Sells blah blah" posts or try something like this new program. There are only 46 Green Donor Icons currently in circulation... the cost of bandwidth alone is $450/per month for one of our T1's. Specmiata.com uses the most bandwidth out of that T1. So, just some basic elementary level math would suggest that at that rate 12 x 6 x $450 = $32,400 in bandwidth alone since its inception. That of course does not account for when the T1 was $1500/Month in 1999-2001.

We aren't trying to turn a profit, although that would be nice, but there is no reason for us to be the only ones not holding our hand out. It's not like we are some guys that sprung up after all the ground work was laid out and Spec Miata was approved to race everywhere... we were here in the beginning, mass emailing RE's, funding a SM Race Series and pressing the flesh to get it all going.

And thats all I've got to say about that...

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Veteran Member

Without disagreeing with any of your post, Mike -- especially the part about being there in the beginning, and motivating the creation of the class -- your post is the perfect example of the blurring of commerce and community.

Your mention of "we feel obligated to some of that transaction", and "there is no reason for us to be the only ones not holding our hand out" has more the tone of taxation -- that is, it's one step beyond mere commerce. It's not an offer to trade for value, it's a statement of entitlement to revenue "off the top".

Again, I'm not particularly disagreeing. But when you come at people with the attitude that you're entitled to their money, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they don't voluntarily send you even more. I think the IRS will tell you that they don't get any extra checks sent in, even from those who want higher taxes.

I've avoided talking about my own view, and I don't want to make an issue of it -- I made my decision years ago, and haven't seen a reason to change. I will tell you that if this site were to move to a true community site -- that is, without advertising censorship to channel revenue -- I would gladly contribute generously. The removal of such posts years ago is precisely why there's no dollar sign by my name.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

I don't know Jim, but it sounds like you have Commune and Community mixed up [Smile]

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Veteran Member

[Big Grin] Guess I've been paying too much attention to the primaries...

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
... There are only 46 Green Donor Icons currently in circulation...

Mike

Since I'm one of the few with a green icon how do you get to be a silver or gold? I've long aspired to get one, thanks.

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Geoff, we recently moved from a simple "donate whatever your conscience tells you" to a "Support" program with three tiers. You can now pick from Bronze, Silver or Gold tiers, with each one offering additional perks and incentives. So, this isn't really a donation anymore, but rather a value added support mechanism. You can read more by clicking the SUPPORT US link in the left hand menu.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Veteran Member

I like the "empire" reference! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What will happen to the people who already have their green dollar signs? Upgraded based on past contribution? Changed based on new contribution?

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

It's based on New Contributions. If someone has given a Donation that corresponds to one of the tiers since November 1st of 2007 I will upgrade them. I will need to know the date they made the payment for verification. The Green Dollar signs will all be removed July 2008.

If you have any questions about a specific donation please PM either me or Jim and we can take it into further consideration.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I see it pretty much as Jim B does except that I've donated a couple times anyway, not because of the guilt-trip propaganda but in spite of it. It sounds like I'll be losing my dollar sign soon so I guess that's that. Too bad, as I've said in the past, I can be quite generous when it's warranted. Other sites I know manage very well with out charging for classifieds and without the begging. It can be done but requires a different attitude.

At the risk of serious alienation, I feel compelled to point out that although we all appreciate this site and many recognize what it takes to run it, letís also be honest. If those who started it had not done so, someone else surely would have right behind them, like sites on every other topic imaginable. Sure, the history would be different but once the SM class was started by some of the same people, a site like this was inevitable. By this point it may have been more successful or less, but once it got rolling much of the credit for its success belonged to the people using it, and the main goal of those who run it should be to keep them happy and do no harm. The day they decide it isnít worth the effort anymore there will be a line waiting to take over.

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who begs? Other sites? What attitude?

If you want to read and post less helping, go ahead the content about SM is free. If you want to support us I'm trying to find ways to benefit you over and above the content at the site. That is our attitude.

If you want to sell stuff, advertise or market on the site, it will cost you. Not sure about "other sites" but the ones that are effective charge and this site is effective. I'd do it for free to if it did not work to help you.

In my "begging" I have said many times that any of you have a right to build a site and now business like I have. If this site is useless and ass backwards maybe that is what you need to do. It's the American way!

Had Microsoft not been formed surely someone else would have... Had I only known the lottery numbers before the drawing...

There are many sites out there now that offer SM forums. There is one that Mazda supports since day one. One that did not jump on the band wagon after the class was going but promoted the class since it had 13 cars nationwide. One that is rooted in the love of the class first and what site hits it generates second. Can you guess?

"They" are the folks this class needed when most had no clue it existed.

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Useless, no, bass-akwards, sometimes, but only the latter is a reasonable comparison to Microsoft. [Big Grin]

I think you missed my point, or pushed it aside, but I have no doubt that everyone else understands what I'm saying. Locking in the domain name was key. With that in hand you pretty much own the only prime SM real estate and others will be hard pressed to compete, so it isn't a surprise that this is tops. Had you not bothered or someone else beat you to it, they would be tops and we'd still be here. It's as simple as that. In that scenario you may or may not be as helpful as you are, but I'd hope you would be. The site is the people, not the owner or founder. Come to think of it, so is this country.

I'm not downplaying the contribution, hard work, history, or any of it. I'm just saying what many already think, which is that all the trumpeting about the past doesn't change the current reality.

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Are you insinuating specmiata.com and it's principles are not the nucleus of the Spec Miata class?

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Are you insinuating specmiata.com and it's principles are not the nucleus of the Spec Miata class?

Wow, you should be running for public office. [boggled] [banghead]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how not allowing you to advertise in the forum is a crime against humanity...

... which do you prefer? The green or the Mazda blue in the classifieds?

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Veteran Member

If you're referring to my post, I said no such thing -- I merely railed at the idea (held by probably two humans, one of whom used to drive an SM) that "specmiata.com and its principles" were the "nucleus" of the class. Sorry, but no -- not even close.

As for the colors, I like the blue much better. Save the green for the classifieds and swap meet threads. [Wink]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

If they aren't the nucleus.. how about protons ? [Smile]

Care to elaborate on how you think the class went from Shannon McMasters and the original 13 in SW to a SCCA National class? Can you do it without mentioning specmiata.com and Jim Daniels?

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

8479 posts and counting [Big Grin]

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

yeah, and don't let him fool you... he has Swap Meet access too [laughing]

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: