Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Bent wheel. Now what?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Bent wheel. Now what?
Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bent a Kazera wheel in a bad tire wall incident last Fall. Didn't know it was bent til I mounted a new tire and watched it on the balancer.

I took the new tire back off and put it on another wheel.

Now, what to do with the bent wheel? Can they be made true again? Where does one take a wheel to have that work done? Is there a rule of thumb for "If it is this far out of whack, forget it... buy another wheel"?

Joe Benton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 37
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ye Ole Wheel Shop

(410) 796-8400

6363 Washington Blvd
Elkridge, MD 21075

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It depends on the type of damage. Some can be fixed others not.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't take a chance on a $100 wheel. Pitch it and buy a new one.

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:

+1
is not that much $ to just buy a new one

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:

The best answer

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pitching it is probably sage advice.

After all, I'd probably spend between $30 and $50 for a shop to mess with it. May as well put that toward a new one and have that extra measure of confidence in my equipment.

Just curious, though... have there been SM wrecks because of wheels that broke? I've seen plenty of reports of cracked spokes and such, but I don't think I've seen anyone say they crashed or spun because of a broken wheel.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I fix mine and I know a lot of folks that fix theirs too, for bent rims that is. Shop will tell you if it's too bent to fix.

That $100 wheel really cost you $150+ with shipping, to fix a bent rim cost <$50. I guess I race too much to just buy new when it's easier and a lot cheaper to fix.

I've seen a couple broken ProRace wheels, but no broken Kozeis and only one broken Kazerra after hitting the wall hard.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
I've seen a couple broken ProRace wheels, but no broken Kozeis and only one broken Kazerra after hitting the wall hard.

It didn't hit the wall hard...it hit the Camaro hard and then spun into the wall. [Razz]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ah, much better [Smile]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What happens more times than not when a wheel takes a good shot and breaks and or bends, is that it usually bends down by the mounting face/hub also, which can not be fixed. Remember that most of the wheels used on Miatas are gravity cast or low pressure cast, not forged...they are not really designed to take too much of a beating, one good hit could make it fail the next time.......for $100 or $120 a wheel, it is better to just replace it. Wheels in general on all track cars, especially if raced, should be replaced every two years at the max..they do fatigue after time.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

The hit resulted in the LF lower A-arm being bent, so I'm glad you mentioned that the mounting face of the hub might be bent.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is that if something else got bent as a result of the wheel taking a hit, the wheel is toast.

Gold Member

Sorry I didn't read close enough. Not likely fixable. The bends we get fixed are the result of banging curbs not walls.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Bad Al Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bad Al Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty sure the cost to fix one is about $100

--------------------
"Bad"Al Bell
SM/SSM #3 "JD"
SM #09 "Nadine"
2006 MARRS SM Champion
DC Region SM Driver's Co-Rep
SM cars for sale and rent, and rent-to-own
www.MEATHEADRacing.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: