Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Tech Shed News?? (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Tech Shed News??
pdmracing Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: atlanta
Car #: 58
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pdmracing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any words, Last I talked , pepe was taking the cams out again,(they had pulled in Q2)

Any other words?

BTW Mark Pombo won Road Atlanta VW race this AM @ Road Atlanta

--------------------
http://www.loansquick.com

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Mark...

Heads, cams, gears. Does not seem like a big list this year.

J.D.

Winner on appeal for wrapped exhaust I think.

Top three heads in question, no paper.

Adroitracer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 80
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adroitracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Someone was protested because their exhaust was wrapped?

--------------------
Sponsors: Masy Systems, Inc (Validation/calibration/biostorage). http://www.masy.com
nanoCLEAN (Cleanroom cleaning services). http://www.nanoclean.us

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No protest. They are in impound, if tech finds something they believe is a violation they send it to the chief steward to decide what to do.

J.D.

quote:
Originally posted by Adroitracer:
Someone was protested because their exhaust was wrapped?

Protests can only be filed before the race, actions now are from post race inspections.

The heads have all passed.

The winner was DQed for the heat wrapped exhaust.

The heat wrap is under appeal so official results still pending.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wonder what they are appealing. I think that rule is pretty clear. Am I missing something?

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

J.D.

Depends on what the word "is" means Casey, you know that....

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by J.D.:
Depends on what the word "is" means Casey, you know that....

[rolling on floor laughin]

I forgot that legal staff was part of a well organized runoffs team. [Wink]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where did the exhaust wrap start? Header and downpipe are definitely illegal. I can not see someone making that mistake but wrapping beyond the downpipe to protect the drivers compartment, trans, diff etc.. is a gray area.

Dennis

Tomslick

Region: San Diego
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tomslick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

this is "spec" racing, if the rules don't say it, it's not legal

J.D.

Congrats to DDG and Steve, the race was won on track! All cars passed......

Congrats to Drago, Doc & Todd for giving us a great show to watch today.

ARRC anyone? (Zalners?)

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So a wrapped exhaust is okay?...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

drove 2 hours to see the race, paid 25 from a discounter to get in. watched from T1 the entire time. drove 2 hours home. really didnt care to see any other race. (watched the start of the srf at T5)

I feel my time was well spent! it was an awesome race, well run by the entire field! from pole to 38! 38 was THERE, he is better than me!

I could go on down the list and congratulate every contestant! But I wont, it was a good/clean race from what I saw, and everyone around me watching was excited!

Was this like the first national SM at RA to go the distance? lol certainly in recent history!

in the past few SM RA races I felt short changed, I "almost" didnt even want to take the time to go see today

Im glad I did! WELL DONE guys

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How is a wrapped exhaust legal ? Where did the wrap start and end ?

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wait, so we can all wrap our headers now?

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
How is a wrapped exhaust legal ? Where did the wrap start and end ?

My understanding from someone that was in tech is that the wrap was on the exhaust pipe, not the header or down tube. I guess an argument can be made (and was made in this case) that the rule regarding what we can do with the exhaust pipe would allow for the wrap.

It is pretty grey in my opinion. But I guess the stewards deemed it ok on appeal.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

JD in the other thread said a FULL WRAPPED exhaust.

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The rule says you may remove the heat shielding from the exhaust it doesn't say you can add any. Oh well it was a good race and it looked like fun.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
JD in the other thread said a FULL WRAPPED exhaust.

I am just passing on what I heard from guys in tech. I am sure one of them will pop in here at some point and fill in the details. They are probably getting pretty drunk right about now. Maybe they will jump in here tomorrow. [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty grey or gray:

e. Exhaust System

The factory exhaust system beyond the OEM front down pipe may be replaced, provided:

a. Said replacement system retains the original configuration, e.g. single tube design, and the tubing diameter is a maximum of 2.25 outside diameter.

b. The pipe may end anywhere after the rear subframe. Forward of the rear subframe, the pipe must follow the original path of the OEM exhaust system.

c. No expansion chambers. A single muffler may be added.

d. The system meets all event specific sound requirements.

So it was replaced and it met the conditions provided. Doesn't say you can't VS. Doesn't say you can.

J.D.

FULL wrapped, wrapped whatever, just passing along what I got in a few texts. I have no clue where the wrapping was. I assume it was behind the down pipe to the rear otherwise Lucy has some splainin to do. Getting info during tech not easy so all the normal disclaimers, that I stopped posting long ago, apply.

I'm the first to say that rules are not fully understood until you are defending your prep in a tech situation. I do know I lost qual times back in the day over wrapping the tail pipe and a welded flange. But, again, nothing counts but what is decided at the moment it is decided... You got to love that [duck]

Not sure how long its been since DDG won a big one, well deserved....

Do we need to include the '06 so the '99 wont be "the car" next year? I can open my shop back up? [Razz]

POWERSS Verified Driver

Region: SOPAC
Car #: 81
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for POWERSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From my point of view I thought the race was fantastic.

I want to thank Patrick Sandlin for the clean racing and drafting that we did. A little help for me and for you on the straights.

It was the most aggressive first lap I've been a part of. Steve Ott knows how to get it done.

Seeing the team of Van Hurst an Labonte drafting behind me had me thinking.......Top Class guys after the race.

At the Runoffs I really miss the general impound to talk about the war stories after the race.

Awesome experience.

--------------------
2009 SOPAC Division Champion

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Luney:
Pretty grey or gray:

e. Exhaust System

The factory exhaust system beyond the OEM front down pipe may be replaced, provided:

a. Said replacement system retains the original configuration, e.g. single tube design, and the tubing diameter is a maximum of 2.25 outside diameter.

b. The pipe may end anywhere after the rear subframe. Forward of the rear subframe, the pipe must follow the original path of the OEM exhaust system.

So it was replaced and it met the conditions provided. Doesn't say you can't VS. Doesn't say you can.

well i can guarantee that the 2010 rules will be more specific about the exhaust requirements.

reminds me of the 2003 runoffs driving in SSB. the showroom stock rules back then allowed replacement of the "fluid" hoses as long as they meet OEM standards.

well... i replaced my brake "fluid" hoses with stainless steel braided lines that had a DOT approval.

tech and the stewards approved them BUT for 2004, the comp board made sure to list the exact "fluid" hoses which could be replaced.

end result.... had to put the rubber lines back on for 2004.

congrats to all.

anyone know the names of the engine builders for the top 3?

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

J.D.

Ok, to answer a few PMs regarding my wrap incident in 2002.....

Yes my wrap was wild and not very uniform (rear section, not header or DP). I admit that my wrapping was used to control temperature in the pipe and not to protect the diff or my feet. That was clearly pointed out then [Wink] . What else could I do, my nice expansion chamber pipe was not legal anymore, nor was my 8 pound OZ wheels....

Anyone need a $1,200.00 1.6 custom wrapped DP back tube, I think my market just opened up......??? [duck]

J.D.

quote:
Originally posted by planet-miata.com:
quote:
Pretty grey or gray:

e. Exhaust System

a. Said replacement system retains the original configuration, e.g. single tube design, and the tubing diameter is a maximum of 2.25” outside diameter.

well i can guarantee that the 2010 rules will be more specific about the exhaust requirements.

reminds me of the 2003 runoffs driving in SSB. the showroom stock rules back then allowed replacement of the "fluid" hoses as long as they meet OEM standards.

well... i replaced my brake "fluid" hoses with stainless steel braided lines that had a DOT approval.

tech and the stewards approved them BUT for 2004, the comp board made sure to list the exact "fluid" hoses which could be replaced.

end result.... had to put the rubber lines back on for 2004.

congrats to all.

anyone know the names of the engine builders for the top 3?

I remember that, did not notice until after the SSC race, Joel Lip had them.

DDG, Drago, not sure on Pombo RE maybe, Lamb is Drago as well.

Nothing special anymore, all three looked the same. I heard only the new crate head was tossed, it looked different [Big Grin] .

Veteran Member

Who/what is DDG?

Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 11
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe that Pombo is RRP (Rossini)

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Pretty grey or gray:

e. Exhaust System

To me, this rule reads like this:

You can do anything you want beyond the front downpipe PROVIDED YOU MEET A, B, C and D.

I think wrapping is 100% legal beyond the DP. You can 'replace' it with an exhaust of your own design provided it meets those restrictions.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

MegaModerator

Andy,

I think you are right in your interpretation. The key phrase is "The factory exhaust system beyond the OEM front down pipe may be replaced, provided: "

Think of the rule governing how you install a race seat in the car. It tells you what the seat has to meet in terms of ratings and tells you what mounting hardware to use. It doesn't say what you can or cannot cover the seat with.

That being said, I do think wrapping the pipe is a performance enhancing item. It keeps the trans and diff cooler. Similar to diff vents from years ago. Sounds like the SMAC/CRB should clarify this one.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Bill Whitney Verified Driver

Car #: 54 & 84
Year : 1992 & 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Whitney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Who/what is DDG?

DDG = David delGenio. A longtime northeast builder and one of the original architects of the SM class. He knows how the game is played [Wink]

--------------------
Bill Whitney
NER SSM #54

Roger Caddell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Victory Lane Data

Region: Northwest
Car #: #30
Year : 2007
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Roger Caddell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
quote:
Pretty grey or gray:

e. Exhaust System

To me, this rule reads like this:

You can do anything you want beyond the front downpipe PROVIDED YOU MEET A, B, C and D.

I think wrapping is 100% legal beyond the DP. You can 'replace' it with an exhaust of your own design provided it meets those restrictions.

Andy,

I read this rule exactly the same way... in fact Andrew's Runoffs winning SM in 2006 had the exhaust "Fully" wrapped from right behind the downpipe and it passed tech without any issues.

Congrats to Steve and David for their result today!! I know both of you have worked long and hard for this win.

--------------------
Thanks!

Roger Caddell

Victory Lane Data - Your Aim Data Acquisition Connection!
Andrew Caddell - Personal Website!

Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm what "full" means. I'm assuming it was downpipe back since he passed...

MegaModerator

quote:
Can anyone confirm what "full" means. I'm assuming it was downpipe back since he passed...

Yes that is what I understand it to be from the people I talked to. Back from the flange on the down pipe.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver

Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Andy,

I think you are right in your interpretation. The key phrase is "The factory exhaust system beyond the OEM front down pipe may be replaced, provided: "

Think of the rule governing how you install a race seat in the car. It tells you what the seat has to meet in terms of ratings and tells you what mounting hardware to use. It doesn't say what you can or cannot cover the seat with.

That being said, I do think wrapping the pipe is a performance enhancing item. It keeps the trans and diff cooler. Similar to diff vents from years ago. Sounds like the SMAC/CRB should clarify this one.

I don't think they need to clarify. The more words you add, the more creative we get. No wrapping? Fine. I will weld heat shields on my exhaust aft of the DP. Other than those 4 restrictions, it's FREE provided it doesn't also do something specifically prohibited.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Andy,

I don't think they need to clarify. The more words you add, the more creative we get. No wrapping? Fine. I will weld heat shields on my exhaust aft of the DP. Other than those 4 restrictions, it's FREE provided it doesn't also do something specifically prohibited.
Hmm, I am all for exploring the possibilities. That is a part of good prep. That said, I do think that we should try to make the rules match what most people think the intent was. Intent is meaningless with out clear rules. Does the majority of the class want to go buy wrap for the exhaust and or some new trick welded up heat shield or do we just want to say hey, you guys explored that one and it was a good catch, but let's not make everyone go buy or build one to be competitive? I lean toward the later.

Innovation and prep should be rewarded. That said, the SMAC/CRB are there to reel us back in when we deviate too far from the original intent. That is just the way I look at it. Use your advantage till they figure it out and then find a new way to exploit the rules. Such is racing and such is life. Just my take...

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Whitney:
quote:
Who/what is DDG?

DDG = David delGenio. A longtime northeast builder and one of the original architects of the SM class. He knows how the game is played [Wink]
So, it's (SMcM + DDG)/JD = SM. Am I right? I want to get the equation straight.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Marc,

I was the motor builder for the winners of both the 2009 NASA and SCCA championships.

Stewart built Drago's and Mike Rossini built Matt's.

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So looking at the exhaust as free from the downpipe back as long as you meet the size and what not could you have it ceramic coated and then wrapped?

Dang Karl looks like a good year for ART, no wonder you have mad dance skills, all this celebrating!

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

2001 ARRC Winner

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Edit: Post removed at Karl's request.

[ 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Casey Z ]

2001 ARRC Winner

That brought a smile to my face Tyler. Thanks, I needed that.

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is this 2008 or 2009? Please refresh my memory. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

J.D.

Congrats Karl on the motor win. Would have been better if you was also the driver, for this old timer that is. (no offense to Steve)

J.D.

quote:
Originally posted by Ralliboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Whitney:
quote:
Who/what is DDG?

So, it's (SMcM + DDG)/JD = SM. Am I right? I want to get the equation straight.
Hit the search button, you can get it right by reading.

Shannon = Inventor
David = Tech department
Jim = Sales, Marketing, Funding

DDG put it this way in his shirt, albeit I think both he and Shannon are the actual ones making $s....

-

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
(Casey, tell us who was allowed to insinuate the slow down was purely the result of removing a cheated up part, and why was that post allowed to remain?)

Karl,

I didn't see that post so I can't comment. It looks like it must have been removed as well.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We should have a history section in the FAQ.
So It's multiplied not divided by. Sorry my bad.
(SMcM + DDG)JD = SM

I like the shirt.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

J.D.

History is good, its out there in a post but not in FAQ.

UPDATE ON THE WINNER:

The race was not won on appeal, the protest was pulled and no appeal was needed.

Upon removal of the pipe to pull the tranny the wrapping was noticed by a Steward. The Steward initiated action.

Members of the SMAC retrieved the pipe and inspected it compared to the rules. It is the cat back section in question. The pipe was less than 2.25" WITH the wrapping. The decision was made that since the total size of the pipe with the wrapping did not exceed the rule and no clear definition of "heat shield" is in place to inturpret, the pipe was legal. The SMAC then held a meeting with the Chief Stewart and explained their findings. The Steward's action was withdrawn, no harm no foul.

FYI (geezz my spelling...)

[ 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: J.D. ]

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow.. it was less than 2.25' WITH the wrap?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

J.D.

Smaller RP smaller pipe, is what the dyno is for.... [Wink]

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by J.D.:
Smaller RP smaller pipe, is what the dyno is for.... [Wink]

Bingo... didn't snap to the year!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: