next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Trailer Interiors

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Trailer Interiors
jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since I learned a few tricks from you guys on the whole shoring beam tire rack deal, I figured I'd start this topic and see what else I can learn.

Space is very tight with my 28' trailer with two miata's inside so I'm planning to mount a ton of equipment to the walls. Any advice on what works well and/or pictures of what you have done with your trailer would be great.

Right now I have one shoring beam tire rack in the center of the wheel wells. I'm planning to install upper cabinets up front and a hinged Counter top up front. I need places for spares, chairs, tents, grills etc.

I figure if I lay it all out I'll save a ton of time packing up to head home after the race weekend.

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it an aluminum trailer?

--------------------
Jerry

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, just a steel Pace Pursuit (I think). Can't afford the Aluminum trailers.

--------------------

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lots of pastels & textured fabrics ?

I meant my race trailer interior. Not the Florida trailers that are Hurricane fodder.

--------------------

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used two beams, like I use for the tires and added a plywood platform for chairs, rain gear, parts, etc. You have to duck under it, like with the tires, but it holds a huge amount of stuff.
wheel

Good idea Wheel. Where in the trailer did you place that? Over the axles or toward the back?

Joe

--------------------

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Winch is a must........SM's are too heavy to push. Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Amen on the winch. How did you mount and wire yours? We have a little Super Winch that's been in a box for years and never installed. I'm guessing we'd stick it on the side of the trailer near the door and run the lines through a small block in the center/front of the trailer. Not sure on the wiring.

Joe

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The shelf is over the axles, with the tire rack toward the back.
wheel

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Put 2 more shoring beams by the rear door , except higher, to hold Trannys, Diffs, Radiators, Boxes of all spare parts. Shove the chairs, gear, hand tools in the cars themself. Get a Fuel jug holder (4 or 5 can) mount in front just above where the nose of the miata goes. Just under where the table will fold out too.

In my 28', I haul 2 miatas, scales, tranny, 2 diffs, control arms, spindles, brakes all kinds of spares, long acre scales and alignment gear, a generator + ext cords, tools, 2 fold up tables and 4 fuel jugs + helmet blowers, oil, cleaners, all the regular parts, with some room to spare.

Only thing I dont have is a spare Engine, unless you consider the whole spare car that is in the trailer. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow.

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Cliff,

Thanks again for the ideas. Where do you stick the generator? Is that on the floor? I think I can get another Shoring beam rack above the axles and a third one at the rear of the trailer.

Joe

--------------------

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Generator just inside side door right, fits perfectly as long as it is a samller one (3500 or less), No problem hope it helps

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've seen some wall-mount cabinets at Lowe's/HD/Sam's that are a fraction of the cost of the online trailer-specific retailers. Just make sure you get some with lockable doors.

I think even Sears had some, but they were in the $80-100 range rather than $50-60

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Chris,

I was going to build them myself (father has a cabinet shop) but if HD has them that cheap I might see what I can do with those. I was going to make a backless cabinet so I can maximize the space inside and not have to scribe the cabinets to the curved top front of the trailer ceiling. I might hang some of the HD cabinets on the walls coming down the drivers side of the trailer for a little more upper storage.

Joe

--------------------

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is exactly (I have a Pace) behind that "curve" up front? I have been pondering removing it to expose more space up there (if it is just there for asthetics)....

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Tracy

I actually think it's the skin of the trailer to the outside. They just use that "cap" to connect the roof to the front wall. Can't remove it and it has no structure that I can tell. I was just going to leave the back off my front upper cabinets and make use of the space.

Joe

--------------------

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

**Not trying to hijack this thread**

Im going to paint this interior walls of my trailer (wood) Are there any paint/cover products out there that are more durable than others? easier to apply?

Thanks

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Oil base semi gloss or gloss enamel. Otherwise, if you want to spend a ton of money, two part garage floor paint. The ultimate in durability, and cost, would be the solvent based two part garage floor paint, with the water based stuff second.
wheel

Dan,

I used a good latex exterior wood primer like A100 from SW or similar. Then I used A100 Gloss Enamel Latex on the walls. Turned out great. The Exterior Latex has lots of anti-algae in it which helps if you are in a damp climate. Wheel is right about the garage floor paint. It's pricy but durable, not sure you need that on the walls though? I'd actually say you don't need the oil base paints on the walls unless you have oily stains on them already. My trailer was new so I used the latex. The technology in them these days is excellent. If you have bad stains you should scrub them as best you can then when dry use a oil based primer then I'd follow with the same Latex A100 Gloss. My trailer has shiny walls that are easy to clean and not too hard to touch up. I also did the ceiling.

Joe

--------------------

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

as far as where to mount stuff in the interior, i would first get the trailer scaled with what you have - the 2 cars, the tire rack full, etc. you want to know how much weight is on the hitch. based on that information, you may choose where to mount things to adjust weight distribution.

generally speaking, 10-15% of trailer weight should be on the hitch (20-25% on pin of 5th wheel). i've got a 32' 'bumper pull' and i've had to start moving stuff towards the back to keep the weights right. having a 50 gallon water tank towards the front really starts to skew things!

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Good point. Where can I get my trailer scaled? I have a truck scale place that will weigh the whole deal but I'm not sure the scale will work for just the tongue weight. I haul 22gals of gas and usually place that in the back. Might need to adjust that too.

Can you use car setup scales for a trailer?

--------------------

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oddly, I didn't use exterior paint in my trailer. Realizing all the scuffing the walls were going to take, I found the best INTERIOR paint (that childproof stuff) and used that. It has been great for cleaning it up, and anything that doesn't get cleaned up gets repainted in the offseason.

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i usually use a truck stop scale. the first time is annoying - budget at least an hour, maybe two [Frown] you'll need to weight multiple times.

1) drive up and weigh the whole kit and kaboodle - truck / trailer. make sure the truck's F/R axles are on seperate scale pads, and all the trailer wheels are on one scale pad.

2) pull into the parking lot and unhook the trailer. go back and scale just the truck (still with F/R axles on different scale pads).

now compare the F/R axle weights of the truck with and without the trailer. i assume you are using weight distribution bars, so you should see higher numbers on BOTH axles. The delta on both axles combined is the hitch weight from the trailer.

most of the car setup scales i've seen are not capable of measuring this amount of weight.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Google on how to weigh an RV trailer. There are lots of detailed how-tos and some online calculators available.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are lucky enough to be by an aerospace manufacturer, try to get some expired paint from them.

They have to pay to get rid of it once its expired, so they usually give it away for free.

I painted the floor of my trailer with it and its great. Nothing can damage it.

Any color you want as long as its gray....

I'm finally getting around to making the extra plywood platform with the shoring beams at the rear of my trailer. Any thoughts on how deep to make it? My max would be 5' as that is the length of my E-track. I was thinking of 3' or 4' with a few cross braces for strength. Then put a couple of short sides on it to keep things from sliding off and onto the cars.

Joe

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How long are your arms? I can only reach 2' and grab something without climbing onto the shelf. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mine has space between the tires and the platform, so I have the long time storage stuff on that side, like spare parts that are rarely needed. On the open side I put the chairs, rain gear, etc., that I use every race weekend. It is 3' wide, with 3.5" ends, to hold stuff in.

wheel

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jbenoit28:
Where can I get my trailer scaled? I have a truck scale place that will weigh the whole deal but I'm not sure the scale will work for just the tongue weight.

Here in California, Pilot truck stops have CAT scales that can weigh the axles individually. If that doesn't work, then you can still accomplish the same thing by:

1. Weigh both truck axles + trailer
2. Weigh the rear truck axle + trailer
3. Weigh just the trailer axles

E.g., by pulling forward a little bit at a time, you'll have all of the weights needed to figure out how much is pin weight.

I've spent a lot of time on the scales with my truck and trailer and you would be bloody surprised how fast the weight adds up. Not to mention the huge discrepancy between "curb weight" and "actual weight". 40' Pace gooseneck with two miatas and a mild set of gear was around 15k #.

PS, I'd love to see pictures of your in-trailer storage for the guys that have shelves and stuff built in!

Keith, I can scratch my knees without bending down, can't you? [Razz]

Brian, thanks for the tips on weighing the trailer. I found a local moving company that has a scale I can do that on.

Joe

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: