Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » Conference Race/Grass Valley/October

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Conference Race/Grass Valley/October
Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

According to an announcement at the corner worker's meeting there will be a Conference race at Grass Valley/Oregon Raceway Park October 9-11. If anyone can talk about the race in a more official capacity, please do so I'm not just spreading rumors. I have been told the only hotel in Moro has already been completely reserved that weekend.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How far is the next closest motel?

Instead of bringing a second car maybe I should bring bunk beds....

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where is the closest gas station? Is there adequate FIA curbing installed yet?

I hear great things about that track, but I won't be heading that way until there's a proper infrastructure....

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Currently, the race in October is still listed as "tentative". Read the ICSCC President's Message about this on the first page of this memo:
http://www.icscc.com/2009/memo/icscc_memo_4_2009_web.pdf

Personally, I'm really excited about this track and hope to drive it sometime before October.

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

(Mike your post beat my post)

From what I've been told they are working on the infrastructure. They are going to receive FIA approval and everyone else is going to accept that approval. The Conference race will be the first sanctioned race at the track. These are all the parts where it would be best to hear from someone who really knows so, again, I'm not just spreading rumors.

Next closest motel/gas is Bigg's Junction approx. 28 mi.

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have it on good authority that although it has not yet been announced, Star Projects will be presenting a benefit track day for Team Continental at O.R.P. the last Sunday in August. I have driven in the last two Star events and the Track is like nothing I've ever driven before, busy, fast, fun.

To get an entry form and other information, e-mail Bill Murray at mastermechanic05@comcast.net

Tell Bill: Andy sent you!

--------------------
....drive your own line

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

According to Bill:

The curbing is going in but the biggest thing remaining is getting enough volunteers to help build the tire barriers.This is one of the requirements before S.C.C.A. certification can be granted. It will take many hands to drill, place, and bolt 10,000 tires together. That will need to be done before the Team Continental race scheduled in October.

--------------------
....drive your own line

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Robottom:
According to Bill:

The curbing is going in but the biggest thing remaining is getting enough volunteers to help build the tire barriers.

Is that a figure of speech, or are volunteer parties being planned? If so, who's organizing?

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not meaning to sound mercenary or anything (who ever heard of a mercenary lawyer?), but isn't it an odd business plan for a commercial, for-profit enterprise to be relying on volunteer help for a significant part of the construction?

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats what I was thinking.

If you guys don't feel like driving so far I'm having a fence building party in my back yard next week.

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm willing to donate tires but not my labor.

--------------------
terrell garrett

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
Not meaning to sound mercenary or anything (who ever heard of a mercenary lawyer?), but isn't it an odd business plan for a commercial, for-profit enterprise to be relying on volunteer help for a significant part of the construction?

Oops, forgot all about that. [blush]

Anyways, according to the ICSSC website "There appear to be no
items that should prevent ORP from obtaining certification before Team Continental’s Oct 10/11 race
weekend." But, because the certification has not yet been officially received ICSCC is still listing the race as tentative.

From Team Continetal

Finally there is some activity at ORP.

They have recently secured a DEQ license to receive waste tires and will be looking to TC and other clubs to assist is assembly of tire barriers. No dates have been set yet for these work parties but I assume they will be asking us very soon to help. There also has been a challenge from our friends at Cascade Sports Car Club to see which club can build the most tire barrier quads. The curbing has been poured and I offered to put a work party together to paint the curbing. I will be in contact with ORP to see when this could be done and get back to you all. I would like to know how many of you are available on weekdays. Please respond so I can try to coordinate these events.

Sincerely,

Mark Hanken
markh@controlcontractors.com

--------------------
....drive your own line

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We just attempted to check out ORP on the way home from Bend, and it looks like they are preparing (fixin'?) to pave the road out to the track. The county was dumping loads of what appeared to be large road bed rock. It was a little too chunky for my overloaded-with-family-and-vacation-stuff 325i, so we turned back.

One thing's for sure- the long, steep climb up out of the Gorge to the track will be a challenge for marginal tow vehicles.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Oregon Raceway Park - Open House

When: Saturday, August 29, 2009
When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Who: All motorsports fans!
Where: Oregon Raceway Park, Grass Valley, OR (directions can be found at http://www.oregonraceway.com)

Open House to Include:
• Food and beverage vendors
• Souvenirs
• Track tours by car and foot
• Parades
• Free admission

Come out and join the fun and see the future of racing!!

For vendor information contact Duane Starr at orp.openhouse@yahoo.com

Yet to be announced, will be a track day/driving school on Sunday 8/30. I will post details when they are available.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Randy Thieme

Andy,

Thanks very much for the updates.

ANNOUNCING: S.T.A.R. EVENT # 4

A TRACK DAY AT OREGON RACEWAY PARK -

A FUND RAISER FOR TEAM CONTINENTAL.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 30TH 2009 (THE DAY FOLLOWING THE O.R.P. OPEN HOUSE).

OVERNIGHT CAMPING IS PERMITTED SATURDAY NIGHT.

DRIVER ELIGIBILITY: REGISTRATION IS OPEN TO CURRENT AND PAST SENIOR LEVEL LICENSE HOLDERS AND PAST GRADUATES OF A S.T.A.R. PROJECTS TRAINING EVENT. MINIMUM STUDENT REQUIREMENTS ARE A NOVICE LICENSE OR A “NOVICE ELIGIBLE” CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY A TEAM CONTINENTAL OR CASCADE DRIVER SCHOOL.

DRIVER SCHOOL: FOR THOSE THAT PREFER AN INSTRUCTOR, OR HAVE NOT HELD RACING CREDENTIALS, AT LEAST ONE GROUP WILL BE RESERVED FOR TRAINING DRIVERS. AN EXPERIENCED STAR CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR WILL BE ASSIGNED TO EACH STUDENT.

CREDENTIALS: IF YOU HAVE NOT ATTENDED A PRIOR S.T.A.R. EVENT, PHOTOCOPIED DOCUMENTATION OF MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS LISTED ABOVE MUST BE MAILED WITH YOUR ENTRY FORM AND CHECK. (ACCEPTANCE OF ENTRIES IS SUBJECT TO THE SOLE JUDGMENT OF THE PRESENTER). IF YOUR ENTRY IS DECLINED YOUR CHECK WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REFUNDED. YOU MAY CANCEL WITH FULL REFUND ONE UP TO ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE EVENT.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS: A RACE CAR IS NOT REQUIRED. A DRIVING SUIT AND HELMET IS. ALL CARS WITH REMOVABLE TOPS WILL HAVE FUNCTIONALLY ADEQUATE ROLL OVER PROTECTION (CALL IF YOU NEED CLARIFICATION).

ONLY STAR CERTIFIED INSTRUCTING DRIVERS MAY RIDE AS A PASSENGER.

FEES:

SENIOR LEVEL DRIVERS: $235.00
WITH T.C. CLUB CARD $205.00
STUDENT W/ STAR INSTRUCTOR: $335.00 WITH T.C. CLUB CARD $305.00

SPECTATING FRIENDS AND FAMILY: FREE!(SORRY, NO RIDES)

REGISTRATION: OPENS IMMEDIATELY, SPACE IS LIMITED, PRIORITY IS BY POSTMARK.

FOR ENTRY APPLICATION, SUPPLEMENTAL REGS. AND SCHEDULE PLEASE E-MAIL:

starprojectsevents@gmail.com OR CALL Bill Murray @ 503-3568-2617. (10:00 A.M. to midnight please).

--------------------
....drive your own line

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info, Andy.

I plan on being there. Not sure which car I'll take.

Happy to pass on the notice.

It should be a great weekend. From what I hear the track is getting better and better, curbing, barriers, grasses run-off, elevated flag stations.

I'll be heading up there to, I suspect instructing, as I have run the track(s) a few times, instructed once.

I plan to head out for the open day on Saturday , camp, and do the track day on Sunday.

See you there.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It seems the race is off, but here is some track description and video.

ORP Test Day

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

Randy Thieme

From what they annouced at the open house one of the biggest remaining issues are the tire barriors. They need a minimum of some 3K tires. They're still trying to collect all those tires and get them into place.

Just to clarify on the fuel situation. There is a gas station in Grass Valley but they only sell regular, no premium. I'm told someone is working on having 92 octane available at the track.

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian, I'm surprised they let you onto the property. [Wink] [Wink] [duck]

--------------------

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
One thing's for sure- the long, steep climb up out of the Gorge to the track will be a challenge for marginal tow vehicles.
Worse than Westwood was? The problem there wasn't as much getting up as having brakes left at the bottom going down!! :-)

Enduro addict

Westwood? You're dating yourself John. I was a freshman in college when Westwood closed. [Wink]

--------------------

Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Brian, I'm surprised they let you onto the property. [Wink] [Wink] [duck]

I didn't see Dean Wormer, and besides it seems now that I'm simply on Double Secret Probation - I just don't know what that means... So, the P.Blart's Island Fashion Warehouse Spec Miata is entered for the next Conference race at Portland, and we'll find out then.

Regarding the road into the track and the tow out of The Gorge - the road is newly graveled and oiled (that's how they do it around here) and the tow is waaaaay less trouble than going over even Snoqualmie Pass - different situation than Westwood was.

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Westwood? You're dating yourself John. I was a freshman in college when Westwood closed. [Wink]

Ouch!! :-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: