next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » No rant *sigh*

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: No rant *sigh*
d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, it appears that I must now spend $$$$ on illegal parts to be competitive. (It's OK, no one can tell they're illegal)

Once I would have ranted, now I'm beyond caring. Isn't that how interest dies, not with a bang, it just sort of peters-out.

For the newbs - be aware of what you're getting into.

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think that every form of racing has this issue...The guys who are willing to find and exploit the gray areas will. It's not cheating, I think it is just a willingness to be more competitive than the next guy. If the mods can pass tech then they are legal. Pretty straight forward in my opinion.

In karting we did ALL we could to free up the car, to get it to roll. You could touch the rear axle with a toothpick and it would spin for hours. That takes time and effort. Some are willing to spend the time, some aren't. Hell, JD has not only spent the time, he is now willing to share the info.

For the newbs, THIS IS the cheapest form of road racing (where you actually have a class to race) you will find. You will not regret a decision to run SM. There is always someone to race with...From the $8000 starter kit to the 30K Pro Build. You will have fun no matter what.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny:
I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. Perhaps because the idea of using super neutron powered alternator bearings is one of those things that might cut lap times by .01 seconds and the difference in the driver will be .5+, it doesn't kill me. On the other hand, that sort of attention to detail is probably what it takes to win at the Runoffs. Since I'm not vieing to win there, it's not personal to me. On the flip side, it doesn't feel very good.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think this get lost in translation a little. JD is doing this as a HOME BUILD with a couple of 16 year old kids doing the wrenching (under his supervision). I think what JD is trying to share is that YOU CAN DO THIS. You can do all of these things at home. The build guide will list where and how supplies were sourced. I think you will be surprised to see how far a little elbow grease and ingenuity go.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have no problem with what JD is doing. I wish his guide was out when I was thinking of building instead of buying. I fact, I may just use his guide to build my son a car when he comes back from the Army.

My big problem is that the only track near me has NO sanctioning body. Try running with cars that are "supposed" to be GCR legal.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Edens Verified Driver

Region: ARK
Car #: 26
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dont think that D Mathis is talking about the "build guide". Probably the undetectable ECU's in the classifieds.

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Edens:
I dont think that D Mathis is talking about the "build guide". Probably the undetectable ECU's in the classifieds.

Sorry, but those have been around since these same cars were racing in SSB. Nothing new.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I get it, but how many of us have bought a "blueprinted hub" or a $600 radiator or a $6000 motor...I guess I would rather have the option to spend the money, particularly with the guarantee of increased power than run against a guy who has it and not even know that there is an option. Demented yes, but this comes from years of spending through the nose to get that one hot motor out of 30 that were dyno'd for our cadet karts. I would rather just write the check and know I have what the guy next to me has.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm curious to see what actually constitutes a well prepped 1.8. It seems to me there's much more to tweak on a 1.6 but I really don't know what I'm talking about in terms of "well prepped".

I'm going to try to have a higher level of prep this year than last year where I was trying to get it bolted back together before every race up to the moment I had to put it on the trailer. Over the next couple months I need to change the trans and doing the diff anyhow so while I have things apart I'll be going over anything accessible pretty carefully.

I've found myself wondering about overhauling the axles and is it worth the bother, how much my flywheel really weighs, what a 1.8 owner does on a dyno other than try different parts and adjust timing. Quite honestly I don't even know what I don't know.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If it is undetectable and everyone does it, wouldn't it be better to just allow it in the rules so the few of us left with integrity can participate as well?

Besides, we may find that all of the damage that is occurring in mid-pack is really happening amongst the front runners. [Wink]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

so Mike ...... does that mean you alter your ECU's? don't mean to sound like a jerk but I don't get your response. Do you feel that doing this is illegal? I don't care just curious and want to know if you do can you do a better price than $650? Competition lowers the price for the rest of us idiots just running stock ECU's.

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FIRST OF ALL: I'M 100% FOR THE SEALING OF THE ECUs AND HAVE MADE THAT REQUEST MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS. I WOULD LIKE OT BE THE ONE THAT DOES THEM TO ENSURE EVERYONE CAN HAVE THE SAME. UNTIL THAT HAPPENS, THIS IS A HUGE HOLE THAT I AND OTHERS WILL AND DO EXPLOIT. BASH ME IF YOU WANT BUT BE CAREFUL, NOT SURE YOU ALL WANT ME BACK IN MY HOLE [Smile] BESIDES, FEW IS ANY FIELDS ARE ABSENT CARS WITH MY (OR THE 3 OTHERS) MODS, EVEN IF THEY DON'T KNOW IT.

I love this kind of thinking, " I am not in favor of it but I will take your $ to do it for you."

Sad.

But hey, I no longer have a dog in this fight anymore.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[boggled]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hear what you're saying Muda. I've done a couple sports where people, myself included, looked for every way to exploit the rules to whatever advantage we thought we could get.

I've also written and enforced regulations and I have to give the guys some serious credit for doing what they can. Even when you have a team of lawyers writing rules, someone will figure out a way around what they wrote.

From the way I read it, JD is trying to allow everyone else to do many of the same things that people who are "in the know" are doing. It's not about having 10's of thousands of specialty tools. I see it more as leveling the playing fied from the "pro-built" cars to the garage built cars that many of us take great pride in even if we don't know how to prep them to the n-th degree.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have said this before. Don't write a rule you can't enforce. It's pointless and counterproductive. Why do you think IT and Touring allow ECU tuning.

So either seal them or make them open. This stuff of “you can’t do it but we can’t tell if you have” is not productive to the class.

JD is positioned to make money anyway the coin lands. He could seal them all for a cost. He could cheat them for a cost. He could create tune A,B,C,D and updated F for a cost if they are open. Then we could have the tune of the month.

The only way to fix it is for the car owners to spend money. There is no way around it. The only choice is what fix do you want.

Oh, I just thought of another one. We could have a ECU claiming rule. Or for that matter we could have a claiming rule for every part of the car. I don’t think it would be a good option but never the less an option.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not in the business of selling ECUs but I wont do it for free. "My thinking" is to help the masses with items they have no clue how to do or who to do it with. Nothing I say will cost you anything as the top cars are already doing it and passing it. The ECUs should be sealed with a spec flash (not sealed new in the box). I could care less who does it but so long as it is a prep option, it will be prepared.

You can ask for the rules to be changed until blue in the face while you lose races to guys who pass tech. It is the age old problem.

Hit the search button, there is no question what I do and what a pro car is, tech legal only. That is how this works and I have zero issues building to that level and have stated that since day one pro motor debates.

Only difference now, I want a guide out there to let the masses be "able" to do the same.

To busy to follow all this, if you wonder what my thought is, hit the search button and/or look in the archives, nothing has not already been said by me.....

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3.6.1.7: Engine Control Unit (ECU) The stock/unmodified ECU (Mazda refers to the ECU as a PCM) shall be used. The ECU will generally be flashed with the correct calibration during the annual inspection, and periodically thereafter.

Quoted from the MX-5 Cup Rules

I can do the following....

1990 - 2009 MX5s (Miata) (yes MX5 Cup)
Fuel, Timing curves etc... altered

Quoted from the JD ad

Legal????????

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We got a new sealed ECU from SCCA Pro every weekend in MX-5 Cup.

Runoffs - ECU's were swapped in tech in the top cars during qualifying.

Regionals/Nationals - free for all in club racing (which is a real let-down when piggyback systems are used by others).

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The sad thing is, even with JD's "prep" most of us would not be any faster!!!!!!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:

How were they swapped? Did the top guys swap amongst themselves or did tech have extra ECUS from Mazda? If it was the former, I don't get the point of this. If all the top guys are running reflashed ECUs, swapping ECUs among the top guys is just trading one reflashed ECU for another. If you really want to even things up, swap the ECUs of the top X number of guys with ECUs from backmarkers.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the Mustang Challenge Series the Ford rep would stop by and re-flash ECUs. Sometimes he would do it while you were on pre grid.

I guess thats the type of service you get when you pay the big dollar pro entry fees.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,
If the ECU's have been around since SSB why hasn't the SMAC or Tech done anything about it?

Could it be proved that the ECU has been modified by placing the car on a dyno and swapping ecu's? Better power Curve?

Could you Spec a power curve by dynoing several Factory ECU's? just like shocks.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tony senese:
The sad thing is, even with JD's "prep" most of us would not be any faster!!!!!!

+1

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:

How were they swapped? Did the top guys swap amongst themselves or did tech have extra ECUS from Mazda? If it was the former, I don't get the point of this. If all the top guys are running reflashed ECUs, swapping ECUs among the top guys is just trading one reflashed ECU for another. If you really want to even things up, swap the ECUs of the top X number of guys with ECUs from backmarkers.
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Dahl:
Mike,
If the ECU's have been around since SSB why hasn't the SMAC or Tech done anything about it?

Could it be proved that the ECU has been modified by placing the car on a dyno and swapping ecu's? Better power Curve?

Could you Spec a power curve by dynoing several Factory ECU's? just like shocks.

OK, two at once here. ECU's get swapped at the runoffs. They are sealed pieces and issued to front runners on a "random" basis. No one has EVER received an ECU from the SCCA that performed worse than than the one we swapped for.

The ECU's have been around since the SSB days. I am not sure what you all know about Showroom Stock racing but those car ARE NOT stock. An SS* motor WOULD NOT pass the new SM rules. SS* competition is fierce among the manufacturers, factory supported drivers have always received "special" factory parts from the manufacturer. Look at the Solctice when it came out, you had to race in the SCCA to get the hard top.

The kind of programming to make a stock ECU perform like a stock ECU only better is hard to do. With modern technology however things can be cloned.

If you don't get my drift, you never will.

I remember when I started in SM 2001/2. I built a pure SM one of the few, most were SS converts, if you could buy a crate motor ($1,350) you were a big spender among the SM guys. I was still getting beat by the SS convert guys, they all had Sunbelt's but never let the cat out of the bag. They knew the secret to winning was keeping secrets.

I know all about the GREAT DEBATE, legal vs tech shed legal. Well as the runoffs tech shed guy I am here to tell you all that matters is tech shed legal. Mr. Intent does not get his due in the courts.

All JD has done is let ANOTHER one of the dark secrets out of the bag for all to have. It is not the first time he has done it, I am sure it will not be the last. I am probably not a fan of the presentation but that's not my deal.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com Verified Driver
The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.

Region: DC
Car #: 7
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Regionals/Nationals - free for all in club racing (which is a real let-down when piggyback systems are used by others).

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Mike,

OK, two at once here. ECU's get swapped at the runoffs. They are sealed pieces and issued to front runners on a "random" basis. No one has EVER received an ECU from the SCCA that performed worse than than the one we swapped for.

The ECU's have been around since the SSB days. I am not sure what you all know about Showroom Stock racing but those car ARE NOT stock. An SS* motor WOULD NOT pass the new SM rules. SS* competition is fierce among the manufacturers, factory supported drivers have always received "special" factory parts from the manufacturer. Look at the Solctice when it came out, you had to race in the SCCA to get the hard top.

The kind of programming to make a stock ECU perform like a stock ECU only better is hard to do. With modern technology however things can be cloned.

I remember when I started in SM 2001/2. I built a pure SM one of the few, most were SS converts, if you could buy a crate motor ($1,350) you were a big spender among the SM guys. I was still getting beat by the SS convert guys, they all had Sunbelt's but never let the cat out of the bag. They knew the secret to winning was keeping secrets.

I know all about the GREAT DEBATE, legal vs tech shed legal. Well as the runoffs tech shed guy I am here to tell you all that matters is tech shed legal. Mr. Intent does not get his due in the courts.

All JD has done is let ANOTHER one of the dark secrets out of the bag for all to have. It is not the first time he has done it, I am sure it will not be the last. I am probably not a fan of the presentation but that's not my deal.

FYI

ECU programming technology is now developed to the point that you can program a “sealed/stock” ECU with a “black box” programmer, that will quickly reprogram the ECU and install a code that with four ignition cycles the program returns back to stock setting. You can hand out all the “SEALED” ECUs you want if someone has a programmer at the track it’s hacked in 1 ½ minutes.

--------------------
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com

Rossini Racing Products
Distributor
www.SpecMiataEngines.com

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Mike,

Tyler, yes, a dyno test will show a modified ecu pretty clearly. That's what we have done at the nationals the last couple of years. There are some physical signs that the ecu has been modified (or at least there were not sure if they cleared up that bit of sloppiness).

A modified ECU sticks out like a sort thumb compared to a stock one in both A/F and rev limit (sometimes).

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Phew, that was close!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,
Who has been dq'd for ECU flashing at the NASA nationals the last 2 years???

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Mike,

Has this question been answered? Is the fox guarding the henhouse?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

JIM DANIELS

quote:
Originally posted by Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Mike,

FYI

ECU programming technology is now developed to the point that you can program a “sealed/stock” ECU with a “black box” programmer, that will quickly reprogram the ECU and install a code that with four ignition cycles the program returns back to stock setting. You can hand out all the “SEALED” ECUs you want if someone has a programmer at the track it’s hacked in 1 ½ minutes.

Finally, I was getting scared that I was truly a lone wolf . EXACTLY!!! We (they) are not soldering chips in, its all "flashed" via the port. 28 minutes before the race would be my preferred time to do this (read your GCR).

Ok, I'm on a mission that may not appear apparent but if you read various topics I've posted in it will jump out at you. Underlying, parity of tech shed legal cars less all the clouds of intent legal cars. If we can also lower cost and ensure the home builder can compete, win/win. I see a ton of PM activity out there and have been sent some not so nice and very inaccurate CCs of PMs. Let me again say my intention is simple, parity and class growth PERIOD.

Anyone think it was comfortable for me to say the 99s were over dogs? Most of my friends have them and I'm the guy that got them classed in SM, very uncomfortable. Anyone here think my ECU ad, after 11 years of doing this site, popped up because I need to make money? Anyone think I would be taking it on the chin from those who do and those who had no clue for a few bucks? NO.

I have one mission these days, using the mechanisms at my disposal to get things done one way or another for class parity and growth. I expected resistance from those behind the scenes and those folks against my cause can expect the same! I was here when most started and ill be here when they are gone so I do have a different perspective of the class. If you want to discuss anything or feel confused, call me 9013518494.

Ask your BoD member why my requests to the CRB are not published in Fasttrack anymore? Am I so out of touch with SM that my requests don't merit mentioning? I'm asked to not stir the pot at this site and then ignored or discounted as not knowing what I'm talking about, not racing in SM, blah blah when I use the “proper channels”. To me, not racing in SM is a good thing, maybe I'm in left filed on that.

I'm looking at dyno sheets of a 2001 making 6 more HP while I'm being told that no one can do the 2001 ECU, something aint right “Lucy”. The brick wall I hit is the same one you hit with the only difference being the pot stirring I can do here. BELIEVE ME, I would rather that things just got corrected LESS any of this BS but NO, it cannot be easy. If I have to run an ad and sell the prep to get noticed, so be it. One way or another, rules or my efforts, I feel everyone should know from tech to car owners what can be done so they can pick. Then, I hope the holes will be filled with rules and real tech so the cost is contained. BUT, to pretend and drink the Cool-Aid will not work for me. Nothing wrong with tech legal cars, I near invented the term but these days the difference ain't small, its huge and worse, turning off folks to the class. So, personal prep aside, the build guide and ECU/Shock ad comes to life (not that they were not already out there in magazines and at my site). Peak at my Runoffs posts, this is not a “new” theme from me nor is it directed at any one group.

Back when I bitched about the 1.6s needing help the talk quickly turned to "do we want parity at one track or at all tracks?". Did it not? We got some rule changes (motor spec I asked for 3 years ago) and proposals and “some” data input, case closed. If I never hear “the same guys will be at the front” again it will be to soon. WHY? Because its never in the context of saying to the fast guys (including myself) clean up the black magic via rules. Its always used as an excuse to NOT alter rules because the results would be the same. Would they? I don't believe it for one second to be 100% true. I followed guys at the ARRC in many of the sessions who could not hit the same apex twice to save their life to then watch them pull out 10 cars on a 125HP 1.8. Some so slow in the turns I thought they was blocking. Who knows if the fast guys would always be fast but sounds good for an excuse to discount holes in the rules. If they are going to be fast no matter what, why all the secret prep and black magic hype? And why so many fast guys pissed at me?

If we have no “real” ECU rules and a difficult to enforce fuel rule the only track you will have parity at is the Runoffs. They will swap ECUs on the top guys (really smart ones not hurt by this) and will check fuel. The rest of the year, the 1.6 will race against a superior car, any one with an RP.

On the ECU ad, I dont care what you may think about me. Obviously the ad did not need to go up for ECUs to be done. The ad, guide and other ads are for attention, PERIOD. Some of you long time guys know and some of you new guys will learn, once im on a missing fair or unfair I do what I think is right in the ways available to me. This includes using this site and supporting members for office on every level. Write letters and dont listen to the “it cannot be done”. A smart person can block the way they are flashed so we can seal the units. The shocks can be easily sealed (I know nothing can be done to them lol silly that notion, do your homework).

This was the easy stuff guys, you will really be foaming when I talk about diodes, resistors, regulators and filters..... All of which cancel out the ECU mods and the good old swap around.

I've lost a site sponsor over this and I respect the reason why. But I cannot stress enough that I'm not in the race shop business and my actions recently are far from being about money or shop sales. I am enjoying doing this Guide Car, more than I thought I would, turning wrenches is good for the mind. But im not a shop with any interest in protecting anyone or any service.

We have a drivers only section, any of those quiet types talking about me and spinning all this are invited to debate their prep and class philosophy there, although I doubt any will be jumping at the offer. I can even host a open forum conference room where the discussion is not recorded but 5000 or so can listen in. Say the word!

I will send another request to the CRB. Erik Skirmants already knows my position on sealed everything via Enterprises Inc. Until then, lets build tech legal cars, what else can the home builder do?..............

JIM DANIELS

EDIT: Moved to the build guide topic so I can keep up with all the notes.

Phew, that was close!

Hey Jim,
Are you related to Chad Knaus?
[burst] [thumbsup] [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Jason,

Tony, no one dq'd. Two people with modified ecu's were found on practice days and asked to remove and rechecked. Also one person was almost wrongly accused and avoided dq. It's a complicated issue. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

JIM DANIELS

quote:
Hey Jim,
Are you related to Chad Knaus?
[burst] [thumbsup] [Eek!]

Actually since I don't race in SM every event, I have lost all my knowledge. Maybe this build guide will refresh my memory? [Wink] [Cool]

Phew, that was close!

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
quote:
Jason,

Tony, no one dq'd. .... It's a complicated issue. [Smile]
LOL now you sound like my wife!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: