» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » 99 Front Spoiler

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 99 Front Spoiler
Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does any have any information if there is going to be a replacement 99 front spoiler for the discontinued Mazda model? Mine is cracked and I really need the downforce [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just ban all those stupid things on 1990-1997's and 99+... my 2 cents. It's just one more thing to break.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

er ban the 99 front spoiler! Time for another poll [Big Grin]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh come on, I have an unused one in the garage that I was going to put on eBay and fund my whole race season! [Big Grin]

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not the answers I was looking for [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:

-b

I vote yes, ban the front spoiler on Blake's car. He was going entirely too fast at TWS before he retired again.

Terry- can you make one out of stainless steel? This will prevent any cracking problems [Smile]

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone working on a basement version of these things yet? My car is about ready for paint and it looks pretty naked without it.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

we are working on this with one of our partners hope for news in the next week or two
How many orders can we have?
once molded (if the price is right)Windsor Customs or Mazdaspeed will have them available

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

just patch the crack, they are easy to fix.

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

windsorcustoms.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just in we have been working on this project and have finally come to terms on production. [soapbox]

Now I know that pricing is going to be the biggest factor in finalizing the deal. [twocents]
What I need to know is how many of you would be interested in one (or MORE [Big Grin] ). The quality will be better than that of the OE design by being molded in Gloss Black with no need to paint and prep, maybe more flexible about the same weight.
Yes, any color you want as long as it is Gloss Black. [yep]

We are looking at + - $300 per unit to the racer.

I will be taking deposits on orders...

Fire away with questions

--------------------
windsorcustoms.com

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is this legal? I don't see anywhere in the rules that an aftermarket (non-oem) spoiler is allowed.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

windsorcustoms.com

We will work to adhere to the rules, if all goes well and it gets a Mazdaspeed part number superseded or a replacement number, all is good.

--------------------
windsorcustoms.com

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

-b

Just ban '99+ cars from running. That'll solve both the parity issues and the spolier problem.

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
quote:

-b

Just ban '99+ cars from running. That'll solve both the parity issues and the spolier problem.
+1 [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

-b

Well, pretty soon the early NAs will be able to run in the Historics. Then they can deal with the MGB folks calling for parity. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:
quote:
quote:

-b

Well, pretty soon the early NAs will be able to run in the Historics. Then they can deal with the MGB folks calling for parity. [Wink]
Or we with 1.6's could stay home & we could all listen to the regions bitch because they don't meet their bottom line. [Razz]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-b

Or we with 1.6's could stay home & we could all listen to the regions bitch because they don't meet their bottom line. [Razz]
You're slipping Dave. Took you almost an hour to jump on this.

quote:
quote:
quote:

-b

Those Triumph and MG guys are gonna have a heart attack when the Miata onslaught begins.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am having some identical to originals being made as well(China), a little further behind you on time line. Should be exact copy of the original and hopefully close to original cost from Mazdaspeed.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Mike Anzaldi

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Anzaldi     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

same question though jim...is it going to be legal, or do you know somebody on the rules board? [Wink]

--------------------
Mike

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same deal,ours will be identical, not close. So legal. Also talked with Mazda, ideally they will carry and would be same part number. But they do not want to stock up on 150 of them.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-b

You're slipping Dave. Took you almost an hour to jump on this.
Tom, 6 year old grand daughter was home from school sick. Had grandpa duty caring for her. Not near the computer since early morning.

Folks, it's ok with those aftermarket spoilers. We need to do whatever is necessary to keep those underdog 99's even parity with the 1.6's. [duck]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found one used, put it on my son's car, lasted one weekend. At this rate Jim, I think i will need 12 for this year. Maybe by the time he's 15 he'll stop running over curbs and tires.

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

windsorcustoms.com

The manufacture that I am working with is here in the USA, if I can get a larger order together I can work on getting a lower price.
Just for the numbers the start up investment is close to $30k. I would like to get 100-200 parts accounted for before any price reduction. Once the mold is made and approved, delivery is quick. The first batch can be ready around the first of the year.

--------------------
windsorcustoms.com

KeithSE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KeithSE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The manufacture that I am working with is here in the USA, if I can get a larger order together I can work on getting a lower price.
Just for the numbers the start up investment is close to $30k. I would like to get 100-200 parts accounted for before any price reduction. Once the mold is made and approved, delivery is quick. The first batch can be ready around the first of the year.

Sounds like you are still in the engineering process on this. A six week tooling build over Thanksgiving and Christmas sounds very ambitious. What type of plastic (material) are you going to use? I don't know what the original part used but have read many comments regarding them being brittle. You seem to be in a position to spec an internal design and material that is superior to the OEM part. Some of the plastics out there are incredibly flexible and durable. If you can articulate that in a way so people can understand what you are offering, that may help get people off the couch. Possibly show a similar part using the same material. Just a thought.

--------------------
Keith Andrews

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:
Just ban all those stupid things on 1990-1997's and 99+... my 2 cents. It's just one more thing to break.

+1 Why do we even have these silly things on our showroom stock wannabe cars?

How exactly do lip spoilers make the racing better or cheaper?

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KeithSE:
You seem to be in a position to spec an internal design and material that is superior to the OEM part.

Deviating from OEM spec would make it an illegal part IMHO.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Sacslider
Uber time waster

Region: SFRegion
Car #: #27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sacslider   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:

+1 Why do we even have these silly things on our showroom stock wannabe cars?

They dont but our girlie cars look slightly less girlie with the lip spoilers....

--------------------
Craig Evans
#27 Spec Miata
San Francisco Region
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of another checkered flag.
SpecMiataSuperstore.com

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Question to Chris & or Jim. Are these spoilers vaccum drawn over a mold?

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:

Brake cooling?

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Improved fuel economy? [Razz]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

KeithSE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KeithSE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Deviating from OEM spec would make it an illegal part IMHO.
Right, but if these guys are working with Mazda to build a part that would seem to mean the door is open to make a part that works better for our application. If the external dimensions are the same, why not make a part that can better withstand the race environment. I have not used original part but am interested in knowing more about what is being proposed.

--------------------
Keith Andrews

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: