Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » One Down !!!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: One Down !!!
Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Region: Oregon
Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Ken Sutherland for the first Oregon Spec Miata win of the season and thanks to everybody that showed up.

We had a bunch of new faces to complete what I think was a great “winter race” in Oregon turn-out.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

Fenn Bourland Verified Driver

Car #: u/a
Year : u/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Fenn Bourland     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a serious case of deja vu.
What Oregon region driver has won every 1st race of the year in SM for 5 years in a row?
Nice driving KenBob.

[ 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Fenn Bourland ]

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep, congrats to Ken! Lots of fun this weekend and no major crashes in the race (that I heard of). I've got a copy of the race results. If anyone wants them, email me at geoff_cochran at hotmail dot com.

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Woohoo Ken is back!

And the other big winners this weekend were the novice drivers. Good job guys, and keep the faith, you just entered the most competitive class in the SCCA. Learn how to flog these cars around the track and you'll be fast before you know it. And Mr. Ed Kim, you learned about a half a year of racing in two days. Aint it Amazing what you can do to a Miata at the track with a small toolbox and a lot of friends [Smile]

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on the nice run Ken!!

Also great to see the big turnout for an early first race and nice clean fun racing within our group. Due to a good start I got to at least see the front group for a couple laps before folks started reeling me back in. Kudo's to Cindi Lux and Pat Newton for racing with me hard but clean.

Next race I will have a new sponser on the car so if any of you are wine drinking types please pay a visit to Winestock in Oregon City for a glass of wine or to pick up a bottle for home.

Winestock

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cindi, in an SM? This could be interesting... [Wink]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was! I think Cindi had a good time, and hopefully will be back for a little "fun" racing with us between all the high pressure pro weekends.

John W, right back atcha. I was wishing for a couple more laps so we could dice it up some more. Hopefully we'll get many more chances later in the season. [Smile] [yep]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Jon Ament Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Ament     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I must say that I was beside myself that I was watching and not in a car. You guys looked like you were having a blast. So, what happened to Ed's car? We heard nothing of it down at our end of the pits.

Great job out there!

Jon

--------------------
Jon Ament
IRDC / ICSCC #86
Amentia Speed Racing

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The blowed-up car was Brian Richards, not Ed. Their cars look very similar. I thought Ed finished the race- am I wrong?

--------------------

Subdued Verified Driver
NCW

Region: NWR/OR
Car #: Was #11
Year : Was a '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Subdued     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We did finish the race, but just barely. At about two laps to go there was an obvious loss of power and continued to get worse until it finally quit on the cool down lap. We diagnosed it as a fuel delivery problem and had it fixed for the Group H race. Thanks to the course workers for the tow and my crew for doing all the work the whole thing seemed quite minor. We were able to finish out the weekend under full power having a great time the entire way.

--------------------
Ed

Enduro addict

What was the fuel problem? Glad you got it worked out.

--------------------

Carl Hatfield Verified Driver

Region: NWR, Oregon, ICSCC
Car #: 75
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Carl Hatfield   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

D
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
What was the fuel problem? Glad you got it worked out.

Please don't tell us you were out of gas...

...but if you were, most of us have done that!

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ed's car chief (to remain nameless) put 3.5 gallons in the tank insead of 4. After watching the in-car video, the car chief is very sorry.

Though congrats to Ed for his first win! Gotta love Group H.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Enduro addict

[rolling on floor laughin] That's great. I've been fortunate enough to never actually run out on track, I always was able to limp it in when it started sputtering.

Of course, I never ran out during a race- if I got close I probably would do what Ed did- try to make it to the checker. [yep]

--------------------

Pass right

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im surprised he stayed out too. That and after being towed in, i thought for sure i was....err...the nameless car chief was going to get a big frown. Instead, he got a "Woohoo! I finished!"

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Will Schrader Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: oregon
Car #: 41
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Will Schrader     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used to have a nameless car chief too!
The only fuel delivery problem I ever had was when he tried to put 3 gallons of gas into a 5 gallon jug that already had 3 gallons in it.
Looks like he is still a math wiz.
Will #41
You know I love ya Kyle!

Pass right

Hey, i was still used to the 11 gallon nascar jugs. At least i dont forget my logbook.....

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

SeanH88

Region: OR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

21 Entries, thats awesome! I was out of town for the race......What was done for tech? Pat talked about some pretty cool tech things at the BBQ, and I'm curious as to how many in his bag of tricks he brought out.

Sean

Fenn Bourland Verified Driver

Car #: u/a
Year : u/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Fenn Bourland     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean,

Um no. Nothing.

Would it be that tough to vote on hoods up after every session and top 3 qaulifiers and or racers to go up on jack stands for 15 minutes?
If Pat has alot of paper after a session to deal with, I suspect tech will take a back seat.
If we only set ourselves up for self policing, we are closer to complience then we have ever been.

Just a thought.

fB

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SeanH88:
21 Entries, thats awesome! I was out of town for the race......What was done for tech? Pat talked about some pretty cool tech things at the BBQ, and I'm curious as to how many in his bag of tricks he brought out.

Sean

Didn't even weigh me after the race ..... I could have left out that 70 pounds of lead!! :-)

Enduro addict

No kidding John, I was carrying a lot of fuel because for the first time ever, my car was light after the morning practice. Guess I better quit this dieting and go have a cheeseburger! [Wink]

--------------------

TREES

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TREES   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought the scales were off, and inconsistant.
TR

Pass right

The scales are always off. I dont think the ground is level there, so it could easilly throw the weights around.

Tech? More like a "Good job everyone." Only the top 5 were weighed

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Not a Suspect

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have any of you that seem to be concerned about the lack of tech and weighing of cars had any discussion about it with Pat Derouin?

He is our steward and you should start with him. If you have spoken with him and don’t have satisfaction there are other paths to pursue – including, but not limited to, taking the weight out of your car and installing a turbocharger.

I am mostly interested in uniform compliance. I know who is cheating and have devised a plan. Vigilante justice rules!!!

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

John Wymore

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Towey:
Have any of you that seem to be concerned about the lack of tech and weighing of cars had any discussion about it with Pat Derouin? He is our steward and you should start with him.

Brian,

I agree 100%!! Does Pat follow this forum? If not we should invite him to since it is the collective voice for all of us in one spot.

Not a Suspect

Anybody that wants Pat’s email address should PM me.

I believe that the purpose of tech isn’t to catch people that are light, for example – if your weight was correct then it doesn’t matter whether you were weighed, or not.

Tech, in part, is to insure that there is a high degree of compliance and so that misunderstandings about the GCR can be addressed without having to disqualify somebody (hopefully) and to help insure a levelish playing field. This is still Club Racing (just barely it seems sometimes).

Regular, thoughtful tech also helps prepare those that might be going to the run-offs. Jim Graffy wrote a great article about Run-offs tech in a recent Loud Pedal. If we could get Pat to follow that model (attitude wise) we could have the best Regional tech in the country.

And he should bring us cookies.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

SeanH88

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have on more than one ocassion. Its time to get in the game, or move on.

Myself and others have spent a lot of time, money and effort to make the tech compliance as easy and low impact on tech as possible. This will help increase car counts and revenue to the region.

We have provided Pat most of the rules from the GCR, the way people are abusing the rule, and how to quickly check against the rule. We have offered manpower, money, tools and everything else possible to make this happen, Yet nothing is consistently happening. 15 minutes or less was the objective..... Nothing more time consuming.

How hard is it to have everyone open their hoods in impound? Check for the presence (not the size) of a restrictor plate? Pull a wheel off? These have minimal impacts on tech and show that we care and are trying to maintain a level playing field.

I too am concerned with the "we must catch someone" attitude. Its not about catching someone, its about CONSISTENT, and FAIR compliance.

Nice guy..... Not the right guy.

Fire Away.......

Pass right

Heres what i think:

Top 3 cars from the session are put on jack stands for 10 or so minutes. ECU covers removed, hood open, tire off a corner chosen by pat. Then, another car or two, chosen at random, are put through the same process. As for the rest of the cars, hoods up.

Honestly, another thing i wouldnt mind, would be to have all ECU covers removed in general. Its not that hard to hide a powercard or other ecu tuning devices on these cars.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm beginning to think that Pat doesn't really want the job. I sincerily appreciate all the volunteers that make our racing possible and wonder where they find the energy sometimes. I could understand if he doesn't have the energy. Pat has done great job of getting us this far, but it may be time to talk to someone that will take our tech the next step. He may be glad to be off the hook.

I do like cookies.

Ken

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bringing them or eating them? That is, are you volunteering? [Wink]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In all fairness it was a very truncated weekend with the school taking up the entire Saturday. No impound after qualy had me wondering what was going to transpire after the race, but I left the NOS bottle in the truck anyway -- or was that "in the trunk", I can't remember.

Let's give Pat a chance. He had some very good ideas at the BBQ.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Will Schrader     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am mostly interested in uniform compliance.

BT I think what Brian means is that he wants all
the tech people to wear girlscout uniforms.

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by Will Schrader:
I think what Brian means is that he wants all
the tech people to wear girlscout uniforms.

OK, now that's a visual NOBODY needed. [Eek!] [laughing]

--------------------

Not a Suspect

Bruce,

That's enough pun from you, this is a serious topic. What this Region needs is more umbrella girls, beer and cookies - hoods up and wheels off at impound would also be nice.

We also need more racing videos with fewer plastic heads and more farm animals.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

Not a Suspect

While I stand by my previous statement that they weren't really Girl Scouts (they just had the uniforms), I will also mention that they would have made nice umbrella girls.

I would accept as "uniform compliance" that the umbrella girls wear girl scout uniforms.

You guys do whatever you want to the tech people.

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

On a more serious note,I want compliance checks and lots of them.I contribute to the tech tool fund and want to see it used.I believe we all want to know that the driver that beats us is legal.I also want people to know that I am legal.
We have come too far to not do checks,If Pat does'nt want to or won't do them then we need to get someone who will.
That's my 2 cents
Will
PS my favorite cookies are girlscout chocolate mint

SeanH88

Jeff Niess (SP?).......

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Didn't get a chance to read this the last 2 days, looks like you guys kicked over an ant hill.

I'm not defending anything but I will point out:
it was an ugly compressed schedule, trying to sort cars after qualifying to just keep SM would have been a chore.

Brian and Ken can buy me a beer or two at Thill next weekend and we can chat.

Todd Butler

Chris Klein

Region: North West
Car #: 386
Year : 1994, 1991
Icon 10 posted  Profile for Chris Klein     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh yes... and the pictures

http://thedigitalperspective.exposuremanager.com/g/030407

SeanH88

"I'm not defending anything but I will point out:
it was an ugly compressed schedule, trying to sort cars after qualifying to just keep SM would have been a chore."

What about after the race?

Sean

Jim Graffy Verified Driver

Region: NW / OR
Car #: 01
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Graffy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Race weekend results finally posted to MyLaps.com:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=190132

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: