Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » Corvette crash at LeMans - who's fault?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Corvette crash at LeMans - who's fault?
Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2010/06/14/video-anthony-...tions-it-was-their-fault/

Anthony Davis in the Peugeot pulls to the inside of the class leading GT2 Corvette through the Porsche curves at LeMans. The Corvette spins and crashes, taking them from the lead. No contact was made. Who is at fault?

The Corvette team, the announcers, bloggers, the press, etc. are saying Davis. I'm not so sure? Video blog link above.

Your thoughts.

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oliver Gavin: I've had an email from Anthony. He apologised in full for his actions. I think it's now time to draw a line under the Le Mans 2010 and move on. We can all remember it for the great racing and fantastic competition.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Pug, hands down. Stuffed the car where it didn't belong in a narrow part of the track pushing a car with inferior aero and mechanical grip offline. Not only that if the Corvette had continued the turning in the Pug would have been written off. The only reason there wasn't contact was the Vette realized the knucklehead was there and delayed his turn in to avoid. Not only that but watch his interview after he got out of the car, his mindset and attitude were of only catching the Audi not caring who he wrecked.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the Corvette wanted the inside line, he should have taken it. Given that he allowed the MUCH QUICKER car inside, he should have adjusted his speed for the part of the track he was then on.

Any enduro is dangerous racing, with a track full of cars of very different types. Use your mirrors. And brains. Especially when you have a seemingly-comfortable lead in your race. Personally, I don't like racing with a full track of very different cars; it's more dangerous than fun, and this is just another (high-cost) example.

By the same token, I would have had precious little sympathy for the Peugeot had they touched; that's a risky move. But he executed it cleanly; there was no contact. The Corvette driver failed to adjust.

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just because there was no contact does not mean the Peugeot was not at fault. There are certain places at virtually every track in the world where a pass can't be made. With those 2 cars on that track this is one such spot. However, for those that watch and follow NASCAR's attempt at road racing this is not the case. They just take you out and throw a full course caution for everybody to catch up.

I also think that Marks comments are a bit absurd in that the 'vette driver failed to adjust--these aren't Spec Miata's going 80 mph there. The speeds are much higher than what most of us will ever see and as such the amount of time to "adjust" is not measured in seconds but tenth or even hundredths of seconds. In going back and viewing my DVR footage of the race and looking at past years coverage thru there most of the prototypes just follow the faster GT1 cars thru the Porsche Curves rather than push the issue. For those that don't the results are similar. I remember Lyn St James driving a 962 thru there many years ago and she could not go fast.The slower GT cars were overtaking her. Its a terribly fast and tricky portion of the track. Typically the faster car will give up the couple seconds for the sake of the ENDURANCE race.

Listening to Anthony Davidson's comments he sounds like a typical ex F1 driver and his arrogance comes thru as expected. His serves him right comments are to me an admission of guilt.

db

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SkeerRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anthony raced for Super Aguri...so he never passed
He only knows how to get passed [Big Grin]

--------------------
In 10 years, you will see me racing @ Le Mans
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SkeerRacing:
Anthony raced for Super Aguri...so he never passed
He only knows how to get passed [Big Grin]

Good One !!!

db

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Mark. The Corvette left room on the inside and didn't adjust his speed for the outside line. It's not as if the Pug dove under him at the last second.

I wanted to blame the Pug because I'm sick of them already, but I don't believe he forced the issue here. Corvette driver blew it.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I too think the Corvette car should have given up the corner once he realized the dive bomb was coming. Think they are 120 mph in that section, so that sounds easy and looks easy in slow motion, but in reality?

I think the reason Davis is catching so much heat is because of his attitude during the interviews. He was kind of a dick and that made him really easy to dislike.

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was puzzled by the commentary blaming the Pug. It looked to me like the two were overlapped, with the pug ahead, for a long time -- plenty long for the Vette to back out and rejoin the racing line behind the Pug. Sure Mr Vette might not like that line, but it's much preferable to crashing out.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There are two ways to look at it. One includes what occurred on the race course. The other involves being French.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Motor City Hamilton

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
There are two ways to look at it. One includes what occurred on the race course. The other involves being French.

[rolling on floor laughin]

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
I too think the Corvette car should have given up the corner once he realized the dive bomb was coming.

[Confused]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SkeerRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:

[rolling on floor laughin] Thats GREAT!!!!

--------------------
In 10 years, you will see me racing @ Le Mans
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been in this type of situation and it gets scary. I ran in FV years ago and they put us with the FF's to FA's the closing rate is downright unbelievable. Not anything like a top SM catching the slowest SM or even ITC car. You look in your mirrors and you see nothing and 3 seconds later your in the turn and whamm 3 FA's in a row inside you take the apex and gone. Your first instinct is to jerk the wheel away you fight that you then may get a WIGGLE. You can not breath off the throttle or you'll spin and your about 6 ft off line picking up trash on your tires. Your car is jumping around and theirs are glued to the track with downforce, they can drive from anywhere on the track and they think you can too. You can't drive looking in your mirrors all the time and 4 seconds can mean 1/4 mile closing rate. I did not see the Pug flashing lights too warn the vette plus he was in catchup mode and not willing to time the pass. The Pug driver was annoyed that the GT cars use so much track and the arrogance showed thats what I experienced, just get out of my way. The vette just got out like in nascar. The real fast cars and the slower cars do not like racing together and its a pay back for being there. It was both their faults but the attitude of Anthony, that makes you want to blame him totally. Sorry for the long post, too much time on my hands.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This may be nothing more than what goes around comes around. Remember the vette roughing up the Porsche at Laguna a couple of years ago coming onto the front straight. And then the Porsche crashed the vette to return the favor.

And the vette was crashed out at Petit when one of the LMP cars pulled a boneheaded move coming down the esses. (Scary crash driver's left). I think that was in '08.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That turn 4 wreck was Herta not caring enough to learn what line a GT car takes through 4 versus what line a P car takes through 4. He though Mags was opening the door for him when reality Mags was on the proper line. What worries me with Davidson's attitude is we can see a repeat of an incident like that at Petit this year. Currently with the GTC and LMPC classes in the ALMS they are averaging mid 30's for entrants. With Petit being part of the ACO international competition you will add Pugs(2 or 3), Audi(2 or 3) in LMP and who knows who else in GT to the mix. A 45-50 entrant Petit is very possible assuming all the regulars in the series stick around.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: