Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Modified ECU/Computer (Page 4)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 4 of 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  next » 

Author Topic: Modified ECU/Computer
Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Swapping ECU's sounds good to me, I have one of the rare VVT cars. Not many of those on the grid to worry about swapping with. Time to get my ECU in the mail; Remap Air and Fuel (check), Bump rev Limiter to whatever I want (check). Okay, time to go racing.

REALITY CHECK! You are already racing against these modified ECU's anyway (they are for sale on this site). Maybe not every car in class, but certainly 2-4 at every race. You can put blinders on and pretend that a "Sealed" ECU and extra tech will solve the problems, or you can come to terms with it and fix the problem. Muda- If that is the size the 99 RP needs to be then so be it. Then all the 1.6 drivers can rest assured that they have a fair shake, event at RA. The options as I see them:

1) The status quo - Current RP and a 3-5 HP gain via the ECU that is undetectable and available to those willing to spend the cash.

2) A "sealed: ECU - Fancy name for what we have now and will inevitably be beaten. That's the job of a good competitor, to find the gray area. And all of us garage guys will be back wishing we could get a look under the tent.

3) An open ECU is transparent and allows the cars to be equalized at their maximum potential.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
New '99 restrictor plate:

-

Now that's the funniest thing i've seen on this site lately.

Everyone on the SMAC and Drago in my opinion have the RIGHT intentions for the success of our class.

Obviously part of that success is parity, simplicity and cost.

You can't imagine how many calls I get simply because of the 4:30 gear allowance for the 94-97 cars! Our simple rule set in SM gets more and more complicated to newbie's.

Then there is the costs. The 4:30 rule for 94-97 cars have made the perception (most people's reality) that they immediately need to get this changed and invest more money in an area of the car that did not need it from a maintenance standpoint.

After building countless cars of all years, I'll send my comments to the SMAC for what I feel is in Spec Miata's best interest.

With all the talk of open ecu's, my ITA car just might be SM legal in another year or two! [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

Seriously though.... let's keep working to a simple cost effective solution.

remember it's "READY AIM FIRE!"

not "READY FIRE AIM"

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

fleming Made Donation to Website

Region: northeast
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fleming     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CLee:
Are you guys talking about tech at runoff or tech at local events (Nationals/Regionals)?

There are hardly enough tech folks around in the local events. Do you really think they will have the time to look at a bunch of boxes?

And what if someone has an ADDITIONAL STU or other plug compatible ECU in the car.

So you want to check if it is a SM legal ECU? Sure, one will hand you perfectly legal SM ECU, no soldering required...

I beg to differ, the WDCR region had the ECU boxes pulled the top three SM and a few competitors that got popped for not having mirrors. I inspected the boxes with the SM compliance official, Kevin.

Anyone that is going to inspect ECU boxes in the compliance, needs to know the difference of the boxes and the difference of the model years. A 90' miata ECU is not the same as a 93'LX miata, I found out the hard way on this. I'm a service manager in a MAZDA dealership and as a part of special tooling for MAZDA, we have test ECUs. The 93' without ABS, the ECU looks like a regular box. The 93' with ABS is different in the fact that it has more in the box and could get easily confused with something that is not right.
Someone had mentioned in an earlier post about
software that could detect modifications. That already exists, I use it, to brand vehicles, so
manufacture warranty becomes null. Dealers have IDS system and a blackbox, the cars that are equipt with OBDII, the PCM/ECM is scanned for
modifications to the AS-BUILT data, any abnormalities are detected within the perimeters
are then captured and then the components that are modified are void and so is your warranty.

--------------------
"where one ends, one shall begin".

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone who thinks the CRB/BOD would approve open ECUs has not been paying attention to the the progression of rules in SM over the years. Sure you can make a good argument for open, but I seriously doubt it would ever fly.

Like Sean said, how would someone go about sealing ECUs. Fleming, are you saying you can check the mapping changes on all years/ECUs?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

fleming Made Donation to Website

Region: northeast
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fleming     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:

Fleming, are you saying you can check the mapping changes on all years/ECUs?

-bw

Yes and No.. The 90,91,92,93,94, and the 95 (manufactured before Aug 1 1995) are on OBD1, to check for potential issues of being sneaky, is hard.

Checking for Sneaky stuff is really easy on OBDII, the technology is more advanced. Any MAZDA product, miata, MAZDA3, MAZDA6, ect. To detect abnormalities, its modifications made to the As-Built data or a malifunction in the periameters (hence, check engine light). To do this correctly, a code reader, reads generic codes. The IDS system (software and blackbox ($6000.00 UBS cable with adapter) tracks the abnormalities in the perimeters that are set in the As-built data.
I offered once to bring the IDS and blackbox to a
MARRs event and this is what I was told. It is not up to the techshed to find "sneaky car" or
--eaters. The techshed's goal is to make sure that cars are safe. It is up to the competitors to post bonds on cars and owners that are suspected of sneaky behavior.
I will offer this to anyone that might be interested in seeing how this works, I will be more that happy to show this. So it you are in the Baltimore metro area, shoot me a pm.

--------------------
"where one ends, one shall begin".

DDG Verified Driver Series Champ
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DDG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve asked me to read this and I got as far as Deweys reply and couldn't take it anymore. First, Dewey is right and you can get the solder job you want. But the give-away most of the time is the coating. (All of you see the word most?) Second, someone mentioned opening (free) boxes and I think he wants to turn this into a freak show. Shannon and I hoped this class would find the best drivers, not the best pencil necks. I can hardly wait to be re-programing at the track. Third, if someone is smart enough to find a simple/reliable/consistant way to check ALL the different factory updated boxes ALL the time then punt the guy out of the class on the FIRST offense as far as I'm concerned. And I wish them luck. Forth. Someone mentioned smoking dope and that's made the most sense so far.

SCCA made money on this nutty compliance fee for the class. How about when they show up the top however-many qualifiers get handed race boxes? And who knows, you might get lucky and get the one Chip had and re-programed in his trailer when nobody was looking.

David

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

lets see where is that thread on FP?

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DDG:
SCCA made money on this nutty compliance fee for the class. How about when they show up the top however-many qualifiers get handed race boxes? And who knows, you might get lucky and get the one Chip had and re-programed in his trailer when nobody was looking.
David

Hi David

so if this is the case, that an issued box can get tweaked before the race, then how does issuing boxes cure the problem? Not questioning you, just the position that SCCA ECU handouts will solve the problem.

I am all for reducing the complexity of the class, you can see my position on spec tires, but if its not enforceable, or if detection is going to take a huge amount of resources not typically available at regional events, then I beleive that the practice of cheating ECU's will continue, and increase.

Very happy about this debate, especially as to its relevance in the SEDiv, where the occurrence of cheated ECU's is now becoming more widespread.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone who is cheating - STOP IT!

There, problem solved.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have about 50 emails on this subject. All except one was well thought out and offered suggestions. One guy just bitched.

I will take the weekend to get a summary report made out. I will post it as soon as it is done.

An unnamed person was going to send me their dyno sheets. I have not recieved them, yet. Please send to "dave at advanced-autosports.com"

On behalf of myself, the SMAC, the CRB and everybody else involved in this sticky situation;
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT ;-)))))))))

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Steve asked me to read this and I got as far as Deweys reply and couldn't take it anymore. First, Dewey is right and you can get the solder job you want. But the give-away most of the time is the coating. (All of you see the word most?) Second, someone mentioned opening (free) boxes and I think he wants to turn this into a freak show. Shannon and I hoped this class would find the best drivers, not the best pencil necks. I can hardly wait to be re-programing at the track. Third, if someone is smart enough to find a simple/reliable/consistant way to check ALL the different factory updated boxes ALL the time then punt the guy out of the class on the FIRST offense as far as I'm concerned. And I wish them luck. Forth. Someone mentioned smoking dope and that's made the most sense so far.

David

DDG PPS

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
plus a bunch of EXTRAORDINARY WHINERS who moan and groan at the slightest change of status quo.

I also whine about no change in the status quo [Smile]
You whine just to hear yourself whine. [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [burst]
it appears so -- I feel that the CRB does not listen

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
plus a bunch of EXTRAORDINARY WHINERS who moan and groan at the slightest change of status quo.

I was wondeing how long that would take [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was wondeing how long that would take [Big Grin]
Sorry I was busy today [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Shannon and I hoped this class would find the best drivers, not the best pencil necks.

It did, and does, find the best drivers. Mission accomplished. All of this other stuff is just noise. Expensive noise for some, to be sure, but still noise in the big picture of what SM is today, especially at the regional level.

You guys did a great thing, and 10 years on it's still great. I was hoping to have you, Shannon and JD sign my SM sweatshirt at the 25 Hour, but since I had approximately 10 free seconds the entire weekend, I didn't have a chance to seek you guys out.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
All of this other stuff is just noise. Expensive noise for some, to be sure, but still noise in the big picture of what SM is today, especially at the regional level.

/QB]

yes sir! nothing but noise and smoke ... from everyone who has posted here.
we all understand and agree CRB & SMAC must 'attempt' to enforce the existing rules, we all can agree to that. Sooo,
Regional racers can now continue to enjoy their hobby, safe and snuggly warm with their 'perception' that all is well in their world, with this new 'initiative' providing them the assurance anyone hacking their ECU will be caught and banished ... all is well in the world ...
i love happy endings.

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i love happy endings.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Me too ! [yep]

Oh, wait...were you refering to stories or massages ? [Confused] [blush]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you David. +10

See you soon

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David....David who? [Wink]

--------------------
Jerry

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
[QUOTE]yes sir! nothing but noise and smoke ... from everyone who has posted here.
we all understand and agree CRB & SMAC must 'attempt' to enforce the existing rules, we all can agree to that. Sooo,
Regional racers can now continue to enjoy their hobby, safe and snuggly warm with their 'perception' that all is well in their world, with this new 'initiative' providing them the assurance anyone hacking their ECU will be caught and banished ... all is well in the world ...
i love happy endings.

This may surprise you, but the VAST MAJORITY of SM racers are regional folks who just want to go out and have a good time, are not running race shop built engines, and frankly don't give a shit if the next guy on the grid has a cheated up ECU or not. I posted a poll a couple years ago that proved this out, I will have to look it up.

Despite all the noise, I still think SM is the best class going for cost effective, fun, close racing with cars that are reliable and super fun to drive.

--------------------

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
David....David who? [Wink]

He is some hippy Biker from the North East [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I posted a poll a couple years ago that proved this out, I will have to look it up.

/QB]

" a couple of years ago " was a very different time,
the genie was let out the bottle since then.
but, i am now in full agreement with your thoughts, as da warden paid me a visit, cannot let the inmates run the asylum ... will go 'up in smoke' as DDG suggested, now all warm and snuggly ...
[Cool]
P.S. and more than fully agree with your last sentence

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to agree with Pat, SM is a race I look forward to on the race weekend.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Enduro addict

quote:

I literally meant two years ago, like the off season between 2007 and 2008. By that time the "pro motors" had already invaded the mid-pack. It really wasn't all that different from today from a mid-packers perspective... IMHO of course. [yep] [rockband]

Of course, we have a nice laid-back group out here in the Northwest. This summer I'm moving to the shark tank that is MARRS, hopefully those guys will be nice to a newbie. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

I literally meant two years ago, like the off season between 2007 and 2008. By that time the "pro motors" had already invaded the mid-pack. It really wasn't all that different from today from a mid-packers perspective... IMHO of course. [yep] [rockband]

Of course, we have a nice laid-back group out here in the Northwest. This summer I'm moving to the shark tank that is MARRS, hopefully those guys will be nice to a newbie. [Big Grin]

Stock up on body parts. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
quote:

Lots of them! [Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
quote:

and hopped up ecus!

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

SMRacer

Car #: 24
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SMRacer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm new to SM in New England and went to the various shops to get some prices and advice on what it takes to run up front. Driven Performance was my last stop of the day and it was very weird. When I got there a car with Maryland plates was running at the bottom of the driveway with the lights off. I went to the door and a larger man came out through the door dragging what I think was a wiring harness. He looked at me and said "just wait until this year". He got in a car with TN plates and drove away. oddly enough the car that had been at the bottom of the driveway drove after him with the lights still off.

The shop was orderly and clean but a man sitting next to a Miata, obviously drunk was doing something with a laptop connected to the car. He looked like some kind of hippie right out of the 60s. He waved me over, told me when he started out it was all about mixing chemicals, but now the game had transitioned to electronics and that was really his specialty. He handed me what I think was a control unit and said "tell Chip to tape a $50 to the inside cover and Collins will pass it" and passed out.

Well I don't know who Chip or Collins or the big guy from TN is so I put the control unit on the ground and left. I'm going to the shop in southern Mass. They have a cool motorhome and tow truck. they say it's all about fuel pressure, not electronics and their motorhome is great on fuel.

http://www.monarock.com/ddg_at_work.jpg

[ 02-15-2010, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: SMRacer ]

--------------------
Rex Racer
'99 Buyer

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Classic!

Flammable liquids and electricity - unsafe. But I do like the windshield decal!

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ROTFL!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That looks like some kind of crime scene photo. What doesn't belong?

--------------------
Michael Ross

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If that don't sum it all up! BRAVO [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Jerry

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Grey Goose...

Business must be good [Big Grin]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spilled Grey Goose. No punishment is too severe.

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very funny!! But that is an old picture! My hair is not that long anymore. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tears in my eyes - brilliant post!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bahahahahahahaha

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That there was funny, I don't care who you are...

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hehe [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That was pure genius. one of the funniest things i've seen or read on SM.com.

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

old dog

Region: 061
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old dog     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Old dogs are slow dogs.Have blast racing with friends. Don't buy new tires each week.Building 99 but may still be mid pack. ECU mod won't get me up front. NOW A CHEVY CRATE MOTOR AND I CAN MAKE FRONT MID PACK !!! maybe.

SeanH88

Region: OR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you to Jim and SMAC and all who are taking their personal time to away from their families and jobs to work on this issue for all of us.

I trust Drago enough to deal with whatever resolution you guys come up with.

The only issue I have is IF we move to a sealed computer, please do not go to a single source supplier. You have to have multiple locations to get the ECU's from in order to maintain the price integrity.

In the tire world and pro motor world, we have all seen the "house" drivers get special compounds or other things that are not available at any price to the rest of the community. This would/could be the same if we spec a single source for the computers.

Give us 3 options to purchase our sealed computer from in 3 different parts of the country to cut down on shipping costs, and if anyone of the "sealed" computer suppliers is found to be out of compliance then that computer provider is out for life and can no longer provide computers.

I assume that even with a sealed computer program, we would still perform random checks of the computers to ensure proper compliance.

No single source parts please........

Thank you..... Sean

jmac36

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmac36     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean, the only problem with that, is there is only one source in the country that can reflash the boxes to one file then seal them

SeanH88

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello jmac36,

I don't know you and I don't mean to offend you in any way. Let me also say that I don't know anything about ECU's.

With that being said..... I have a hard time believing that there is only one company in the US who could actually handle this. If SCCA owns or determines the file contents with Mazda's help and input it seems to me that they could distribute the file to the 3 suppliers and have them re-flash the boxes and seal them. I doubt the seal thing is proprietary to one company.

If there is only one supplier, then this would just make the whole problem even worse because it might cost less than $200.00 for the "spec box" but it would probably cost $1000.00 for the "Spec Box".

If indeed only one company can handle this I would sure like to know if they are a public company and what their stock ticker symbol is because I am going to buy some stock in them.

Again... I'm not trying to be an ass or offend you in any way, I just need more convincing that this is the case.

Respectfully...... Sean

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IF and it is a "REALLY BIG IF", we ever went to sealed ECUs it would be through SCCA enterprizes. They would not be expensive. And woyuld be single sourced. Still a BIG IF.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean,

I'm sure Joe would be happy to tell you all about the one company who can reflash the boxes and then seal them... [Smile]

Considering he's the one doing them...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

jmac36

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmac36     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean, I own the company that does this, and while I wish sometimes we were public( about the time I need capital for a new race car), we are private.

As far as being expensive, I have tendered an offer to the SMAC to do the boxes for a very low price, around 125-150$ each.

The BIG problem is that even Mazda does not know what files were in what box from what year. I'm sure they could figure out the "as built" data for each car, but you have to remember that there are over 200 variations on files that we have found so far for just the 99-00! So which is the best file, and how do you figure out who has what?And is that the box that came with that chassis?ECT ECT ECT!

As far as being the only source for the sealing, no, but we did design and build the hardware and software to do the boxes without opening , and thats the whole key. Anyone can read and copy the files, if they can open the box.

jmac36

Jason, you say that as if it were something bad?

SeanH88

Thanks for the additional information! Sean

Page 4 of 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: