Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » May 29-31 - SCCA Pacific Raceway - roll call (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: May 29-31 - SCCA Pacific Raceway - roll call
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in for the regional. Repaved turn 2 is very nice! Feels like Portland. Who's coming?? [Big Grin]

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in for regional.

I'll be there early Friday and try to start miataville.

For the newbies that means I'll try to get a big area set aside and we'll all get together.

Open trailers are usually parked way out in the woods but there is some room in my trailer to store stuff overnight.

Bruce, I expect better from the class advisor [duck]

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry I'll keep my comments to myself. Have fun all!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in.

Bruce, I have a set of R-888s for ya [Wink]

[ 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: JimEli ]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I can ever get a day off where I'm not horribly sick and therefore can prep the car, I'll be there. Today is not looking good though. [Frown]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm planning to be there.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Thread Killer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bring your car to the track on Friday and we'll prep it there.

Or at least get it on the trailer and I'll get it after I drop mine off.

G

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A double thread...what do you know about that?

Hoping turnout is huge for Pacific..

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm planning on being there. Probably national only, but as yet undecided.

Thread Killer

You don't want to run with us Mark?

Afraid to get beat by junkyard motors? [Big Grin]

W. Bonsell

Greg - PM sent

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:

Happy to run with you guys, and risk getting beat by a junkyard motor. But not happy (i) to do both regionals and both nationals, or (ii) to share the track with so many disparate cars, at least one of which is driven by an absolute jerk, who seems in addition to enjoy the protection of the stewards.

Jeff Clark Verified Driver

Car #: 07, 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Clark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Clark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:

Happy to run with you guys, and risk getting beat by a junkyard motor. But not happy (i) to do both regionals and both nationals, or (ii) to share the track with so many disparate cars, at least one of which is driven by an absolute jerk, who seems in addition to enjoy the protection of the stewards.
I thought you were talking about me until I read "who seems in addition to enjoy the protection of the stewards."

[Big Grin]

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Clark:
I thought you were talking about me until I read "who seems in addition to enjoy the protection of the stewards."

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definitely the laugh of the month with that one Jeff.

Jim

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ah the Porcshe we all know and love.... "If I'm coming up behind you, you should go off and drive in the gravel. I'm going very fast and my car is very expensive, I shouldn't have to drive off the clean line..." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Ah the Porsche we all know and love.... "If I'm coming up behind you, you should go off and drive in the gravel. I'm going very fast and my car is very expensive, I shouldn't have to drive off the clean line..." [Roll Eyes]

Bingo!

Sorry to disappoint you, Jeff!

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Ah the Porcshe we all know and love.... "If I'm coming up behind you, you should go off and drive in the gravel. I'm going very fast and my car is very expensive, I shouldn't have to drive off the clean line..." [Roll Eyes]

Ha! In Conference, there's a driver of a multi-colored Datsun 240Z (not Skip) that has that same kind of "self-important" attitude. He expects the slower cars (e.g., Miatas, Hondas, etc.) to go off line and let him by. [Roll Eyes]

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,
To give you an idea of this guy's ego... He can be a lap ahead of all other cars, driving in a one car class, encounter groups of cars in a pitched battle, expect them all to put their race on hold to allow him by regardless of where he is on the course, cause an incident with cars in the other class, the entire field will vouch for the other poor soul involved, and the stewards will take the side of this fine upstanding Porsche driver. Must be nice. [yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Just for my own education and as a current PCA member, though Porsche-less at the moment, does this particular driver race a lighter color 911 and does this allowed behavior just surface at Pacific Raceway??

Seems I may have seen some video of an incident at T5 entry involving a 911 and a Z from last year I believe. Is this accurate? And since I will be on track with Group 6 in a few weeks, it would be helpful for my own survival to be "informed" Thanks -

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Veteran Member

Here was the best defense against that jerk, ever.

W. Bonsell

Excellent Mark -

Now I know who this "gentlemen" is....by the way if that was video from your car, I'd enjoy watching the whole thing.....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Veteran Member

Bill, that video was from my car, but I don't have any more of that race weekend (my first SCCA race, BTW, after several Conference novice races; my best time on Pacific Raceways has improved a little less than four seconds since that weekend).

In addition to his being, in general, a bull in a china shop on track, Greg could confirm that this "gentleman" flipped off every Miata driver on track that weekend, for the cardinal sin of not getting out of his way, as he drove laps in his one-car class.

I have no idea why he's the favorite son of NWR, but I know that I'm better off avoiding him.

W. Bonsell

I guarantee you, were he to flip me off, we would have a very serious confrontation! Or at least my 31 year old crew chief would acting on my behalf!

As far as a favourite son of NWR, I thought I was sort of closing in on that! I'll have to check with the powers that be!!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Thread Killer

I have found that thumbs look the same as fingers outside the car so now I keep all my digits in the car.

Has anyone checked the entry list? He may not even be there...

If only we had a lawyer in the group who could sign on as my entrant. Then said lawyer could run nationals (and get smoked) but have the right to throw paper on my behalf if the guy acts up during the regional....

I'll have 3 cameras in the car so there will be evidence...

He wouldn't even have to be a good or fast lawyer, just passionate about the topic....

If only....

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry...the NW is a long way to come to throw paper! I did protest an out of class car in the Daytona enduro and won the protest!

--------------------
Paul McLester

SeanH88

Region: OR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it still Walsh? Why is everyone afraid to say his name? He doesn't seem to care about what we think, so why protect his name?

Dumb question I know, but..... Has anyone gone over and had a conversation with him? Has anyone had a conversation with the stewards? Has anyone protested him yet? I will be more than happy to go have the conversation with him and/or the stewards on the SM's behalf if it hasn't beed done, just let me know.

If it is Walsh, I have already had a conversation with him many years back letting him know that we would be respectful of him if he was respectful of us and it seemed to stop.

The main thing I see here is that we can not go into this looking for him to do something and constantly watching your mirrors of hoping you have the chance to get back at him. We need to go have fun and if something happens again, then we need to be prepared to act on it through the appropriate channels. If the appropriate channels want to protect him, then we can appeal to SCCA national who will not know who he is and will look at the situation objectively.

I'm not aware of anyone of us who is being paid to run a SpecMiata and we all have jobs on Monday so we need to make sure that we are all safe.

Someone please.... Who is it, what car #, what run group?

Junkyard motor...... That was funny [Smile]

Todd Butler - Any suggestions on how to handle this? If Racers are not entering races because of this, then we need to do something.

Respectfully..... Sean

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It is Jim Walsh.
I know that Greg Fordahl used to prepare his car and probably still does. Greg runs a porsche 944 and has a group of about 4-5 other 944s out there running too and they have similar stories. At last years race I mentioned to Greg some the shit that Walsh was pulling on the SM drivers and if I remember correctly Greg told me that he had talked to Jim Walsh about some of the crap he was pulling on the 944 guys. Now I don't remember what Greg said about how Jim reacted to that conversation but I do believe that the wreck between Jim Walsh and the 240z was AFTER that conversation.

Seems to me, Jim couldn't give a shit.

Kyle

Thread Killer

Mark and I have had a talk with him, as has Skip Yocum.

Walsh is untrainable.

I won't let him ruin my fun, but I know of one or more cars that are running nationals to avoid being in a run group with him.

The incident with the 240 was clearly his fault, and the stewards penalized the 240 even with a line of SM drivers giving evidence to the contrary.

That was the last straw for some SM drivers.

My offer stands, if an SM driver wants to be my entrant (or whatever the term is) then they can throw paper on my behalf if he's his usual self in any of the sessions.

Veteran Member

I talked to him two years ago, after he came barreling through a nice race Greg (Pat?), Steve and I were having, almost sending me off the track at turn 7, and Greg at turn 8 (we three were essentially nose-to-tail at 7, Greg/me/Steve; after said jerk carelessly drove through us, we were separated, with Steve in front, me in the middle, Greg third. It felt like Charlie Brown getting hit by a line drive).

To say he was not sympathetic is to way overstate how much he cared. All he cared about was his "race" (remember, he's in a one-car class, a lap ahead of anyone else). And then, after impound, two stewards upbraided me for trying to talk with him; we weren't screaming at each other, just talking.

Last year (I wasn't there), he and a 240Z had a run-in. Apparently, lots of people testified for the 240Z. Given his past behavior, I have no doubt he was being a jerk out there. Nevertheless, the 240Z received a suspension.

Go figure.

Thread Killer

Thanks for taking the bait Paul, but it was for a local guy who I think is a lawyer.

I think that because I have seen that when he is on foot, it is impossible to sneak up behind him in a car. Thats a skill they teach in lawyer school I am told. [Wink]

Gold Member

Sean is right. Something I learned at the last double is that you need to protest and possibly appeal to make the system work. giving the bird is enough to protest alone, if two people can corroborate. I think we've all been subject to this guys crap, so let us know how it goes.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Veteran Member

Funny thing is, they (the powers that be in NWR) know he's a hopeless jerk. When I was getting my annual tech done, they asked if I was going to enter the race. I allowed as how I avoid races where a certain idiotic Porsche driver gets free run of the track. They immediately guessed who I was talking about, and were sympathetic, saying that, if I enter, they'll talk with him. Maybe someone with some power and some sense will talk with him now, but I have trouble summoning up any optimism that either he or they will change their behavior.

Veteran Member

And my limited exposure to the protest system in Oregon, and to the stewards in NWR when it comes to this guy, doesn't make this lawyer enthusiastic about taking this one on. I feel quite sure that whoever takes him on will end up suffering. It's a horrible system, and a bad situation.

Pack Fodder

In addition to being a jerk, he can also be downright dangerous. After he talked to me last year about how the outside of T2 is bumpy so I should move off my line and drive out there if hes behind me because his car is expensive (whatever happened to hold your line and be predictable?), I watched him almost pinch Miko, with an orange square on her bumper, into the wall at the T1 kink. He cut across her bumper close enough and fast enough I thought I might have to dodge scattered car parts.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Thread Killer

I propose a SM drivers meeting.

If most of us can get together, with a steward as witness, and crowd into his pit then explain how we feel at the start of the weekend.

I'll even bring a stack of protest forms so we can all have one ready.

If we could let the steward do all the talking that would be great, but its asking a lot of a steward. I doubt we could get one to help us out with this.

Anyway, show up en masse forms in hand and let him know what we expect. [Smash]

I have a plan B but sharing it here could hurt the process later. [Smash]

Thread Killer

Back on topic:

Bill, how about editing the first post to list who's in, who's out, and who's avoiding whom....

G

Veteran Member

I'm registered for the double national. The offensive driver discussed above is registered for his national class, as well as the regional (one does wonder why such a hot-shot driver, in such a hot-shot car, feels that he gets any benefit from running as the only car in his class in the regional). So I won't be registering for regional.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
I talked to him two years ago, after he came barreling through a nice race Greg (Pat?), Steve and I were having, almost sending me off the track at turn 7, and Greg at turn 8 (we three were essentially nose-to-tail at 7, Greg/me/Steve; after said jerk carelessly drove through us, we were separated, with Steve in front, me in the middle, Greg third. It felt like Charlie Brown getting hit by a line drive).

At the risk of interrupting the griping, I will say that I actually remember that incident with great fondness, as it's the one and only time I've passed two cars at once in T8. [Smile]

--------------------

Enduro addict

I'll throw paper if the need arises. Since I'm taking a two-year hiatus from racing anyway, I don't have much to lose.

That said, I have had good luck and bad luck with Walsh- sometimes he passes me clean, sometimes he doesn't. That means I won't be looking for an excuse to throw paper- if he races me clean, no harm no foul.

--------------------

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Folks, you have to be careful here and completely avoid the appearance of "gunning" for him. As Bruce said, even if he uses his middle finger, that is unsportsmanlike conduct and protestable. Don't let 1 idiot ruin your races or impact your decision to enter or not.
If he does stupid stuff out on track, then file paper and protest him. Tell the stewards in Impound that you intend to protest the incident (or multiple incidents) and THEN FOLLOW THRU! You can file and get your witnesses. Several of you can file similar protests. The Stewards of the Meet would then have to at least consolidate all the similar protests. Protests are logged and recorded and have to be reported up to SCCA National even if disallowed at the event, and you can still appeal if disallowed. Use the damn system!

The only thing unofficial I can (and will do) is drop a note to the NWR folks and let them know that one particular driver in a mixed class is directly costing them entries in their regional race, and suggest they carefully observe said driver in his events. This will of course put the spotlight on you guys as well. You will need to be perfect gentlemen and perfect racers following the rules and using common sense to make this work.

Drivers are usually and understandably reluctant to protest another driver, it can create bad blood. But in this case it seems that the majority opinion here would back up a protest action if called for.

Todd Butler

W. Bonsell

As of May 18th - 1:30pm

REGIONAL:
Bonsell
Boemler
Holz
Freiheit
Cochran
Bush

NATIONAL:
Hui
Freheit
deRegt, Mark
deRegt, David
Cochran
Bockman
Eli

ITA:
Conover

[thumbsup]

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh why did his name have to be Jim? Buggars.

Jim Venable
Dad and other unofficial racing titles for Tim Venable

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Venable:
Oh why did his name have to be Jim? Buggars.

Jim Venable
Dad and other unofficial racing titles for Tim Venable

You're Nice Guy Jim, not Porsche Jim [Big Grin]

That Jim Boemler guy is trouble as well. [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Rawlins

Car #: 20
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Rawlins     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Back to the Original intent of this thread... I'm in..

--------------------
Jason
SM #20

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Me too! Nationals only.

I'm in. Regionals only!

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: