Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » America's best road courses

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: America's best road courses
d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Car and Driver selects best road courses in the U.S.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/america_s_best_road_courses-feature

I'm not sure why Nelson Ledges didn't make the list.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with the list...
Add Sebring

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeez, that's ground-breaking journalism. How about looking at some tracks that everyone doesn't already agree are the best.

Although, to leave out Mid O is a crime.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny, Nelson would be on that other list. "Tracks you might want to skip"

I agree how could you leave out Mid-O

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's not confuse a product placement opportunity (DE companies) with a serious review of racetracks.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mid-O is a great track, but let's face it, the Trueman family has not made any improvements to the track since Jim Trueman passed away in 1986. It could be so much more than it is.

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Car and Driver has been a joke since they fired all of the old writers.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Mid-O is a great track, but let's face it, the Trueman family has not made any improvements to the track since Jim Trueman passed away in 1986. It could be so much more than it is.

Probably get flamed for this.. But Mid Ohio wouldnt make my list either. Not enough passing opportunities and not as much fun compared to the tracks on that list. I would not Chose Mid Ohio over any track on that list? To each his own.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Laguna shouldn't be on there, either, IMHO. 5 most iconic road courses, yes, but not "best". Probably the most over-rated track in the country. Well, except for turn 9, which really is bad-ass!

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Denny, you do realize all the concrete patches are gone right? [Big Grin]

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm shocked, CMP didn't make the short list!

OOPs thought the title was South Carolinas best road courses [yep]

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting that they left off Sebring.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Interesting that they left off Sebring.

Seriously, the article was just a shill for the trackday advertisers.

--------------------

You're right Tim. I should have been more clear. The track surface at Mid-Ohio is great since they repaved it a few years ago. It's the facilities that could use some TLC.

Kent, name a publication that isn't a shill for advertisers. Hell, even the TV news has product placement. [Wink]

Future Never Has Been

quote:
You're right Tim. I should have been more clear. The track surface at Mid-Ohio is great since they repaved it a few years ago. It's the facilities that could use some TLC.

Kent, name a publication that isn't a shill for advertisers. Hell, even the TV news has product placement. [Wink]

I have no qualms about being a shill! Give $500, I'll put your company's name on the side of my SM and do stupid [censored] so I'm on YouTube all the time!

I only point this out because this article wasn't a serious attempt to rate the best tracks in the US, just those for which the advertisers were willing to pay to have profiled.

--------------------

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

regardless of the motives behind the list creator, actually does represent the best US road courses except;
delete Infineon, add Sebring,
delete Laguna, add Daytona,
no list is complete without those two "drivers" tracks, delete the bus stop @ Daytona while you're at it too, go back to the good ole days of flat in top gear going into Nascar 3, all the way around.
Raced it once that way, before the chicane was installed back in '79-'80 ??, same for Rd Atl with the original turn 10 - bridge turn ...
back when men were men, the tires were skinny - the racers were fat, sex was safe - racing was dangerous ....
[flamed]

quote:
flat in top gear going into Nascar 3, all the way around.
I like the way you think!

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like iRacing is the sponsor who paid to have this article written? Do the "best road courses" directly cross with those in the iRacing game or did they let Car and Driver write their own credentials list and the story?

Good marketing if they approached C&D wanting to be part of a story. Not as good if they influenced the tracks in the results list.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: