Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Factory Alarms?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Factory Alarms?
jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Over the weekend my sister had her purse stolen from my parents truck while all of us were about 50 yards away at the beach. The police say it's been real bad in the area with this being the 20th of the week. The odd part is that my father set the factory alarm before they left the truck and I did the same in my truck. The thieves broke the rear window and snatched the purse and fled. Nobody saw a thing (as usual). This happened to my old Bronco years ago but the thieves only got as far as breaking my window before someone stopped them.

Now I'm rethinking how I treat my own truck and the gear I leave inside. I'm already a security nut and have locks on nearly everything but my tow vehicle is only protected by the factory alarm. What do these alarms do if you can just bust a window and unlock the vehicle? Are the aftermarket alarms worth the money? The old one I had on the Bronco was a real PITA and I stopped using it. Is it worth getting one of them for the Turbo Timer option (Turbo Diesel Excursion)?

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When you are walking past a parking garage, one your car isn't parked in, and you hear a car alarm inside, do you run in to investigate? I don't.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The thieves walk along the line of cars looking for something valuable. When they see a purse or an iPhone or a laptop bag, they break a window, grab and run. Most of the time, the alarm doesn't go off, when it does it is usually ignored. If it is not ignored, they are 200 yards away before anyone realizes whose car is beeping... they all sound alike.

The way to prevent smash-and-grab burglaries is to make sure nothing valuable is visible in the car. Let me guess, the purse was sitting on the seat or the floor?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alarms are useless when a practiced thief targets your car. You should really secure any valuables elsewhere - that means don't leave anything inside the vehicle - if they don't see anything interesting they will move on to another car.

As for F-250, F-350 and Excursions you may as well leave the doors unlocked. Those flat door handles have plastic pins that hold them in place, with the use of a screw driver a thief can pop the handles and get the door open faster then you can with the key.

I had an F-350 a few years ago that was broken into at a gas station while I was inside the store getting a drink... It was Christmas and the thief popped the door, took the bags of gifts I had just purchased at the mall and was gone in under two minutes...

MZ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys aren't making me feel all warm and fuzzy about this [Razz]

The purse was tucked under the back of the drivers seat out of view. Privacy glass on the rear doors (Mountaineer). Cop said they probably just watched my mother and sister walk away without a purse and assumed it was inside.

I know what you mean about the alarms going off. It's pretty much ignored now. Too bad it's illegal to leave a rabid pitbull in the truck. That would probably stop most thieves.

Joe

--------------------

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dont even look when I hear an alarm go off anymore, as so may are false alarms

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I remember hearing about a redneck who would brag that he had dynamite wired under his seat and would intentionally leave his door unlocked to encourage someone trying to steal it. Nobody tried to steal his car but apparently the guy was a heavy drinker with a bad memory when drunk. [flamed] Probably an urban legend but a pretty good one.

Another thing experienced thieves will do is watch for you to put something, like a laptop bag in your trunk. Then they know right where to go for the goods.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

What if I changed the alarm siren to one of those crazy loud Train Horns. Might make the thief Sheeet themselves. Then I'd get peoples attention and you'd see someone running with a brown stain on their pants. Just a thought. [Big Grin]

--------------------

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last week dad's car was broken into for the radar detector he leaves on the visor. His was one of five cars parked on the front row to his office building, in plain site that were broken into. If it quick and easy they don't care if they're seen, they are gone before you can get the police on the phone.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: