Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » Oil dry INSIDE the car? (sad story)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Oil dry INSIDE the car? (sad story)
Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So hypothetically, if say a bit less than a gallon of 10W30 got loose inside a street car due to a cracked jug (which may or may not have had help cracking from the kids in the back seat), and hypothetically one cut out the carpet but found that the rubber sound deadening material wouldn't wipe dry, and bits of oil were seeping back in to the well from the little gaps here and there, what might, hypothetically, be the best way to get it "clean" and not smelling like a BP oil well?

[help] [flamed]

Michael53

Region: NEOKLA
Car #: 53
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael53     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hypothetically of course...... I'd use one of the disposable paper oil catch mats they sell at the auto parts stores. I'd put it upside down under the carpet for a couple weeks. Their ability to wick and hold oil is amazing! I've used them under leaky delivery trucks; the good ones can suck up almost 2 quarts of oil! ..change it out for a fresh one and give it two more weeks. ....just hypothetically.....

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank god it wasn't gear oil. Got alittle on the garage floor and it stunk all spring!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Napa sells 3m General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, which we use for pretty much everything like this. It's strong enough to cut even gear oil and evaporates without any residual or toxic smell.

Last year when replacing an engine we failed to tighten an oil line and we didn't notice it until after starting the engine, a significant amount of oil had drained down into the frame through a large hole that is normally sealed by the washer bottle. We drained a whole can of the 3m stuff down there and it did a great job of cutting the oil so that it could drain out the seems under the car.

Not sure it will work, but I would try using the 3m product along with the oil catch mat.

Hope that helps, good luck!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The local track tells me oil dry does not work on synthetic oils. They use Tide to clean up synthetic spills.

--------------------
Jerry

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: