Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » Abu Dhabi (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi
Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwayne Hoover:
Put 'em all in SRFs and see what happens.

Then put everyone in each car and see what happens.

Now we know who the best driver is, and who made the best car.

I LIKE...

Best pit crew and best strategist? Who cares?

I care, that and the technology are the best part of F1 for me.
Ditto, is a team sport for me from designers to the peeps who make sure the cars get shipped. Amazing! [/QUOTE]

Oh sure, sure ... you guys SAY that, yet 85% of your (and the group's) commentary prior to this point has been about DRIVERS and CARS.

They are your words, your opinion, and thus your right to own them ... but it reminds me of my Mom telling me that crust was "the best part" of the pizza. [burst]

In other words, you are both (mostly) full of crap. If you weren't, pit crews and strategists would get as much airtime (and $$$) as drivers and "constructors". [Smash]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

100% of my comments was in that 15%.

Nice of you to speak for me though......, nicer if you read the posts [Razz]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

sirois737 Verified Driver

Region: OVR
Car #: 37
SMIM: n/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sirois737   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you get a chance to see some film of the F1 cars during the 3.0 liter years prior to wings (I think 66-68) it was all car control and throttle steer. Even though the available power was between 300-400HP(depending on who you believed)they still didn't weigh much and could easily generate wheelspin. The cars were cigar shaped and probably generated more lift rather than down force. Brabham cars won the first two championships of that formula using SOHC heads on a modified aluminum BOP block (GM 215 cu in V8)They won because they were reputed to have better drivability than the other marques did. They cars were more fun to watch as they were being driven but not as many cars were near the pointy end of the grid.

If FIA took away the front and rear wings it would still be an interesting engineering challange.

--------------------
Den

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Aero is F1 though (when the rules hold back so much R&D like active). Less wings we add fenders and call is NASCAR (engineering challenges yes, still aero).

To me, after the cars Mansell won with for Williams, theses current cars are already down played from what could be.

Open it up to size and weight, won't be much follow the leader.

FW15C a real F1 (given the rules.... [rolling on floor laughin] )

Anything worth doing for speed is banned and left to reading material........

-

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
but in if your 1.5 off and faster down the straight, most likely you will stay there.

you talking about F1 or SM [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

BOTH [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
100% of my comments was in that 15%.

Nice of you to speak for me though......, nicer if you read the posts [Razz]

Check again ... my alleged "misquote" was simply a quoting of your own quoting of the previous poster (a MegaModerator no less, tsk, tsk!) in the first place.

Poison fruit from a poison tree I didn't plant, I'm afraid! [Wink]

--------------------

Site Founder

What are you on? Read my posts lol [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Veteran Member

OK, I tried ...

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree the tires need to wear faster if there aren't fuel stops. Two stop minimum would keep things a little more interesting and allow teams who can engineer and drive a car with good tire wear to choose their moments.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Aero is F1 though

F1 was fun way before aero.  -

Sure, the cat is out of the bag. But it makes the racing suck. So much tech, so many smart people. And they can't figure out how to make it fun.

-Kyle

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fun was watching the NASA sm national race. Intriguing and challenging the rules of physics is watching f1 in it's current state. Both are enjoyable, just in different ways.

I agree it would be more interesting with more overtaking by the leaders. That being said watching vettel and webber take eachother out of one race was very exciting.

I was dumbfounded when the announcers said that the cars have around 200 sensors on them and generate about 27 terabytes of information every race. Wow.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
F1 was fun way before aero.
Nothing says 'FUN' more than an aluminum gas tank under, or on either side of, your ass. [Big Grin]

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by disquek:
quote:
Aero is F1 though

F1 was fun way before aero.  -

Sure, the cat is out of the bag. But it makes the racing suck. So much tech, so many smart people. And they can't figure out how to make it fun.

-Kyle

You have to go back farther than that to talk about non aero. Unless you are the kind that only counts wings?

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bet it's pretty fun to race in F1, I'm just taking a wild shot in the dark here, but I bet I'd have fun.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: