Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Bleeding Brakes - need help

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes - need help
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm using a motive power bleeder. I get the pressure up to 15. Fluid goes into reservoir and the pressure is enough to apply brake pads. Crack open the bleeder screw and no fluid comes out. Is there a check valve or something I am missing?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Perhaps there is some crud in the bottom hole of the bleeder? Take the screw all the way out. Assuming a fountain ensues, the bleeder screw is clogged. [Wink]

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Never could get my Motive to work as advertised. Sold it and use the wife method now.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use one in the shop virtually everyday. Built our own clutch adapter to save us from that task too! Lee, you got it figured out yet???

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We ended up swapping the cap adapter with another motive bleeder known to work. Same result. We tried pumping the brake pedal and the brakes bled perfectly. We ended up using the motive to supply the reservoir with fluid, but there was no way the unit would provide enough pressure to force fluid through the system. All four corners were like this.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the Motiv bleeder with great success but I don't add any fluid to the Motiv reservoir and just use it to pressurize the system as it just means one more thing to clean up when done.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

15 psi on the bleeder tank should be PLENTY to move fluid through your system, like I said, we use one everyday. Did you pull one/all of the screws out to verify them clean?

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok

quote:
Originally posted by panic motorsports:
15 psi on the bleeder tank should be PLENTY to move fluid through your system, like I said, we use one everyday. Did you pull one/all of the screws out to verify them clean?

I'm going to replace all the screws just to be sure.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just add a couple things this from experience.
I have done the bleeding of my brakes by myself and what I do is put glass jars at each wheel with vaccumm line going from the bleeder to the jars with fluid in them. Pump the pedal a few times ad fluid, repeat, tighten bleaeders and I was good to go.
However one time that did not work so I built my self a little unit to gently force fluid back from the bleeder inlet through the line to the master. I will take a picture of it as it is super easy to make and works great when standard pedal pumping does not work.
I always now make sure the dust caps are in place to keep from having a clogged or restricted bleeder.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Motiv bleeder works pretty well as long as you don't put too much fluid in it and let it sit in the engine compartment at a 45 degree angle so that it is only putting pressure into the system. You can tilt it upright to introduce fluid into the master as it runs down. I really haven't used it much on the Miata as a one man bleeder bottle and a push on the pedal works fine.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Adax

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adax     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It will not work if you have Speed-bleeders installed. Apparently it takes more pressure to move the ball valve in those than the Motive unit can generate. Could that be your problem?

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
However one time that did not work so I built my self a little unit to gently force fluid back from the bleeder inlet through the line to the master. I will take a picture of it as it is super easy to make and works great when standard pedal pumping does not work.

Joshua, I have viewed a video of a devise like yours while the guy was bleeding a clutch from the slave back to the clutch master cylinder. I'm very interested in how your devise was fabed. Look forward to your pictures. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a Motive bleeder and have had that kind of problem on a car which had the "Earl's Solo-Bleed" kind of brake bleeder screws:
 -

The SpeedBleeder-style screws (where the valve and spring are internal to the screw body) don't seem to have the same problem.

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

quote:
Originally posted by Adax:
It will not work if you have Speed-bleeders installed. Apparently it takes more pressure to move the ball valve in those than the Motive unit can generate. Could that be your problem?

You may be onto something here. I am not sure what kind of bleeder screws are installed since I have never taken them out since buying the car.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here are a few photos of it:

-
 -
 -
 -
I took a glass oyster jar with metal lid. Drilled the lid for the small brake line and for the valve steam.
Welded the brake line into the lid.
Ask me any questions about it.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joshua,

What type of check valve are you using?

Just to be clear, am I understanding you to say you have one attached to each corner when bleeding or do you move it around?

Thanks,
Jim

"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

SCCA_Racer

That is just a standard tire valve stem.
I slip on the line with the clap to the bleeder screw after priming the line first. Add small amount of pressure to the jar and all air will be forced back into the master cylinder return circuit. The only draw back is you must watch the master cylinder fluid level as to not overflow it.
Yes, I do move it from wheel to wheel forcing the air out with the fluid.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I made a similar tool using an oiler can when I couldn't get the clutch on my '89 Chevy to bleed.
Works great!

Seems like you could adapt a Motiv to do the same thing... [scratchchin]

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Joshua........... [thumbsup]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: