Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » BRANDS HATCH CRASH VIDEO

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BRANDS HATCH CRASH VIDEO
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsca3UqysrI&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Scary stuff!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Scary stuff!

I think he had you beat in height and rotation. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hear that? That's the sound of Joey Hand saying "Pfft . . . I'll show you a wreck."

Probably scarier for the course workers.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For those that dont remember

Joey Hand - Pfft . . . I'll show you a wreck

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, instant karma can be a real bitch...

Reason #1 to give racing room. Glad he was ok.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Burkhardt:
Hear that? That's the sound of Joey Hand saying "Pfft . . . I'll show you a wreck."

Probably scarier for the course workers.

My thought also very similar to Joey's
Another possible quote from Joey.
"Why did that guy get to keep his firesuit on?"

Dennis

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Were all workers present and accounted for? I wonder if they felt like it feels in a dream: legs feel like they're made out of jell-o when you're trying to run from danger.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope the driver of the #75 was sat for a very long time. His stupidity resulted in 3 bystanders without a roll cage running for their lives.

Yeah.. Joey flipped more times but that had NOTHING on this wreck. What is missed is the fact Joey was contained on the track surface and was not going to harm others. This is a marshalls worst fear... knuckleheads playing grabass thinkin who cares about contact we'll be fine only to be launched into a post of volunteers.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 75 car? Really? How about the guy (white car) passing in the grass, who drilled him in the right rear and then didn't lift, and hit him again, turning him sideways?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tough call. The white car would argue that #75 left him no racing room and the #75 would either say he was divebombed by the white car, or that it was just a bonehead move. Either way, pretty scarry for the safety workers.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looked like the 75 left no room, white car went to the grass to avoid contact, IMO.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Butch Kummer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
The 75 car? Really? How about the guy (white car) passing in the grass, who drilled him in the right rear and then didn't lift, and hit him again, turning him sideways?

Obviously we don't see what happened before this corner, but from my viewpoint the white car was alongside (LF tire past the passenger door) the 75 while both of them were still on the racing surface. The 75 then turned into the right-hander and not only went to normal apex but went into the dirt himself in an (ill-advised IMO) attempt to block the pass. It's very possible the white car made a dive-bomb move to get to that position in the first place, but we don't get to see that on this video.

After watching it again, it appears the "preferred line" through that right-hander is to have to two left side tires on the rumble strips, sorta like Turn 3 at Road Atlanta for those with enough ground clearance. I don't think the 75 car knew the white car was there.

Bottom line - there's a reason the FIA requires catch-fencing in any area where spectators or workers might be standing. Yes it can mess up sightlines, but that's better than having to wear brown pants at every event.

There's also a reason corner workers need to be on their feet and alert whenever cars are on course.

BK

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looked like everyone went through the corner with two in the grass, except the white car. The 75 was right on the tail of the 1 car. The white car was in the grass before the corner. The 75 car might have saved it on the back end of this, but it looked like the white car didn't lift, even after the first hit. Of course, in those cars, you lift, you go backwards. Where have I heard that before?

wheel

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My favorite comment posted on Youtube. Didn't hear the car coming. Wow.

"I was spectating at sterlings, you can see my left arm holding a compact camera and when everyone runs/dives you can see my yellow ground mat. I was filming the cars through stirlings bend and didnt hear the car hit the armco, all I heard was a shout and saw the marshals react, I looked left to see a car flying at me. I was terrorfied.

The Marshals at the post did a FANTASTIC job, the car had barely stopped moving and they were already on the car and getting the spectators to a safe distance."

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you pause the video at the 2 second mark you'll see the white car was 95% alongside the 75 prior to turn in.

I really hope it was a mistake by the 75 and not a deliberate block.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: